Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have it "on" in the infotainment system but don't recall ever seeing the blue high beam icon in the instrument cluster even when the road is pitch dark. How do I get AHB to work? Thanks.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I was under the impression that the headlight switch to the left of the steering wheel on the dash also had to be set to the auto mode. Not really sure if that is correct, that is what the dealer told me, but I am finding out they don’t really know too much about the Stelvio.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I don't think auto high beam is yet an option. I heard it is slated for late availability. The auto setting on mine functions only to automatically switch between daytime running lights and nighttime headlights. As for the setting in the infotainment system, I've tried it on 1,2 and 3 and saw no difference at all.

Reactions: zvezdah1

·
Read Only
849 Posts
Try to mantain the left lever for high beam more that 5 second in a completely dark street, the highbeam auto will appear

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Try to mantain the left lever for high beam more that 5 second in a completely dark street, the highbeam auto will appear
probably lost in translation here, do you mean pull the turn signal stalk towards you for 5 seconds?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have it "on" in the infotainment system but don't recall ever seeing the blue high beam icon in the instrument cluster even when the road is pitch dark. How do I get AHB to work? Thanks.
I have this feature enabled in my current car and for the first couple months just figured it would automatically switch to high beams when it was dark. What I failed to realize is that I still had to push the left multi-function stalk forward to turn the high beam function on. It then turns them on and off as needed.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
So the question is can you manually control them with auto feature enabled but toggled 'off' at the stalk? Pushing the stalk toggles in/out but when 'out' you have manual control. Agree? There has to be a video for that...

·
Registered
534 Posts
So the auto high beam feature has to be enabled in the entertainment system and the headlight switch has to be in Auto mode and then the multifunction stalk pushed forward turns it on. What if the headlight switch is not in auto? does the multifunction stalk then act like normal highbeams even though the auto highbeam is enabled in the menu?

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
My high beam indicator on the dash is different than that in the video, mine replaced the green icon with a blue one. Also I went to the garage and tried to push and hold the stalk forward and back for up to 30 seconds at a time, no auto function was apparent. My gut tells me this doesn't apply to the Stelvio :(

·
Registered
763 Posts
This is how I understand it: The automatic high/low beam headlamp control is part of the Driver Assist Dynamic Plus Package, that would show on your window sticker. In the owners manual page 68/69 it shows the icons for the function of the automatic headlights. On page 68 it shows a green icon with the auto feature. On page 69 it shows the icon in white with the auto feature. I believe the white icon w/auto is the auto high/low beam, if equip. I tested to see which icon I would see by having my headlights in auto on the dash display.

My dash showed the green icon with the auto function, when I pushed the turn signal stem towards the dash and released it, the icon changed to white with the auto function. When I repeated it, the icon turned back to green w/auto. When I did it one more time, the normal high beam indicator highlighted and the headlights turn to high beam. When I turned the ignition off and back on, it reverted to the green icon w/auto. So one would have to set the white auto high/low beam back to each time.

I live in an area that would keep the high beam auto function from working, just too light with the street lights. I believe that having the white icon w/auto will activate the auto high/low beam.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
This is how I understand it: The automatic high/low beam headlamp control is part of the Driver Assist Dynamic Plus Package.
****, no wonder why, that's the one and only option I don't have! (because I actively did NOT want the lane and brake assist "features"). :sad

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just tried it on mine. You push the stalk toward the windshield and hold it for a second. The headlight "Auto" icon will change from green to white.

The HBA seems "slow and lazy". I've seen it turning on only once. Is there anyway to make it more sensitive so it turns on more often? BTW, will it blind oncoming traffic or there's anti-dazzle built-in?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I just tried it on mine. You push the stalk toward the windshield and hold it for a second. The headlight "Auto" icon will change from green to white.

The HBA seems "slow and lazy". I've seen it turning on only once. Is there anyway to make it more sensitive so it turns on more often? BTW, will it blind oncoming traffic or there's anti-dazzle built-in?
I cannot look it up right at the moment, but if I remember correctly, there is a way to set the sensitivity. Go to settings on the infotainment center and check out under lighting, I believe it has three settings 1, 2 and 3.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I cannot look it up right at the moment, but if I remember correctly, there is a way to set the sensitivity. Go to settings on the infotainment center and check out under lighting, I believe it has three settings 1, 2 and 3.
Yes, from my experience 1 is the more "aggressive" (more HB "on") setting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
this is the one thing I'll probably be pretty said of losing when I change my current car for my Stelvio in about April.

I've got a 2015 Merc C break (= estate) and the LED-headlights.
Those are a marvel of technology and engineering.
In automatic mode (the handle pushed forward and stays there) they turn on and off all the time.
The genius part of it: it 'reads' other car-lights and will dim that part in the distance where a car is.
So basically that means the high beam is always on, and will light up when possible. If there's a car in front in the same lane, the car will be dimmed, but to the left and right of the car there's the high beam. Same when a car in the opposite lane comes in sight; it dims that car out, but stays in high beam on all the other part of the road.
Good example here:
Am I going to miss those...

My 2013 Lancia Delta also had Xenon + automatic high beam, but that thing was so lazy it didn't even bother working when in a closed garage...

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
In automatic mode (the handle pushed forward and stays there) they turn on and off all the time.
The genius part of it: it 'reads' other car-lights and will dim that part in the distance where a car is.
So basically that means the high beam is always on, and will light up when possible. If there's a car in front in the same lane, the car will be dimmed, but to the left and right of the car there's the high beam. Same when a car in the opposite lane comes in sight; it dims that car out, but stays in high beam on all the other part of the road.
here in the States, those are still illegal, so *no cars have them installed. If you have the dynamic driver assist package it does have automatic high beam on the Stelvio (the ONE option I didn't want/get, so I missed out on that :sad).

However on the plus side the Stelvio DOES have beam steering headlights to turn into the corners, and it works pretty well. So with the dynamic assist package the only thing you'd miss is the partial dimming beam shaping, it'll simply dim the entire headlight when another car is present.

*The new Porsche does technically have them, because Porsche didn't want to develop a 2nd headlight design for the states, they just disable that function in the computer so they operate as an all bright or all dim system, with the possibility that if the law changes they can later release a software update that enables them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
here in the States, those are still illegal, so *no cars have them installed.
why is it still illegal? it's more safe than an old school head light...
legislation?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts