Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Okay, an update.
my little plug in voltage meter started to fluctuate from 12.6v to 14.2 V so I came to this conclusion. When your battery is fine, the voltage fluctuation will be there. This is going from 14.2V idling to 12.6 when you take off. If your bottom number is below 12, then it's time for replacement. If your numbers don't fluctuate, that means your battery is being charged. If the nubmer stays at 13.6 everyday, that means your battery is about to die cuz it can't hold charge. Get a new battery.

Any questions? LOL. simple, cheap little gadget like this can help keep you on the road

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, Q4, Tricolor White,
51 Posts
My 2019 Stelvio battery light keeps coming on after 3-4 days of not driving it, Perhaps because of the cold weather we have only been driving it short distances. I have to keep charging the battery on a regular basis. I am thinking about a H8 size battery. H8s are 2-5/8" longer. What are you guys doing to bolt/hold the battery in place? I do not see a threaded hole where I can move the clamp further out in the battery compartment.

Motor vehicle Audio equipment Electrical wiring Gas Cable

Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Machine Automotive exterior

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Wooo you have the spare tire... can I have it? LOL after you pull the battery off you will see the the hole for shorter battery. What's in your car is H8. Don't forget to loosen the two screw holding down the battery management panel. In your case you need to unbolt those 3 spare tire holder as well. Once again, to save you some time, let me know if you want to get rid of your spare :)

now that i look at it closely, you may actually have the H7 battery... hmmm that's odd. sorry for above if it is an H7

·
Registered
51 Posts
The length of my current battery is about 12-1/2". It is a 95AH battery. The new H8 AGM battery I want to purchase is 15" long. 2.5" longer than the one that is in the car. This is the reason I am asking. I can drill a hole and install a threaded insert to move the bracket further out. But hope there is another solution.

Regarding my spare, I intentionally purchased a car with this option and the performance option with LSD.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hmmm. Makes me wonder if I already have a H8. The specs on the Costco battery I want to buy says it is 13-15/16". Makes me wonder if at the base of the battery it that is the same dimension. Either way, the POS Alfa OEM battery is having problems

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Screenshot

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd go measure the H8 battery if possible. A lot of times those dimensions they list include the "feet" at the bottom to hold the battery and the height includes the posts. I was trying to match the height for a battery and kept wondering why nothing matched up. It was because the measurements included the posts.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
FYI,
I'm donating my H7 battery to Ukraine relief drive from work. Due to its weight, I thought they would decline but they said they would love to take it for the troops or for people in Ukraine. I only had one person biding on it and I hope that person would understand. As I always say, no good deed goes unpunished, so I'm just waiting......

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
My 2019 Stelvio battery light keeps coming on after 3-4 days of not driving it, Perhaps because of the cold weather we have only been driving it short distances. I have to keep charging the battery on a regular basis. I am thinking about a H8 size battery. H8s are 2-5/8" longer. What are you guys doing to bolt/hold the battery in place? I do not see a threaded hole where I can move the clamp further out in the battery compartment.

View attachment 25263
View attachment 25264
That battery in the photo is 95ah. Its an h8

·
Registered
51 Posts
I put in the Costco First Interstate H8 battery this morning. Took about 15 minutes to swap in the new battery. No problems with the switch. Complaints and comments:
1. As soon as I removed the ground cable via the quick disconnect, the car alarm kept going of, resetting, then going off again. (What a pain for the neighbors.)
2. When I started up the car, (as some what expected,) there were all sorts of disabled sub systems. I started and stopped the engine 6 times hoping they would go away. All still there. Decided to drive the car around the block. Returned home. shut off the engine, restarted the engine, and all the error messages were gone.
3. With much anger... The side view mirrors wont deploy. They wont move to the out/drive position.

On a side note: My wife, who drives the car 90% of the time is already becoming frustrated with all the idiot lights that have come on over the past month. (Probably due to the weak battery.) She says "Sell the car" What would I do if you weren't around to troubleshoot things. She really doesn't like all the gadgets, gizmos and modern tech they put in modern cars. She says, we never had little stupid problems with our older cars.

Any thought on why the mirrors wont move out, let me know.
(15 minutes to swap a battery, probably hours ahead of me to figure out why they wont deploy.)

Edit. After writing this post, with the car sitting, I remote started the car and the mirrors moved out. I guess the car's personality was playing games with me and had to irritate me for a while before the car decided it was time to deploy the mirrors.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
how can alarm go off when you have disconnected the battery? little confused but your alarm could be backed up by a 9volt battery....Also, did you do the steerig to the left, right center then off before driving it? If not, I would disconnect the negative again then start the whole process to see if that will reset. wait about 10-15 mins before you attach the quick disconnect. Hope that will work

·
Registered
51 Posts
No, I didn't turn the steering to the left, right center then off before driving it. All appears to be fine. What is the risk of not doing this?

·
Registered
847 Posts
No, I didn't turn the steering to the left, right center then off before driving it. All appears to be fine. What is the risk of not doing this?
It's the official way to reset all the errors after a battery change, as mentioned in the manual ;)
Also recalibrates the (electric assisted) steering .....

·
Registered
35 Posts
The length of my current battery is about 12-1/2". It is a 95AH battery. The new H8 AGM battery I want to purchase is 15" long. 2.5" longer than the one that is in the car. This is the reason I am asking. I can drill a hole and install a threaded insert to move the bracket further out. But hope there is another solution.

Regarding my spare, I intentionally purchased a car with this option and the performance option with LSD.
Realize this is an old post; however, I found this reference when looking at battery options. If the battery is 15" long, it is a BCI Group 49 dimension.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts