Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering both a Stelvio as well as a Porsche Macan. It appears the Porsche will cost approx $15,000 more.

But the two cars have a lot in common. Any thoughts on why I should pick a Stelvio over the Macan?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am in the same quandary as you. I have driven both vehicles, and I really think it comes down to what your needs and priorities are.

1) I think the driving experience gives the nod to the Alfa, (but not by much).
2) The interior is nicer in the Porsche, and you can customize just about any way you want. The infotainment system is comprehensive and works well. Better than the Alfa.
3) I had a Cayenne in the past and my wife currently has a Boxster. The quality and build is excellent. Alfa is kind of a question mark since these are brand new, but I feel that it should not be a problem. The question is whether it will be at the level of the Porsche.
4) Cost. I feel that the Porsche is quite expensive and the better value is the Alfa.

It comes down to what you feel is important to you. You need to drive both and spend some time in them playing with the controls and looking at things like the infotainment system, driving position and comfort, etc. I don't think you will go wrong with either vehicle.

Leaning toward the Alfa, and waiting to drive the Quad to see the difference. Then I will make my decision. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In addition, I think the Alfa for me is much more aesthetically pleasing. I can't figure out why. Thinking outside the box, I've always wanted an Italian car.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I came from a Macan Turbo before the Stelvio and didn't miss it one bit. The Stelvio is more fun to drive even though it has a lot less horsepower. It makes up the difference by being a lot lighter and more nimble around the corners. The steering quickness is quite addictive. The Macan felt very heavy and "clumsy" by comparison. I think you'll be very disappointed with the base Macan as it's very slow and Porsche nickles and dimes you on every little option when the Stelvio gives you a lot of things standard and the options are reasonably priced.

Cargo space is garbage on the Macan with the steep sloping rear end. The liftgate won't close if you have anything slightly taller.

BTW, the Macan bi-xenon headlights on my 2016 were very poor. They were laughably dim at night and comparable to halogens. The Stelvio headlights are very nice and illuminate a wide area even on low beam. I prefer them over LEDs on my other BMW.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing that has me concerned about the Stelvio. Right now, we should be able to get warranty work done at any Fiat/Chrysler/Dodge dealer

But there are strong persistent rumors that Fiat is planning to put Alfa Romeo together with Maserati and spin the company off. I can believe this is a real possibility because they spun off Ferrari about two years ago.

If that happens, we will still be able to get our warranty work done at US Fiat/Chrysler dealers?

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Of course. Corporate is operating from strength not weakness. But there's always a risk/return tradeoff - calculated infinitesimal. From what I know Porches cost a fortune to maintain so it seems there is risk in either choice. Reputation is important and as discussed frequently this is Job 1 for the brand. Nothing worse than a righteously obnoxious consumer shouting from the treetops.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only thing I didn't like about the Stelvio I test drove yesterday was the tires on it. It had Continental tires.

Every Macan I've ever seen either had Michelins or Pirellis.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One thing that has me concerned about the Stelvio. Right now, we should be able to get warranty work done at any Fiat/Chrysler/Dodge dealer

But there are strong persistent rumors that Fiat is planning to put Alfa Romeo together with Maserati and spin the company off. I can believe this is a real possibility because they spun off Ferrari about two years ago.

If that happens, we will still be able to get our warranty work done at US Fiat/Chrysler dealers?
This is my biggest concern

·
Registered
534 Posts
The only thing I didn't like about the Stelvio I test drove yesterday was the tires on it. It had Continental tires.

Every Macan I've ever seen either had Michelins or Pirellis.
Was there something you didn't like about the tires when you drove it, or are you just basing it on the brand name?

1/3 of all cars in Europe have Conti's on them and they make a great tire. In the last few years I've switched all my vehicles to summer and winter Conti's and won't go back.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
I would say if brand is important you should go Macan- but with the $15K pre-deal you can sure buy some amazing tires and wheels if Conti's don't do it for you and keep the change. Heck, I'd have gone Levante at that!

·
Read Only
849 Posts
I work for porsche and I know and drive all the brand models, Macan is different but good. The big problem is the price, impossible for me to buy it. Drive sensations are different, Macan is very serious and luxury style, stelvio is much more crazy and casual. I love very much both the cars but I have now stelvio.

·
Registered
330 Posts

You don't want to get your warranty work done at US Fiat / Chrysler dealers.....the best thing FCA can do for Alfa is ONLY SELL AND SERVICE THEM THROUGH MASERATI DEALERS....

·
Registered
330 Posts
I am in the same quandary as you. I have driven both vehicles, and I really think it comes down to what your needs and priorities are.

1) I think the driving experience gives the nod to the Alfa, (but not by much).
2) The interior is nicer in the Porsche, and you can customize just about any way you want. The infotainment system is comprehensive and works well. Better than the Alfa.
3) I had a Cayenne in the past and my wife currently has a Boxster. The quality and build is excellent. Alfa is kind of a question mark since these are brand new, but I feel that it should not be a problem. The question is whether it will be at the level of the Porsche.
4) Cost. I feel that the Porsche is quite expensive and the better value is the Alfa.

It comes down to what you feel is important to you. You need to drive both and spend some time in them playing with the controls and looking at things like the infotainment system, driving position and comfort, etc. I don't think you will go wrong with either vehicle.

Leaning toward the Alfa, and waiting to drive the Quad to see the difference. Then I will make my decision. Hope this helps.
Obviously preferences re: style and function and drive will vary from person to person...
1) Alfa is the better driver....By enough to be noticeable...
2) Interior styling in the Macan looks substantial but very FUSSY....too many buttons on center console and looks too sterile...I own an Alfa White Stelvio Ti Sport with the Red Sport seats and I think the interior is stunning, elegant and simple....no overwhelming buttons...just a simple, austere, stylized look...For me..Stelvio is nicer
3) I've owned 6 Alfas and never felt let down by build quality ...my 164 S's doors are like bank safe vaults....SUPER SOLID...
4) Can't justify paying $15 K more for a Macan....some might call it a glorified VW.....

Reactions: ssochs

·
Registered
275 Posts
4) Can't justify paying $15 K more for a Macan....some might call it a glorified VW.....
If you want strong resale value, you have to go with Porsche, especially the base models. There is always strong demand for these cars. I got positive equity on my Macan at the end of the lease and sold it to CarMax for a nice profit. :grin

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you want strong resale value, you have to go with Porsche, especially the base models. There is always strong demand for these cars. I got positive equity on my Macan at the end of the lease and sold it to CarMax for a nice profit. :grin
That is a concern for sure when leasing....Residual value is just not there yet for the Alfa...For me, the utility vehicle in our family is used for trips and usually accumulates a lot of miles...Therefore, I usually finance for purchase and as I approach the end of the warranty, trade in for new...when purchasing the Stelvio Ti Sport, I traded a 2016 Volvo V 60 R Design that had 40,000 miles (mileage overage cancelled service - 3 years 30,000 miles for service and at 40,000 miles I was looking at tires and brakes) so by shopping around, I found a dealer that gave me nearly $3500 over what I owed....For those of us that put miles on these vehicles, leasing is not a great option so the up front difference is cost is a bigger concern...D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But how many Maserati dealers are there? I know there is one in Edmond, where I live. But they're not exactly all over the place like Nissan dealers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL. It's true that Volkswagen AG owns Porsche. But the Porsche and Piiech familes own a controlling interest in Volkswagen.

You can just as easily say that an Alfa Romeo is a glorified Chrysler.

·
Registered
330 Posts
But how many Maserati dealers are there? I know there is one in Edmond, where I live. But they're not exactly all over the place like Nissan dealers.
This is true....such is the compromise when dealing with a "start up" brand (at least Stateside)....Just don't think the Dodge / Chrysler / FIAT techs are up to speed with Alfas....This all goes back to why, in the first place, did Marchionne even have any interest in buying Chrysler ? He purchased it for "Brick and Mortar" ...established dealer network, production facilities, service facilities....applied BMW's / Mini Cooper model for FIAT - Stand alone boutiques to reintroduce the marque and service them with Chrysler with dedicated techs....no need to build major showrooms (the Fiat stores tend to be small-at least where I am) and so FIAT + Chrysler = FCA was a marriage of convenience and mutual need...not love...the problem with that model is that if Alfa wants to play in the BMW, AUDI, MERC, PORSCHE playground, their image should be linked to MASERATI...no FIAT...

Reactions: AugurMan
1 - 20 of 76 Posts