Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m dropping by the Greensboro Alfa dealership in a couple of days, to have my black START button swapped out for a red one, and at the same time I plan on asking the service manager a few questions about the various items that seem still unanswered, like, is my rotary pad touch sensitive or not.

If you have a question you’d like me to ask the dealer dude, please respond and I’ll do my best to get an answer.:nerd

·
Registered
534 Posts
Just the usual, what information do they know about Apple/ Android.

·
Registered
508 Posts
On a very recent trip to The Netherlands i found out that the Stelvio comes in 2 types of engines for that market. Both are 4 cylinder gasoline engines but one has 280 HP like here in the US and the other has 200 HP!

I also heard that the 2019 Giulia will have a 350 HP engine and it will be called the Giulia Veloce! Can you ask if there are similar plans for a 350 HP Stelvio for 2019?

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
I’m dropping by the Greensboro Alfa dealership in a couple of days, to have my black START button swapped out for a red one, and at the same time I plan on asking the service manager a few questions about the various items that seem still unanswered, like, is my rotary pad touch sensitive or not.

If you have a question you’d like me to ask the dealer dude, please respond and I’ll do my best to get an answer.
Any news on US spec hitch and cross bars + rear bumper protector to for the top surface? Does the oil change schedule measure oil viscosity (as I was told by one dealer) electronically or is it simple distance 10K miles? Best way to clean the chrome exhaust cans? Best way to clean inside the open wheels (do they have a brush)? Where is the dip stick- haha- credibility test?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Installing the red button and taking out the black button, is a warranty thing some of the vehicles, black button. If you’re just having it replaced and they’re going to give your button back, let me know if you’d like to sell it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Making the List...

While cooking some peppered bacon, feeding the dogs, and making beef stew on this clear and brisk Footballday morning, I am starting the final list of things to discuss with my dealer, tomorrow afternoon, about idiosyncratic systems, et al, as they install my new “in your face” red start button.

So I have a few questions listed, including the ECU reset that just popped up, and the CarPlay, and rear door foot sensor, and touch top infotainment pad, but while I’m screwing around the kitchen with the cooking, I’ve got time to add to the list if you have questions for the dealer.

Regards,
Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
questions to ask

While cooking some peppered bacon, feeding the dogs, and making beef stew on this clear and brisk Footballday morning, I am starting the final list of things to discuss with my dealer, tomorrow afternoon, about idiosyncratic systems, et al, as they install my new “in your face” red start button.

So I have a few questions listed, including the ECU reset that just popped up, and the CarPlay, and rear door foot sensor, and touch top infotainment pad, but while I’m screwing around the kitchen with the cooking, I’ve got time to add to the list if you have questions for the dealer.

Regards,
Frank
_ Does installing the RED button switch void the warranty since it is not OEM? (I think)
_ Labor time that your Alfa Romeo dealer will charge to remove and replace (R&R)? Hourly rate charge for labor will vary for every US car dealer, so this information might be more useful than stating it costs me $XXX to do the work.

_ QUESTION TO MADNESS AUTOWORKS: what is the warranty for the part?

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
_ Does installing the RED button switch void the warranty since it is not OEM? (I think)_ QUESTION TO MADNESS AUTOWORKS: what is the warranty for the part?

could be mistaken here, but I think it is an OEM button from the QV, so probably no issue with warranty except that if it broke the dealer would replace it with the black button that was stock to his VIN.

·
Registered
381 Posts
swapping for the red stop/start button

If you have a question you’d like me to ask the dealer dude, please respond and I’ll do my best to get an answer.:nerd
TiSport -
Did you finally get it installed?
How much was the cost and how long did it take the dealer to install it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
_ Does installing the RED button switch void the warranty since it is not OEM? (I think)
_ Labor time that your Alfa Romeo dealer will charge to remove and replace (R&R)? Hourly rate charge for labor will vary for every US car dealer, so this information might be more useful than stating it costs me $XXX to do the work.

_ QUESTION TO MADNESS AUTOWORKS: what is the warranty for the part?

I installed mine last weekend. First, the button is OEM. It's identical to the black button.

Second, I asked my dealer to install it during the oil service, and they claimed that it wasn't compatible. They clearly didn't want to install it, or couldn't be bothered because it works just fine.

There are installation instructions on Eurocompulsion's website, that makes the process simple.

Eurocompulsion is a fantastic vendor by the way.

Link to the instructions:
https://shopeurocompulsion.net/blog...giulia-stop-start-ignition-switch-replacement

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dropping by dealer shortly - red start button continued

could be mistaken here, but I think it is an OEM button from the QV, so probably no issue with warranty except that if it broke the dealer would replace it with the black button that was stock to his VIN.
The button I received is an OEM Alfa Part... Heading over to the dealer shortly...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines, with an "In Your Face" red start button... Again, the person that let a Volcano Black, with Black/Red interior leave the factory with a black start button should be relegated to lug nuts... Now, let me tell you friends and Alfisti, replacing the button is not for the faint hearted, or impatient.

First off, the whole front and guts of the steering wheel have to be removed - ie., center air bag unit, and surrounding switch facia unit, that includes both sides of the steering wheel controls, including that most perfectly placed volume control.

Second off, the leather and fitting of the facia are so tight, that Sandy (shown below) worked for about 10 minutes after all the screws and connections were removed, just to remove the unit. (The air bag unit came out much easier.) A bit scary, more to follow...

I'd say there were about six or so screws in all, and a lot of tight hand work taking about 8 or 10 electrical connectors apart, along with the other work (disconnecting the battery, very first thing - cool quick disconnect wire harness). Three of the main screws are on the back of the steering wheel, requiring mad contortionistic skills, so if you are planning to do this project by yourself, unless you are a seasoned tech, plan for a bunch of time, do a good stretching warm up, maybe some yoga, and have a bang head here poster around for when you try to get the switch facia out - and be careful - the middle lower part of the facia is not that thick - Sandy really took his time on that and I was very glad - it just looks like one of those things that you could mess up real easy if you're not careful.

So, after about two hours of hanging out, chatting and working through all the steps, bam, IN YOUR FACE. The new button just looks right.

RE other things we've been discussing...

CAR PLAY - see the last picture, which is close to the end of the window sticker on a 2018 Giulia, clearly showing the charge for both Apple and Android systems. In speaking with Ken, one of the super sales folks here in Greensboro, and the guy I worked with, he says this is the first indication he's had that the systems are getting closer to being up and running. He also says that he has never seen a purely "software" charge on a sticker, so he believes that if you have those items showing on your window sticker, the hardware is installed, and you are only waiting on the software to be completed (if not already and just not released yet). He speculates that it will not be easy to obtain or install the car play systems post purchase, so if you are waiting - the hardware is starting to show up now, and the software will come along in time.

Touch Top Rotary controller - with respect to the touch top rotary knob and the HK upgrade, Ken's thinking the hardware is already installed, and the software delayed. In speaking with Sandy (lead Tech at Greensboro Alfa (FCA) on Wendover Ave), he's unaware of any recent bulletins on the software releases, and can't really speculate on timing. If you have more info, please chime in.

Sun Roof - with respect to the double sun roof, it is designed to have a two stop automatic opening function, hit the right-most button once, and it opens about 6 inches, and hit the button a second time, and it opens another 6 inches to its widest opening, so mine may have been working as designed, I just did not know the design...

Accessories - with respect to hitches and roof racks, Sandy could not speculate on when we'll see more in the USA on that. I have still not found the right Thule connectors/bars, but I think I saw an audi suv with a similar rail system, so my hopes are up - if anyone can add to that discussion, please do.

Mileage - I have just over 2k on my Stelvio now, and was hitting the 21.1 MPG mark - not a lot of highway miles, and I love to drive in manual, so hey, there you have it. I'm heading down to Charlotte to referee several soccer matches tomorrow, and will reset the averages (hold in on the aluminum tip of the windshield wiper arm for three seconds or so), before I take that drive, which I intend to do mostly in the A mode for comparison purposes - will try to drive all day in that mode, if I can keep from slipping it into manual... could be tough...

(I do have the old start button; someone was interested in that, juzlemmeknow...)

Ciao,

Frank

(And a huge grazie mille to Amis (service front man), Sandy (lead tech), and Ken (sales) for all there time and help - the Greensboro FCA team is really excited about Alfa, and shows it.)

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines, with an "In Your Face" red start button... Again, the person that let a Volcano Black, with Black/Red interior leave the factory with a black start button should be relegated to lug nuts... Now, let me tell you friends and Alfisti, replacing the button is not for the faint hearted, or impatient.

First off, the whole front and guts of the steering wheel have to be removed - ie., center air bag unit, and surrounding switch facia unit, that includes both sides of the steering wheel controls, including that most perfectly placed volume control.

Second off, the leather and fitting of the facia are so tight, that Sandy (shown below) worked for about 10 minutes after all the screws and connections were removed, just to remove the unit. (The air bag unit came out much easier.) A bit scary, more to follow...

I'd say there were about six or so screws in all, and a lot of tight hand work taking about 8 or 10 electrical connectors apart, along with the other work (disconnecting the battery, very first thing - cool quick disconnect wire harness). Three of the main screws are on the back of the steering wheel, requiring mad contortionistic skills, so if you are planning to do this project by yourself, unless you are a seasoned tech, plan for a bunch of time, do a good stretching warm up, maybe some yoga, and have a bang head here poster around for when you try to get the switch facia out - and be careful - the middle lower part of the facia is not that thick - Sandy really took his time on that and I was very glad - it just looks like one of those things that you could mess up real easy if you're not careful.

So, after about two hours of hanging out, chatting and working through all the steps, bam, IN YOUR FACE. The new button just looks right.

RE other things we've been discussing...

CAR PLAY - see the last picture, which is close to the end of the window sticker on a 2018 Giulia, clearly showing the charge for both Apple and Android systems. In speaking with Ken, one of the super sales folks here in Greensboro, and the guy I worked with, he says this is the first indication he's had that the systems are getting closer to being up and running. He also says that he has never seen a purely "software" charge on a sticker, so he believes that if you have those items showing on your window sticker, the hardware is installed, and you are only waiting on the software to be completed (if not already and just not released yet). He speculates that it will not be easy to obtain or install the car play systems post purchase, so if you are waiting - the hardware is starting to show up now, and the software will come along in time.

Touch Top Rotary controller - with respect to the touch top rotary knob and the HK upgrade, Ken's thinking the hardware is already installed, and the software delayed. In speaking with Sandy (lead Tech at Greensboro Alfa (FCA) on Wendover Ave), he's unaware of any recent bulletins on the software releases, and can't really speculate on timing. If you have more info, please chime in.

Sun Roof - with respect to the double sun roof, it is designed to have a two stop automatic opening function, hit the right-most button once, and it opens about 6 inches, and hit the button a second time, and it opens another 6 inches to its widest opening, so mine may have been working as designed, I just did not know the design...

Accessories - with respect to hitches and roof racks, Sandy could not speculate on when we'll see more in the USA on that. I have still not found the right Thule connectors/bars, but I think I saw an audi suv with a similar rail system, so my hopes are up - if anyone can add to that discussion, please do.

Mileage - I have just over 2k on my Stelvio now, and was hitting the 21.1 MPG mark - not a lot of highway miles, and I love to drive in manual, so hey, there you have it. I'm heading down to Charlotte to referee several soccer matches tomorrow, and will reset the averages (hold in on the aluminum tip of the windshield wiper arm for three seconds or so), before I take that drive, which I intend to do mostly in the A mode for comparison purposes - will try to drive all day in that mode, if I can keep from slipping it into manual... could be tough...

(I do have the old start button; someone was interested in that, juzlemmeknow...)

Ciao,

Frank

(And a huge grazie mille to Amis (service front man), Sandy (lead tech), and Ken (sales) for all there time and help - the Greensboro FCA team is really excited about Alfa, and shows it.)

It took me about an hour to install the button. The instructions on Eurocompulsion's site were a lifesaver. I honestly didn't think it was that difficult to do. It's just very important to NOT unplug the airbag. I chose to swap out the hex bolts for philips bolts that hold the steering wheel buttons when I reassembled because it was easier to reassemble. Access was a bit tight, but I was mentally prepared for it.

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
I noticed a 2nd 'stick-on' option on Amazon yesterday. Anybody have any experience with this? I am probably not a good candidate to do anything like this myself.

Reactions: treeper

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I noticed a 2nd 'stick-on' option on Amazon yesterday. Anybody have any experience with this? I am probably not a good candidate to do anything like this myself.
a few people on this site looked at them and bought them, I think I saw the consensus was garbage. Biggest issue being that the writing was inked on so it would wear off in time, and because it would not be illuminated at night.

·
Registered
381 Posts
don't buy

I bought one and now I'm stuck with it. I will not install it nor do I recommend installing it.

If anyone REALLY wants to have one, I have 1 for sale, cheap - but buy at your own risk!

·
Registered
508 Posts
It took me about an hour to install the button. The instructions on Eurocompulsion's site were a lifesaver. I honestly didn't think it was that difficult to do. It's just very important to NOT unplug the airbag. I chose to swap out the hex bolts for philips bolts that hold the steering wheel buttons when I reassembled because it was easier to reassemble. Access was a bit tight, but I was mentally prepared for it.
I'm a little confused. Actually i'm totally confused. How do you remove the airbag WITHOUT unplugging it? am i lost in terminology? Its completely removed in the pictures!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts