Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Stelvio Ti Sport which has about 36K miles on it. It has been a problem free car up until two days ago. I went to the parking garage on my way home after work, stepped on the brake, and pushed the start button. Holy **** ! The engine did not start and every warning light lit up, blinked, the radio went on. It was like lighting up a Christmas tree. Or like in a possessed car! I got out of the car, locked it, and tried again with the same result except for some engine clicking in addition to everything else. This was suggested by a service advisor I called. Long story short....I got it towed to the nearest Alfa dealer. They said everything was fine but changed out the battery.. I think it had the OEM Varta. Anyone else have a similar experience? I will be moving on in the fall to another brand. car is fun to drive but never had a leased car (2.5 years) break down like this

·
Registered
2019 TI SPORT ROSSO, NERO,HK,SUNROOF
69 Posts
I think that's pretty common for today's type of batteries that are different (glass mat). They are different because they have to run the vehicle while start/stop technology is active. They sometimes don't give warning when they finally go. Also I have heard that allot of the 2018's had battery fail issues, it's not the vehicle. I had it happen in a 2015 Cherokee trailhawk, but wasn't as abrupt.
I have a 2018 Stelvio Ti Sport which has about 36K miles on it. It has been a problem free car up until two days ago. I went to the parking garage on my way home after work, stepped on the brake, and pushed the start button. Holy **** ! The engine did not start and every warning light lit up, blinked, the radio went on. It was like lighting up a Christmas tree. Or like in a possessed car! I got out of the car, locked it, and tried again with the same result except for some engine clicking in addition to everything else. This was suggested by a service advisor I called. Long story short....I got it towed to the nearest Alfa dealer. They said everything was fine but changed out the battery.. I think it had the OEM Varta. Anyone else have a similar experience? I will be moving on in the fall to another brand. car is fun to drive but never had a leased car (2.5 years) break down like this

·
Registered
2019 TI SPORT ROSSO, NERO,HK,SUNROOF
69 Posts
I think that's pretty common for today's type of batteries that are different (glass mat). They are different because they have to run the vehicle while start/stop technology is active. They sometimes don't give warning when they finally go. Also I have heard that allot of the 2018's had battery fail issues, it's not the vehicle. I had it happen in a 2015 Cherokee trailhawk, but wasn't as abrupt.
Need to stop blaming the whole vehicle for a simple battery failure!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yeah a bit of an over-reaction. If an early 2018 it could be like my car...2018 built 4/2017 so the battery is over 4 years old. Unawareness of this failure mode is hard to fathom as it is widely mentioned. Alfa should have used an AGM battery although the CCA is very strong. Maybe just some venting by owner as this is now common on the rolling computers we drive across many brands and models. Today’s cars are super reliable but the failure modes are kinda binary. Better call consumer reports. Better that he get a Merc and experience some serious repair situations. Wonder if the battery was replaced under warranty and tow paid for by Alfa?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Battery went dead on a 3 year old car that has never had a problem.

Toyota owner says "What a reliable car!"

Same guy buys an Alfa "What a piece of crap!!! I need a different car!!!!"

3 year old car. It needed a battery, that happens. It is a truly high performance vehicle designed and engineered by the top performance engineers in the Auto Industry.

If dash lights after 2.5 years because of a low battery are that hard to deal with.....get another car.

Guarenteed someone reading this thread looking for a used Stelvio will give that car a better home. Stay in the lookout..you'll see them pass you with a giant smile on thier face in a month or two.

·
Registered
1969 Alfa Spider 2016 Alfa 4c Spider 2020 Alfa Stelvio TI
19 Posts
I work for big dealership batteries for example on subaru need replacement almost always around 2 year mark so don't blame alfa . 4 years on battery its common to fail. Another example ford leave 2-3 years old after a week on the lot 50% need jump. I can go over other brands as well but its common to fail.

Reactions: Tmorr

·
Registered
174 Posts
I agree. After 3-4 years batteries go. True for as long as I have owned cars. I have a 2017 build with the original Varta. Still going strong, but will look at getting it changed before the next winter just to be safe. FYI - check all the other car forums, battery life is a common issue and concern for all brands and models. Nothing unique to the Stelvio.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Same thing happened to me last December with 13.5K miles. Went out one morning and ... nothing. Only drawback was that it took two weeks to get the car back, but the dealer fixed a few other minor issues that I wasn't even aware of. All of it was no charge. Even when I went for state inspection a few weeks later, all I paid was $40 for tire rotation; the inspection and oil change were complimentary. Overall I can't complain, but lease ends in January, so unsure if I'll get another - wife's turn to pick this time :(.

2019 Ti - Alfa Rosso

1 - 10 of 10 Posts