Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Given the location of the battery in the rear compartment and discussion of low charge issues if the battery is discharged (due to long term storage, i.e. on the dealer's lot prior to delivery) I'm thinking of buying a charger. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OQ1F7PM/ref=pe_160230_284525760_em_1p_8_ti?pldnSite=1&th=1

The thing that is appealing about this design is plug access via 12 VDC accessory plug which would be very convenient during the cold months or if for some reason the battery was discharged.

Related question: The 12 VDC connector is switched with the engine... so this may not be an option. Anybody have a suggestion for a convenient way to hook it up (other than directly to the battery)?

What do you guys think? Good idea?

Reactions: Wombat

·
Registered
534 Posts
I use the NOCO Genius chargers in my garage. I have the eyelet leads permantly mounted to my battery terminals on my motorcyle and sports car batteries and then just clip the cable on when I need it.

Will you be storing your Stelvio without driving it for periods of time?
A 2 amp charger is fine for plugging in to maintain a battery over winter but if your battery was discharged it would take a very long time to bring it back to full charge.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I also use the same CTEK one as Marzio on my Spider as its garaged for prolonged periods.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I use a Xtreme charge Xc100-P by Pulsetech.

It has a 5 year warranty, comes with both a set of clamp cables for a temp install use or you can use the lug clamps to bolt to the terminals and you plug it in and your set.

Best one I have ever used.

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Reactions: Banffstelvio

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use the NOCO Genius chargers in my garage. I have the eyelet leads permantly mounted to my battery terminals on my motorcyle and sports car batteries and then just clip the cable on when I need it.

Will you be storing your Stelvio without driving it for periods of time?
A 2 amp charger is fine for plugging in to maintain a battery over winter but if your battery was discharged it would take a very long time to bring it back to full charge.

Calgary: Question is what setting to use on the booster? I am presuming 12 V Normal setting but just to confirm.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Calgary: Question is what setting to use on the booster? I am presuming 12 V Normal setting but just to confirm.
I use the 12v normal for my car and bikes in storage for winter.
I haven't actually used it on the Stelvio yet and the battery label is covered by a distibution panel but it looks like its a normal battery and not a AGM.

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! Wife's A4 is driven short trips just had it at the shop (coil packs + plugs) so I used it overnight, surprised at how low it was, maybe with hot climate lately so it's on my radar to keep Stella at full charge.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use the 12v normal for my car and bikes in storage for winter.
I haven't actually used it on the Stelvio yet and the battery label is covered by a distibution panel but it looks like its a normal battery and not a AGM.
I’m quite sure they are agm.

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to be clear- no issues with the Stelvio. I charged the A4 overnight. It just made me think about being proactive with our Stelvio's battery.

So the settings on my G1100 are Norm/12 V + Cold AGM. I would use 2nd setting for Stella and connect under the hood, correct?

And thanks again!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Battery Cahrge and Commections

Marzio, I don't understand your comment about "charge the battery only via the charging point into the hood, engine compartment" you mention. On page 221 of the online manual it mentions how to charge the battery,"Remove the protective cover and connect the positive cable terminal of the charger (usually red) to the positive terminal (+) of the battery. Connect the negative terminal of the charger (usually black) to nut next to the negative terminal (-) of the battery." Are you saying there's a place under the hood you can also connect to for charging the battery in the back of the car?

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Marzio, I don't understand your comment about "charge the battery only via the charging point into the hood, engine compartment" you mention. On page 221 of the online manual it mentions how to charge the battery,"Remove the protective cover and connect the positive cable terminal of the charger (usually red) to the positive terminal (+) of the battery. Connect the negative terminal of the charger (usually black) to nut next to the negative terminal (-) of the battery." Are you saying there's a place under the hood you can also connect to for charging the battery in the back of the car?
The dealer showed me (because I asked*) the red post under the hood and where to connect the black to ground (in the event of a jump start needed), so I did interpret Mario's Italian-lish to imply connecting there.

But you raise a good question + it would be good to know.

*Went out of his way at the first service to patiently discuss and explain any questions I had- very impressive aspect of the dealer experience.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Battery Charge and Commections

Thanks, I'll talk to my service tech next time I'm at the dealer about this additional engine compartment charging location. That's actually a thoughtful engineering apsect of the car to have two points where you can jump or charge the vehicle. I don't know how many times I've needed a jump and the car was facing the wrong way making it hard to:eek access the battery.

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great + thanks! The old jump box was done so I purchased a NOCO Genius GB40 Jump starter*- pretty impressive and compact device as well as the slow charger. Keeping any spark away from the battery and controlling the application of power is a big safety feature. If you've seen a battery explode you would agree + as the patriarch I am usually called at work, church, or by family when help is needed.

At this point in life I am not a big fan of jumper cables and new electronics are pretty foolproof.

Thanks to knowledge from here I want to be fastidious about maintaining charge levels.

*Very useful in case of power outage at home - USB in/out and lighting make it a useful device in case of weather.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Battery Charge and Commections

"Remote Battery Connection Posts" described on p205 in online manaul listed under Emergency/ Jump Starting in Index. Pictures in manual help you locate the posts.

·
Registered
534 Posts
@ALFATECH, is it a AGM battery then? I can't find documentation anywhere that tells me. Happen to have one in your parts dept that you could look at?

·
Registered
169 Posts
@ALFATECH, is it a AGM battery then? I can't find documentation anywhere that tells me. Happen to have one in your parts dept that you could look at?
I just did one in a Giulia today, original Johnson Controls/Varta battery had no indication on it, replacement Mopar battery said right on the side AGM. So yes, they are AGM batteries, they are sensitive to excessive voltage when charging or boosting, I believe the spec is 14v but I’m not positive.

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AGM it is, 2nd setting. Thank you very much @ALFATECH! I would like to buy you dinner or a beer next opportunity. Appreciate your input and support.

So anybody know what the difference is?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts