Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
SQV here, MY18 with 05/18 build date, and 21k miles. Still have original battery. My wife drives A 95% of the time with some N. I'm more 75% A and the rest on D or R. We let Start/Stop do it's thing. It's mostly triggered in the spring and fall since the rest of the time AC or heat is blasted.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Seems like 1000A would be more than enough to start the car. They must rate that differently than a battery somehow. Topping off the battery with a tender would be easier than waiting for the battery to die, but the Stelvio doesn't make it convenient.

The compression ratio on turbo charged cars is lower to allow for boost without detonation. The 2.9 motor is listed as 9.3:1.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Seems like 1000A would be more than enough to start the car. They must rate that differently than a battery somehow. Topping off the battery with a tender would be easier than waiting for the battery to die, but the Stelvio doesn't make it convenient.

The compression ratio on turbo charged cars is lower to allow for boost without detonation. The 2.9 motor is listed as 9.3:1.
I tender through the charging posts on the passenger side of the engine compartment. No problems. Tendering by definition is somewhat inconvenient, but access to the battery is not.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I tender through the charging posts on the passenger side of the engine compartment. No problems. Tendering by definition is somewhat inconvenient, but access to the battery is not.
That's what I've used as well, but you have to use clamps and it's not possible to get those on the posts and then lower the hood. So you have to leave the hood up when it's on the tender and my car is outside under a carport. I'll eventually see if I can somehow get one my Noco connectors tied into the posts, but for now the hood has to be up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Never had any issues with my 2018 Stelvio QV’s battery…yet! If not driven for a few weeks, always plugged it into my CTek. A good 24 hour charge after taking delivery seems to solve a lot of Alfa battery issues.

Had previously bought a 2018 4C Spider and the day I went to buy it, it had a completely dead battery. Purchased a NOCO Boost and it took about a minute or two of being connected before it finally started on a freezing cold day. Took it home to charge it with the OEM 4C CTek overnight and never had a battery issue again over my 2 years of ownership.

Reactions: 407guy

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Never had any issues with my 2018 Stelvio QV’s battery…yet! If not driven for a few weeks, always plugged it into my CTek. A good 24 hour charge after taking delivery seems to solve a lot of Alfa battery issues.

Had previously bought a 2018 4C Spider and the day I went to buy it, it had a completely dead battery. Purchased a NOCO Boost and it took about a minute or two of being connected before it finally started on a freezing cold day. Took it home to charge it with the OEM 4C CTek overnight and never had a battery issue again over my 2 years of ownership.
Can you let us know what specific CTek product you are using? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
On a completely dead SQV, I had to use 2 GB40s that were fully charged. After jumping they were nearly drained. For some reason, my SQV turned on the cooling fan right of way which drained the GB40s quickly. I would recommend a 2,000 rated GB and ensure they're fully charged often. The weird thing is, after the battery (original MY18) was fully charged, I never had a problem. Plan on replacing it soon proactively.
This. I have a couple gb40 i got free with car purchases then an Audew i bought myself and the two gb40 wouldn't start my giuilia.

Go big on these cars.

As soon as they get just a little juice they kick on the radiator fan and youre dealing with a very small window to get it started at that point and need alot of power.

I may mark where that fan relay is and just pull it when it needs a jump.

·
Registered
417 Posts
This. I have a couple gb40 i got free with car purchases then an Audew i bought myself and the two gb40 wouldn't start my giuilia.

Go big on these cars.

As soon as they get just a little juice they kick on the radiator fan and youre dealing with a very small window to get it started at that point and need alot of power.

I may mark where that fan relay is and just pull it when it needs a jump.
Exactly my experience. That radiator fan drains it really damn quick. I ended up putting one of the connectors under the hood and the second is hardwired in the back. And you still have a small window before they both drain! It worked though. Small caution for folks, I had better luck forcing the charge on the GB on a completely dead battery, when you do that, you lose all the safety features of the GB. Be careful.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Exactly my experience. That radiator fan drains it really damn quick. I ended up putting one of the connectors under the hood and the second is hardwired in the back. And you still have a small window before they both drain! It worked though. Small caution for folks, I had better luck forcing the charge on the GB on a completely dead battery, when you do that, you lose all the safety features of the GB. Be careful.

The more i think about it the more it makes sense to pull the fan relay.

I remember i had a track car a few years back that i ran a stand alone on and i could power up the radiator fans anytime electronically from the cabin.

Id run them with the engine off to combat heat soak.

Well even with a fully charged H8 battery i killed the battery in about 15 minutes. This was no lithium race battery

I think those fans compete with the jumper pack and win.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
it's a bit strange that the fan(s) run at startup though ? I would expect them to be temperature controlled, and not run with cold engine.....
I believe they run because of low battery voltage. All kinds of crazy things happen with low battery voltage and unfortunately the fans sticking on is one.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts