Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - 11k in on my 2018 Stelvio QV (bought new in 2019). No major problems so far - except for an issue with the battery draining, at unpredictable times. It's happened twice - first time was after a period of only intermittent driving about 6 months ago (wasn't using a trickle charger at the time) and Alfa said it was just low level draw over a long period of time, without enough charging. I know there are battery issues, so I accepted that at face value and bought a charger/trickle charger.

Flash forward to yesterday. In the morning, I got an electronic throttle control warning when I turned on the car, then restarted it and it was gone. I then drove the car 200 miles round trip, no issue, and parked it overnight. No trickle charger for several weeks, but the car was being driven and had just gone through a long drive. Then, this afternoon, my wife goes to drive and the car won't turn over, and the battery voltage is low.

So, two questions:

1) The random error this morning makes me think there's something that is intermittently draining the battery. Has anyone else experienced this?

2) Last time I asked the dealer if they'd put in a new battery, they said no - then I asked about a third party battery, and they said it could void my warranty on electrical problems down the line (which seems crazy to me). Has anyone else encountered this response? Dealer has been a bit stubborn to admit there's an issue here.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
they will not replace the battery if, when tested, is ok. go and try to explain to them that a lot of stuff is battery related! good luck. I tried with 3 dealers... they all said bring it here, if battery tests ok... we can replace it at YOUR expense.

·
459 Posts
I just bought an Interstate battery and changed it myself. My choice was to just spend the $200 cost to save a 3 hour round trip to the dealer and then try to argue with them about a new battery.

A new battery voids the warranty? Are you supposed to use the same battery forever? Do new tires void the warranty?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
A different brand battery will not void the warrenty unless you get the wrong kind. Make sure the cold cranking amps and other specifications meet the factory specs and it is illegal in the USA to void the warrenty.

Don't let service people get away with saying crap like that.

I call them a liar to thier face. You should too.

If they start to say anything..pull up the Magnusen-Moss act on your phone. US Federal law states unless the manufacturer will provide a battery for free...you can use any brand you want to replace the original one and they can't void the warrenty on the car.

That is the law. Personally..a service person even starts the sentance to say aftermarket parts void a warrenty..I cut them off. Don't let them finish..that person doesn't deserve the respect.

Interupt them and say plainly...."Think about how you want to finish that sentance sir. You are not speaking to a fool. Though what you are saying makes me worried that I am."

(Do be smart with how you do it..people get mad when you call them a fool. Be prepared....or more tactful. Regardless don't tolerate being manipulated and lied to by someone who answered a want-ad and likely has less automotive knowlege then you. I try to be nice as possible to service people, buy them burritos even..but not if they try that.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the response... unfortunately a bit too late as I had Alfa replace the battery, at my expense. Alfa customer care did help with it though. I will NOT make that mistake again!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
People make such a fuss about batteries and tires..... EASY to DIY.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just had my battery replaced by dealer at 13k 2018 Stelvio QV (bought new in 2019), eventually everyone has to have it replaced. No warning at all, been working fine since I bought it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just bought an Interstate battery and changed it myself. My choice was to just spend the $200 cost to save a 3 hour round trip to the dealer and then try to argue with them about a new battery.

A new battery voids the warranty? Are you supposed to use the same battery forever? Do new tires void the warranty?
Can you give me the part number? A new battery will not void the warranty. I will do the same

1 - 12 of 12 Posts