Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stelvio has that option but I am not sure if it is working.

I drove a Maxima with emergency braking before. Man, you know it is there immediately. It will beep and flash like crazy when you brake hard close to someone and it did help me stop completely once from >80MPH on the interstate. The Stelvio instead never does anything, including one time I almost hit my garage wall. I am still trying to get used to the brake-by-wire system :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mine has activated a couple of times.
I was impressed with the system.

Got to be careful pulling around people who are turning right.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to know the system is working.

I wish there is a way I can test it without endangering anything.

Mine has activated a couple of times.
I was impressed with the system.

Got to be careful pulling around people who are turning right.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The way we are told to test it is to toss a blow up doll in front of the car while it’s moving, lol. I had one like yours before where the customer thought it wasn’t working, I called Tech support and the guy said “how much damage is on the car” I said “none”, he said “why are you calling if they didn’t hit anything?”, then he told me how they test it.
I believe you can set the sensitivity in the info center.

Reactions: Enigma

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Haha - who is going to admit they have a blow-up doll!? This could be interesting!

FWIW mine has triggered several times and once I could feel the pedal under my foot. Now I'm a pretty careful driver but am actually glad to have the extra set of eyes over my shoulder- easy to get distracted with phone tech or dropping something. Worth every dime.

Reactions: tom1356

·
Registered
228 Posts
Forward Collision warning system

Had my first experience with the Forward Collision Warning system the other day and was impressed. Was coming up on a car in front of me a little fast as I was going to move into the left lane to get by the laggard blockiing me in the left lane and the system engaged audibly and with mild braking just as I was lifting my foot off the gas to go to the brake. The second I touched the brake it disengaged and I was in control. Nice just in case system but think I will change sensitivity from Medium to Near.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Ha! When I picked mine up the Forward collision system was set to "far". Gave the warning chime at the first stop light I pulled up to. Figured out how to put it on "near" while stopped at the light...

On another note, if you haven't, should check out the EU crash test videos on youtube, the Stelvio's emergency braking works great!

...although I am temped to go try throwing something big and soft in front of the car...

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Who would ever know that a tragedy has been avoided but I appreciate the extra eyes and we consider it cheap insurance as Father Time advances and reactions/distractions due to tech evolve. It pays for itself in short order in insurance cost savings. The other thing is fast intervention to lessen potential severity of an unavoidable collision - those few milliseconds of advance reaction from the brake-by-wire system can lessen impact in ways we hope to never find out. Worth every penny.

Reactions: 4sallypat

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was very close to an accident the other day.

The traffic was terrible the other day. I was trying to switch to a neighboring lane that seems to flow faster. While I was in the middle of changing lane, the car in front of me in my current lane suddenly smashed its brake, I was able to swerve safely, but the warning system did absolutely nothing.

The emergency braking I experienced in the Maxima I rented on the other hand, is very solid. It almost always reminded me when I was close to a car in front of me. Best of all, when I need to press the brake hard, it did not let go at all, it helped me you push the brake even harder.

Who would ever know that a tragedy has been avoided but I appreciate the extra eyes and we consider it cheap insurance as Father Time advances and reactions/distractions due to tech evolve. It pays for itself in short order in insurance cost savings. The other thing is fast intervention to lessen potential severity of an unavoidable collision - those few milliseconds of advance reaction from the brake-by-wire system can lessen impact in ways we hope to never find out. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Settings?

What are your settings for the collision warning? Can you verify that "Brake" is on? Is it set to "far"?

I had an infiniti which was very proactive with collision warning, which I liked.

I was very close to an accident the other day.

The traffic was terrible the other day. I was trying to switch to a neighboring lane that seems to flow faster. While I was in the middle of changing lane, the car in front of me in my current lane suddenly smashed its brake, I was able to swerve safely, but the warning system did absolutely nothing.

The emergency braking I experienced in the Maxima I rented on the other hand, is very solid. It almost always reminded me when I was close to a car in front of me. Best of all, when I need to press the brake hard, it did not let go at all, it helped me you push the brake even harder.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My setting is already "both brake and warning" and sensitivity is set to "far".

What are your settings for the collision warning? Can you verify that "Brake" is on? Is it set to "far"?

I had an infiniti which was very proactive with collision warning, which I liked.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I came up to someone quickly at an intersection today, and the warning came on. I would say the sensitivity in "far" is about the same as my Infiniti with Pro Pilot Assist.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Forward Collision Warning System issue

Liv4spd, I agree your FCW system failed. The question is why, given your settings, which were on and in "far" mode. I don't know if you've looked at the online manual, https://www.alfaromeousa.com/conten...elvio/2018-Alfa_Romeo-Stelvio_Base-OM-2nd.pdf , but read System Failure Signaling at bottom of p105 and Radar Indication not Available p106. Bottom line is you need to have your dealer check it out because when it engaged for me on a medium setting, it was so seamless and controlled it didn't interfere with my braking/steering avoidance actions. It was just so impressive I couldn't believe it. Good luck!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I was driving normally through town yesterday, went through an intersection with lights and I heard the chime for when there’s something in front of you, but there was nothing. Then all of a sudden my car convulsed, my shoulder belt went “ka-chunk “ and I was left wondering what the flip just happened. It didn’t come to a complete stop, but very close to that (from about 35mph. Not sure what triggered it, but I do NOT like that, wow. Could there be something in the stop lights (like the sensors for ambulance, fire trucks, etc) that trigger the auto-braking? Really unnerving.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I was driving normally through town yesterday, went through an intersection with lights and I heard the chime for when there’s something in front of you, but there was nothing. Then all of a sudden my car convulsed, my shoulder belt went “ka-chunk “ and I was left wondering what the flip just happened. It didn’t come to a complete stop, but very close to that (from about 35mph. Not sure what triggered it, but I do NOT like that, wow. Could there be something in the stop lights (like the sensors for ambulance, fire trucks, etc) that trigger the auto-braking? Really unnerving.
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
164 Posts
@Scottlarson737

Well detailed write up - you might be onto something!

To establish a baseline, has anything quirky with the automatic braking happened to you before?

Try this - Can you drive through that same intersection, the same direction as before, in the same lane and replicate the problem?

You might have to even have to drive through it the same time of the day.

Let us know!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Fast_Dave,
I’ll give it a try. Gotta remember what time it was now 🤔. Anyways, the other variable may be that the sun is sitting much lower on the horizon . . . might have been a reflection? Who knows. I’ll give it a go and see what happens. Extremely unnerving. It makes me want to go get something pre-nannies.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts