Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@Tom I noticed that with fully charged battery (> 12.6 before starting) my car seems much smoother at idle and does not sound like a diesel. Did you notice any difference? My friend also noticed a difference. I am back at 12.2 resting volts and car starts fine but definitely sounds different

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Alternator under load dealing with a discharged or failing battery could be the culprit.

Reactions: Hoosbeach

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I am actually thinking that the Ignition coils are not running at the optimum voltage.

Reactions: ViscontiVerde 164L*

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So I have my boat with two batteries stored outside and they have not had a charge on them since October. In Interstate 1000cca is still at 12.6 full charge. Now I do have a disconnect switch but it is holding a better charge for three months than my car does overnight. Btw the battery is 3.5 years old.

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
@Tom I noticed that with fully charged battery (> 12.6 before starting) my car seems much smoother at idle and does not sound like a diesel. Did you notice any difference? My friend also noticed a difference. I am back at 12.2 resting volts and car starts fine but definitely sounds different
I didn't notice any difference. But my switch from Varta to Interstate was preemptive, so it may be that the Varta battery was still good enough to not cause anything like you describe.

·
Read Only
849 Posts
The recharge strategy of stelvio q4 petrol is a big mistery, right now, 4 ibs change + 5 batteries.

welcome into this nightmare

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just changed to a AGM battery which was fully charged before going in and now overnight after a drive down to 12.3 volts. Still have the Varta charging out of the car looks like it will get a full charge. Definitely an issue with how the charging system works. IMHO.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Varta did charge completely. I am going to disconnect the maintainer and see how it does overnight. I did check the charging system at Autozone and they thought the car might have a bad voltage regulator. Still have 17k miles to get the car perfect before I am on my own for paying to get things fixed. Now with that said I am happy with my Stelvio and I am just more interested in getting the best out of the car. My other cars have 290k ,190k, 223k and 207k. I plan on keeping the Alfa for quite a while.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Go to the dealer and ask for latest flashes of every module. A lot of things are fixed with latest software versions. Battery recharge strategy is not such a mistery, but is far from standard. Battery is mainly charged on braking, so hard braking charges battery (some sort if eco thing i guess). I run Start&Stop off via module, so it defaults to off and I’ve seen quite a differences. Sometimes it is 65% SOC, sometimes 85%. It basically moves in this range. I’m at 50k km now and still on OEM battery.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Go to the dealer and ask for latest flashes of every module. A lot of things are fixed with latest software versions. Battery recharge strategy is not such a mistery, but is far from standard. Battery is mainly charged on braking, so hard braking charges battery (some sort if eco thing i guess). I run Start&Stop off via module, so it defaults to off and I’ve seen quite a differences. Sometimes it is 65% SOC, sometimes 85%. It basically moves in this range. I’m at 50k km now and still on OEM battery.
I had my battery quit on my Stelvio after a year of use and my Long Island Westbury dealer replaced it with a stock battery.

To give myself some additional peace of mind, I bought the Roav USB charger that keeps track of my battery's daily voltage and saves up to 90 days history via phone app.

I think that this will allow me to know the trend of my battery's performance and may warn me of an impending battery failure.

I've attached the two pics of the phone app for reference.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Quadrifoglio
103 Posts
Reviving this conversation because, following the idea of what @Hoosbeach did, does any one know if for 2020 the charging is different?

About a month ago I put a brand new, fully charged, AGM battery since the OEM died...I didn't want to deal with taking the car to the dealer since I also wanted to switch to AGM.

That battery died over the holidays, we were out of town for two full weeks (my car sits outdoors in the townhouse's parking lot), when I came back (Jan 2nd) I had to get the car jumped, plugged for about 30 minutes (to my wife's Honda Fit) before I could convince it to start...temperatures were in the -10C. I ran the car for about 30 minutes to different places, then put it in the garage on the 12V 2amp battery tender I have for about 18 hours. I know that's not going to charge it much...but it was enough for a Volvo V90 in the past.

A few days later the battery died again after not starting the car for about 36 hours and -13 to -16C temps (single digits in F). After that, I was able to run the car for ~100 miles constantly. I plugged in my OBDII dongle and monitor voltage using Torque. There are two possible voltages to read (at OBD and at Control module). OBD reads @14.3 and Control module 14.1. They'll decrease if I turn the headlamps and blast the a/c to 14.1 and 14.0 respectively...on another 60 mile drive the voltages read the same, they never decreased to 12.6, or even 13s. While the battery hasn't died again, this behavior is different to what was posted in the first message, does anyone think it is because the battery is still low? Did something change in the way the charging system operates for 2020 models?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts