Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been hanging out and doing research on buying a quad for a while. One of the things I haven't been able to nail down is the weight. I'm seeing 4313 lbs in a lot of places on-line. Is that accurate? I'm seeing 3900 for a sprint and just over 4000 for a Ti with AWD. Is a quad really 300 lbs heavier than a Ti AWD? The motor is obviously bigger, but 300 lbs bigger? Anyone put their car on a set of scales?

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is more to qv than just shoving a heavily strained biturbo v6 instead of a run of the mill turbo 4cyl. Extra cooling, the turbos, bigger brakes, wheels, lsd, bracing and reinforcement to cope with the power and aggressive cornering, different suspension.
whilst it’s hard to establish the absolute weight as not many cars get put on the scales but you are simply interested in the difference. Manufacturer quoted kerb weights will be like for like and are okay for this.

Stelvio qv is very light for a performance awd family friendly car with supercar ball park straight line performance. I’m struggling to think of anything lighter. So its weight is typically seen as a plus not a minus.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Car and driver put theirs on the scale at 4309lbs so yeah. Its a truck. Its heavy. Giulia qv is 3822lbs weighed by them.

For a truck 4300 is really not too bad. The macan turbo is over 4400lbs

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Quad
4 Posts
4300 is pretty light compared to Audi SUVs. My wifes 2018 Q5 tips the scales at 4600lbs (C&D) with a 4cyl turbo motor and half the hp as my Quad. The SQ models only get heavier as does the RS6 and RS7, all of which are slower.

I was wondering how Alfa kept the weight down.. Till I wanted to shave the rear Alfa Badge (nose) and found out the rear hatch is aluminum and no body shop would touch it.. =(

Ken

·
Registered
608 Posts
4300 is pretty light compared to Audi SUVs. My wifes 2018 Q5 tips the scales at 4600lbs (C&D) with a 4cyl turbo motor and half the hp as my Quad. The SQ models only get heavier as does the RS6 and RS7, all of which are slower.

I was wondering how Alfa kept the weight down.. Till I wanted to shave the rear Alfa Badge (nose) and found out the rear hatch is aluminum and no body shop would touch it.. =(

Ken
Audis are heavy but the rs7 is not slower. It does 0-60 in 3.0 or better and 11.2 at 122 in the quarter. Theyre rockets

And the audi q5 is 4180lbs

The 6 cyl turbo sq5 is 4400.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Quad
4 Posts
Opps.. you are right on both but for some reason C&D is showing the 2022 Q5 at an estimated 4650... that new mild hybrid must be super heavy.

I still can't believe that the RS7 is 5000 lbs.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
300 extra lbs for almost a liter of displacement, 2 cylinders another turbo and all the required exhaust plumbing, stronger, larger engine mounts, structural bracing, etc, really doesn't seem like much. I mean the difference between an X5 V6 and X5M is 600 lbs. Also a 2 cylinder difference. (Both of which are heavier than a Stelvio Quad)

Let's not bother to mention how the Alfa carries it's weight primarily between the axles with a very small amount hanging infront of the front axle, whereas Audi carries a significant portion of it's weight in front of the front axle, it's also placed higher up in the engine bay. Yeah they do alot of suspension wizard-stuff to make up for it. Still..arguably inferior, and arguably drives like it. Not that the Audi is bad...it is however quite different, more luxury-oriented even in the "performance" models. The Stelvio you don't have to put performance in quotes.

Got a question, since ya know...it's heavier....like ALOT heavier...

Is the RS7 a truck?

I mean it has less body roll than a Stelvio...also doesn't corner as effortlessly. Neither can fit a sheet of plywood and pallet of bricks, or carry a couple dirt bikes, maybe an ATV or 2, I always though that was the stuff that made a truck....

..like..if Land Rover corporate finds out you call anything they sell a "truck" they might refuse to sell you a vehicle. If they aren't trucks...don't see how the Stelvio is. Neither is it a sedan...might be an SUV....

·
Registered
608 Posts
Opps.. you are right on both but for some reason C&D is showing the 2022 Q5 at an estimated 4650... that new mild hybrid must be super heavy.

I still can't believe that the RS7 is 5000 lbs.
Lol yeah the rs7 is a locomotive. Ill be honest ive had 11 audis now (mostly s4 and s5) and they all drive pretty heavy. Theyre ridiculously capable but not as light and fun feeling as the giulia. Never had an audi suv to compare to the stelvio but id be shocked if it was any different. Biggest audi i had was an a6 3.0t and i got rid of it in a 2 months. It was just too big driving. No fun. But running 11s with a simple piggyback is nice.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It’s a bit of a porker for sure but that’s the case for most new cars. I did have a 2011 Jaguar XJL Super- the long one - with a supercharged v8 that weighed 4200 lbs sue to all Aluminum construction. My Ti with smaller engine, no sunroof and 19” feels agile, not having that extra weight up high helps a little.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Quad
4 Posts
I gotta admit, I'm an Audi guy... I secretly liked my wifes Q5 alot. My A4 drove better, 400+ lbs lighter and was wayyy faster but liked how the q5 had a higher up driving position, pano-roof and all my crap fit in the hatch way easier.

Both Audis would make horrible weekend cars tho. Nothing against audi but they don't have a lot of personality, which makes them perfect dailies. The Alfa on the other hand.. Maybe too much? I sold my beloved Lotus Exige and my Audi last year and needed something to bridge them into one and mission accomplished. It really is a high riding sports car.

My wife still hasn't driven my Alfa.. Shes too scared of it..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The vehicle I would be replacing is a STi hatch, which weighs 3400. A big difference, but that's going to be the case with any SUV, even if "small". I was just thinking the Stelvio was more like 4000, but guess that was the Ti.

Strangely, the STi actually has more cargo space behind the rear seats than the Stelvio - .5 cu ft according to the C&D specs. I think that's due to how narrow the Stelvio cargo space is behind the seats. Once you fold the rear seats down the Stelvio has more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The vehicle I would be replacing is a STi hatch, which weighs 3400. A big difference, but that's going to be the case with any SUV, even if "small". I was just thinking the Stelvio was more like 4000, but guess that was the Ti.

Strangely, the STi actually has more cargo space behind the rear seats than the Stelvio - .5 cu ft according to the C&D specs. I think that's due to how narrow the Stelvio cargo space is behind the seats. Once you fold the rear seats down the Stelvio has more.
I described how my Stelvio drives recently as a big Subaru WRX. If you liked how your Subaru drives you're going to love the Stelvio.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My wife still hasn't driven my Alfa.. Shes too scared of it..
That is my problem too. My wife had several SUV before but she is scared by the Stelvio QV. This might force me to buy a SUV for her eventually when she will change her current car. I was hoping to share this one so we don't have multiple SUV.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you say so I'm sure you verified it but so far I never had a chance to complain about the cargo space in the Stelvio. I took friends to the airport with a couple of largeluggages and smaller stuff and was no problem eliminating the top cover. For sure I can load much more than my previous car a Mercedes S class. For a normal family I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sadly, the 2022 options for the QV are pretty much non-existent according to the ordering guide that was posted. And the QV sport seat appears to be the same as in the Veloce, which is just all black leather without the alcantara. I was thinking of the montreal green with ice/white accent trim on the interior, but there is no option for white or red trim anymore. You just get all black. No option for exterior carbon fiber either, though the carbon fiber steering wheel looks to be standard. I'm not going to spend $85K+ on a vehicle that isn't exactly what I want so unless Alfa revises the options I won't be looking any further at a 2022. The only other color that interested me was the comp red (which is gone for 2022). I may look and see what deals are around on 20/21 models, but the montreal green was the whole reason I got interested in the Stelvio in the first place.

·
Registered
64 Posts
alfa qv is about driving and how it makes you feel. You will not find out about it doing your research and it is not affected by options. Go and test drive one. If it is for you will have a shortlist of one because for what it does nothing else comes close. Then options or colour you can choose will not really matter that much. If you find yourself worrying about a carbon fibre trim or how much you pay per horsepower it’s probably not for you - take your money elsewhere.

·
Registered
413 Posts
At Fullerton Alfa in NJ there is a nice 2021 black quad with red interior accents. Good dealership, I picked up my 4C there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts