Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove the car on Wednesday night, and it ran fine. Next morning, it wouldn't start and I got the thing recycling through every possible error. No warning of battery problems from the very elaborate warning systems. Tried recharging. nothing. Tried jump starting from the underhood terminals. nothing. Can't open the hatch. electric only. Can't shift out of park, apparently there's no provision for that. I have two questions; in such an exceptional, expensive vehicle why did they install such a poor battery? Why doesn't the electrical system warn me when the battery is going bad?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Are you sure you are doing it right? Why wouldn't you be able to jump start it from the under the hood terminals even if your battery is completely dead? I actually use those terminals to connect the trickle charger with no problems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure you are doing it right? Why wouldn't you be able to jump start it from the under the hood terminals even if your battery is completely dead? I actually use those terminals to connect the trickle charger with no problems.
Didn't work. Tried jumping from my Shelby GT500's huge battery that didn't work Alfa tech suggested using both - battery charget /jump starter on the front terminals and the Shelby battery on the back. That did get the car to start, but a day later it wouldn't work. The tow truck guy had a super heavy duty jump starter that enlivened the car enough to get it out of the garage and aligned with the tow truck. This is the first trouble I've had in almost 2 years of ownership and 25k miles. Discouraging.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry about your troubles. These (and other) cars fare much better when you keep them often on the trickle charger. I had my other alfa ( 4C) for 3 years long that way and never had an issue with the battery. Keeping my Stelvio on charger as well when not in use. Hope a new battery and reset is all you need.

·
Registered
19 Quadrifoglio Trofeo White,black with green/white,Dynamic pack, Pano roof,Carbon wheel, Dark wheel
25 Posts
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you just go buy an AGM battery. The reason the battery sucks is because it isn't AGM. They're $150.00 at advance auto with the 25% off coupon. The dealer is going to put the same non AGM battery in and you'll end up with the same issues down the road.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice to know that you can crawl past the rear seats and access a panel in the hatch. There is a metal wire loop in there that will allow you to open the hatch to access the battery compartment.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well last week, after performing the night before, the battery went totally flat. The best part is that they refuse to replace the battery under warranty. They say the battery is fine. It isn't. Next week I'm going to test drive the BMW X3M Competition. BMW is more reliable, and as I plan some long trips it's scary to have a battery failure perhaps a thousand miles from the nearest dealer. Fun while it lasted. I ws looking forward to buying the next generation too.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well last week, after performing the night before, the battery went totally flat. The best part is that they refuse to replace the battery under warranty. They say the battery is fine. It isn't. Next week I'm going to test drive the BMW X3M Competition. BMW is more reliable, and as I plan some long trips it's scary to have a battery failure perhaps a thousand miles from the nearest dealer. Fun while it lasted. I ws looking forward to buying the next generation too.
I think BMW has at least as many problems with battery/IBS, if you look on the BMW fora ;)
Why not just buy an AGM battery yourself, it's not a huge expense and not worth the hassle.......

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Type "parasitic BMW X3 battery drain" into google, then tell everyone about how BMW doesnt have this problem.

Sorry, but everyone does. You can leave off the BMW X3 part and see that. Other post on this forum talks about the lawsuit Subaru is facing.....for this exact problem.

Matter of fact, it is so common that Optima batteries has put out a blog post talking about it.

What is more worrisome is Alfacare suggesting you hookup to both the front and rear terminals at the same time...then refusing to replace the battery under warrenty.

You are the only person to claim either of those things..both are horrible.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Why not just buy an AGM battery yourself, it's not a huge expense and not worth the hassle.......
That's what I did. Bought the Interstate battery and installed it myself. Hadn't had a bit of battery trouble before, and haven't had any trouble since. Just peace of mind insurance for a low cost in dollars and a bit of time spent installing the new battery.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Think I might do the same...LOVE this car...And use it DAILY. I really don't want anything as simple as a battery to ruin my otherwise awesome experience!!

·
Registered
19 Quadrifoglio Trofeo White,black with green/white,Dynamic pack, Pano roof,Carbon wheel, Dark wheel
25 Posts
Man I've had so many other issues with other cars that a battery is pretty low on my list of reasons why I'd want to get rid of it. To each his own though. The BMW has a beautiful interior.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Man I've had so many other issues with other cars that a battery is pretty low on my list of reasons why I'd want to get rid of it. To each his own though. The BMW has a beautiful interior.
The BMW can never match the driving experience nor most SUV's, far and few can with a much greater cost.

·
Registered
441 Posts
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Registered
25 Posts
The BMW can never match the driving experience nor most SUV's, far and few can with a much greater cost.
I get it. I've owned 2. The guy seems pretty set on bailing so I was giving him the plus of going with the BMW 😁

·
Registered
30 Posts
I get it. I've owned 2. The guy seems pretty set on bailing so I was giving him the plus of going with the BMW 😁
Invest in a CTECK MXS 5.0 Battery Charger 40-206 less than $100, it will maintain your battery for longer life. All vehicles today are susceptible to battery problems with the advanced technology drawing more than usual juice, years ago this wasn't a big problem.Stop/Start is also a big contributor, given the aforementioned it is wise to invest in a battery charger.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
It truly is.

Notice that Optima battery blog discussing the problem states they think cars should come with trickle chargers as standard equipment now.....

With that said..I've never had a problem. Course, I'm crazy enough to keep my key in a metal can to kill the signal so the car doesnt stay in standby mode when parked at home...which drains the battery...on all cars with touch sensors so the car can unlock itself instead of making you press a button on the remote like some savage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What irritates me is that after the first problem, the check engine light after being parked a few days, they didn't replace the battery. I've been without the car for 12 days now, they say their battery machine says the battery's OK but I don't believe it. I've had 3 BMW models with one replacement battery - after 60,000 miles. The dealer says Alfa Romeo is the problem. I have no trust in Fiat/Chrysler, because I have a Fiat Abarth (my second one) and service was lousy on that car - "We only have one Fiat tech, and he's not here this week. I found a shop which will service the Abarth, so I'm keeping the Abarth -ffor a while anyway. Part of my thinking is that if I make to next summer, when we'll hopefully a coronavirus vaccine, I want to make a really long road trip. I already drove the Alfa to California and back last summer with no problems, but I've lost confidence in the car - and if it acts up on a long trip there may be no Alfa dealer for 1,000 miles. I traded a BMW X3 M40i for the Stelvio so I know what I'm getting with a X3M competition. Heavier, a bit slower, but better equipped and hopefully reliable. I love the way the Afla drives, and I know I'd be giving up some of the fun factor, but there are dealerships all over, and it comes with much better equipment - a 360 degree overhead camera and heads up display for example, and the M does have a form of paddle shifters. . I am seriously irritated. I may have to keep the Stelvio for a while because there's slim pickings on 2020 BMWs and the factory in South Carolina is closed.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Why not simply get them (or even someone else/yourself) to put an AGM battery in at your own cost (parts price), as there's a big chance that might solve your problems.... Certainly won't do any harm ;)
I know you shouldn't need to pay, but it's not a huge expense and not worth the hassle I would think.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts