Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well...we finally got the Stelvio out for a real road trip with a 900 mile adventure for our anniversary...just the two of us. Overall driving experience is an "A". I must qualify by saying my ideal benchmark for road trips is very high given some of the vehicles I have owned.

Comfort

I am a big guy; almost 6 ft and beefy frame. I found the Ti Sport seats to be very comfortable at a level of stopping about 150 miles/ two hours for a Coke and/or the tinkle hut. This surprised me as I expected the seats to be uncomfortable much sooner given a lifetime of roadtrip vehicles to compare with. Outside temperature was in the mid 70's (F), so the sunroof max open with a rear window open half way to relive the cabin air pressure...was just right.

Performance

This is wifey's car so I don't drive it much. I was pleasantly surprised at the performance of the turbo 2.0 on the open road. In the western USA, major cities are a nearly day's drive apart (distance from Vienna to Zurich is within the borders of my state), so our posted interstate speed limits are 80 mph (130 kph), and I was impressed with the both the ride and power available for passing at already high speed. We got into about 60 miles of high desert snowstorm; about 1/2 inch of snow on the road, major wind; the car and its stock Conti tires at 35,000 miles did great - very stable.

City Manners

I was impressed how nice the transition from 80 mph to city traffic was. Some cars I have owned are a pain in unfamiliar towns as you have pay attention to scraping the front end on driveways to restaurants and stores, and navigating unfamiliar area and parking lots. We spent some time in an older city with small tourist shops (wifey loves to hang out at), with narrow streets and parking at a premium - I found all types of parking to be easy in the Stelvio.

All in all a very good experience!

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Ti
490 Posts
Happy you enjoyed it. I could not get comfortable with the sport seats as I have a "wide stance" when driving. But the Lusso seats are great for me.
It is a wonderful vehicle!
Cheers to more Alfas coming stateside.
John

·
Registered
33 Posts
What have been your favorite road trip cars?
My favorite was also one of the Alfas I never really warmed to... We had a 164L onto which I installed Bilstein struts and shorter stiffer Euro spec springs and went to Fred DeMatteo's alignment specs. It was a SPECTACULAR highway and secondary road car. My wife once covered 210 miles in two hours flat.
We got rid of it because I hated working on it. Way too tight under the hood.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
We live at the base of a 7,000 ft Mountain, so mountain passes basically whichever direction you go. We do 8 to 10, 1,000+ Mile trips per year, for about the last 30 years.

All-time roadtrip greats were:

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 3.4L V6 with the high-end leather seat option (synthetic leather), electronically activated 4WD, big sunroof, and large enough for 2 adults, two dogs, and stuff. Fully capable of confidently crossing the Blue Mountains and Snoqualmie Pass anytime of year, in the dark, rain or snow; probably the best glass headlights of any vehicle ever. Drove it 200,000 miles, nothing but routine maintenance. Never had a more reliable vehicle except another Toyota. Side note: we found the Michelin LTX to be the absolute best tire for this rig.

Before the Stelvio we had a fully loaded 2003 BMW E46 325xi. Very well mannered full time AWD. Our first car with real heated leather seats; just a great driver with a killer sunroof. Great in the sun, snow, and rain. Only car I have owned that you could fill up with gas, and comfortably drive on a roadtrip without stopping (younger days) until you needed gas again. At close to 10 years it would just break down and strand you; everything rubber (CV joint boots, engine gaskets) eventually had to be replaced, and lots of cooling system problems - radiator tank just up and busted at about 70,000 miles in the middle of nowhere. When those get to 60,000 miles, you replace the entire cooling system with factory OEM or suffer accordingly...probably never again, but really enjoyed it for the first 60K. I was convinced owning the even rarer 330xi (+40 hp) would be the ultimate E46, but I got to ride in a similar vintage 540i on a road trip; I could see that topping the E46 experience.

For solo trips: Convertible C6 Corvette with a clutch...summer time only

The full-size GMC/Chevrolet SUV's and pickups are also really nice on long drives- thirsty, and best used when towing or hauling.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Agree on the 164, a great long distance car and engine seems more powerful than it really is. Looks awesome. Needs an attentive owner and a good mechanic/owner who understands the car.

Chevy Suburbam/GMC Denali is awesome. Even fully loaded it drives like it is empty and pulling a trailer is so stable. Recently drove one 800 miles and it gets remarkably good highway mileage unloaded.

Stelvio is excellent. 2018 Ti with std seats. I just did 1600 miles in 22 hours. Fast, decent mpg, handles great at high speeds but base suspension is not punishing, good range if you fill the tank all the way (it takes a lot more after the auto pump shut-off if you are patient), adaptive cruise control is great, headlights are great, seats do not make my butt hurt even after long stints. It’s not tiring to drive a long way. Big enough to not have to be careful packing. This was an unplanned trip I left at 9:45 at night on 15 mins notice. Rocks for road trips. An EV would have taken much longer as the battery would get smoked at the speeds I was driving.

Reactions: ventogt

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Quadrifoglio
61 Posts
Do you drive the speed limit? I usually drive 8 above speed limit, so when I'm in an 80 MPH, I'm usually driving 88-90 MPH. How's the cabin noise at those constant speeds...if you drove?

I've yet to do a road trip in the QV but I am so looking forward to it. Just this year, I've driven to Utah (4,500 miles round trip), Texas (5,000 miles) and NY (2,800 miles) from Chicago in the Volvo V90 I had before this one...so, yes, I like road trips!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Nice list of favorites!!!

I gotta say, Stelvio, Audi A6/B5 generation VW Passat, Porsche Boxster. Large, medium and small....

The Suburban is totally a great long distance monster, there's a reason they sell so many. It period works for anything (besides getting good gas mileage, and not upsetting greenies)

The 164 is probably my greatest unexperienced love. Always wanted one, never had one. Super jealous. Have driven one, once..it was pretty sweet, one of those cars you remember.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Do you drive the speed limit? I usually drive 8 above speed limit, so when I'm in an 80 MPH, I'm usually driving 88-90 MPH. How's the cabin noise at those constant speeds...if you drove?

I've yet to do a road trip in the QV but I am so looking forward to it. Just this year, I've driven to Utah (4,500 miles round trip), Texas (5,000 miles) and NY (2,800 miles) from Chicago in the Volvo V90 I had before this one...so, yes, I like road trips!
uh, no. The outbound I drove the entire way solo, the return almost all except 2 hours with passenger. Time included 90 minute stop for sleep in a Red Roof Inn parking lot, gas stops, a couple of drive thru food stops and a good stretch of slow and go in Virginia just short of DC. Average speed while driving was…rapid and max speed was…super rapid. Had to pick up a daughter ASAP who was in some difficulty.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got out of a epic speeding ticket once telling the officer (the truth) my gf had JUST came back from basic training and AIT for the US Army. He just laughed and walked back to his prowler and drove away. I was stunned.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I got caught doing 80 something in a 35 once (total speed trap road. Rural divided highway, 10ft lanes, banked turns..no speed limit sign till the bottom which says 35mph, which is where the highway patrol car was parked. Oh and downhill.....it was like a paved nirvana in the middle of Prescott...).

In a Fiat 500. The cop walked up to my window after I pulled over said he saw me and all he could think was "The Italians are coming, the Italians are coming!!"...he laughed ..walked back to his car and drove away. Really happened. Never felt so lucky..or been so offended by a speed limit. Seriously that road should have been 75.

·
Registered
'18 Stelvio Sport Vesuvio '87 Milano 3.2 24V race car
13 Posts
we’re going on a road trip to LA from SF in my wife’s Stelvio, very excited because it combines sportiness and comfort.

I’ve been on road trips with 164s, the 164L with it’s tall gearing and comfortable seats is just fantastic. the engine is also responsive and handling wasn’t too bad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts