Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well I just bought in Amazon a BAFX wi-fi OBDII reader that somebody reccomended here in the forum. For the phone there are a lot of apps and was considering between OBD Fusion (paid) and Car scanner (free)…..went with OBD Fusion.
It will be interesting if I ever get the misfire again to have it connected at that time and see what it records real time (probably the same code) well you never know.
Thinking about the last month….I actually was experimenting driving a in the “A” mode since the gas is expensive to see if there was a difference….maybe if there is one its very small…..maybe this contributed to the problem….end of “A” mode…!!!!

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Quadrifoglio
322 Posts
@Kannassee let us know how it goes. The adapter needs to be unplugged when not in use as it might drain your battery. But at least you will be able to read the code(s) and clear the light.

Go ahead and try the "A" mode, not sure it will solve anything but it sure saves gas. Yes, it is an anemic mode as the car only develops ~360 HP or so, but you don't need 505 HP at tap all the time. I never use "D" to just cruise down the freeway for any amount of time. I drive my daughter to a stable every weekend, 98-105 mile round trip (depending on teh route with less traffic), "A" does give you better efficiency, just today I averaged 29.9 MPG using that mode (I actually averaged 31.8 MPG on the first leg). I just don't see the point of wasting gas when I'm driving at a constant speed for 45 miles at the time, or while just coasting with traffic at 15-20 MPH (and believe me, I can afford the extra gas)...different story if I'm hauling a$$ and being a lunatic 😁

I believe the engineers (Ferrari or Alfa) spent precious resources and time developing the "A" mode and cylinder deactivation for a valid reason, should it ever cause any damage (as people out there truly believe), I have extended warranty to take care of that...if it ever was to happen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am really frustrated with this Quadrifoglio.

I bough it new in August 2018. When the car is not started everyday when I start the car again in a week usually the start is rough, the engine misfires, the CEL engine light turns on, the message "service electronic throttle" appears. and the DNA gets disconnected. Still under factory warranty.

There is nothing I can do to avoid getting that....I have tried everything.....trickle charger, push the buttom first and wait before starting, accelerating right away etc etc. The frustrating thing is that the DNA gets disconnected, and I have to go to the service department.

The only thing that would work is to start the car everyday or every couple of days. But sometimes I am not around to do that.

The car is now 33k and it has been doing that since it was 4k miles and 3 months old.

Every time the dealer had told me that these cars "like to be driven daily".!!!!...:)....that those were just some old misfires codes...that they erased the codes and that the car is now running perfectly and that they can NOT do ANYTHING. That is NOT normal.

Of course if I start the car daily that would not happen. But that is not written in the manual.

And I doubt that I would have bough the car if I would have known that.
And it seems that some other owners do not have that problem happening.

This last time I took it to the dealer and told them that I really NEED to get this problem fixed.
I even send them a couple of videos showing what happens when I start the car.

They have the SAME answer.....they can NOT do anything....everything works fine with the car....those were old misfires codes that they erased....just come and pick it up.
It is still sitting there, I really don't want to pick it up until they fix this freaking issue.

I am just fed up.

Its incredible that Alfa has not issued a recall or something like that….at least giving instructions to the service departments on how to solve the issue.???

I have read everything here, serpentine belt stretched, multiair MAF module bad, bad injectors or spark plugs, carbon build up, bad fuel pump, bad design, bad battery etc etc etc.

I HATE to admit that all the guys that told me that I was kinda crazy getting an Alfa were right.....
I took it to another dealer and they had the same explanation....these cars like to be driven daily.....

Now I don't know what to do know apart from taking it to CARMAX and getting rid of it.

I really like the car and I would like to avoid getting rid of it.
I am sure there is a fix to this issue.

Maybe I can write a letter to someone in Alfa Romeo USA?....I need to escalate this issue.

Any ideas or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Get a 40 code reader from the auto parts store and erase the error codes. I had to do it on my 2022 Quad because of the throttle error. Took about 2 minutes - just pugs in under the drivers dash. No dealer required.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
"For a valid reason"
Corporate average fuel economy, or a euro equivalent. As useless as aptly named ass in the real world. N goes to a higher gear already so you have low rpm and no boost/low compression anyway.

·
Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
504 Posts
When one is cruising it becomes a 1.5 litre. (or can be if A is suffered)
WHich makes me want to ask this question...
What would it be like if it tried to start in 3 pot mode? Could a failure like this be possible on one cylinder?

Your earlier thoughts haven't been ruled out
"
Or maybe something is being powered by oil and that thing drains and can not work as intended after so many days?
Or maybe a sensor finds something wrong and causes a misfire? "

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Quad
55 Posts
Did you try the turn it on, off and then back on thing? I drive my QV every other week and it will do it 100% of time if I don't do this trick but with it, its like maybe 1 out of 10 times and even when it does it, just turn it off and turn it back on before you get the lights. Restarting the car has worked 100% of the time for me.

P.s. I stopped using my trickle charger too, it seems to do it more when I use it but I have a new-ish AGM battery.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Wow..elegantly simple solution. I see no problem with this (in this case with this engine) and am embarrassed I didn't think of it and that I completely forgot about that thread.

Great idea man! @hipendicular should get the award for best comment of the day. If that doesn't work, ie:the light/misfire comes back don't keep doing it, but..if it works.....

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio | Alfa Romeo 4C
45 Posts
I have mine (2018) at 50K (kilometers) and drive a lot in the A-mode. I don't have the misfires and stuff. But, I do have the Autobahn to sometimes blast it really, really hard. Don't know if it cleans the enige, but it runs really smooth.
I drive all my cars in the combination from really, really hard, to really easy and comfortable. They never give me problems. I think that the driving combination is really good for the car.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Quadrifoglio
322 Posts
Wait..you got 30mpg in a Quad???!!!!!

That's the type of information makes me start thinking things.....wow.
Yes...per the trip computer (probably a little on the optimistic side though). Speaker message is because of the subwoofer (need another 3 ohm cheater) and tire pressure is because I've been running the winter tires at 33 PSI (and been to lazy to air them up).
Speedometer Vehicle Car Odometer Tachometer

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Did you try the turn it on, off and then back on thing? I drive my QV every other week and it will do it 100% of time if I don't do this trick but with it, its like maybe 1 out of 10 times and even when it does it, just turn it off and turn it back on before you get the lights. Restarting the car has worked 100% of the time for me.

P.s. I stopped using my trickle charger too, it seems to do it more when I use it but I have a new-ish AGM battery.
.....thanks for sharing....its interesting how my brain works.....I don't mind it happening so much if I am not the only one with the issue!!!!......and if I can erase the "limp" mode thing,....I dont care at all....LOL......I am missing the car but I am going to leave it at the dealer for a couple of more days.....I really want to try the differents ideas that I got here.....the Techron cleaner additive....the starting tricks.....the OBDII reader.....

another crazy idea but I WON'T try this one.....if it has to do with the oil (thickness), maybe a different grade would make the difference??.....hmmm....nope, I am not trying that one ....lol....

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
This thread may help at least see similar issues. Consider posting there to get help and document yiur issues too.

Oddly its probably not carbon buildup. Happens on new engines too.

Interestingly i have a brand new 2.0l engine (literally brand new) and its cold misfire stumbling way more than my old engine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Kannssee: So sorry for all the problems you have had. Except for a fuel pump issue, my 2018 QV has been very good. You have a few months left on the warranty; have you thought of going elsewhere to a different dealer? I see you are in Florida at least part time. Frank, my mechanic at St Petersburg has been great. Maybe call St Pete Alfa, talk to Mike Fallin and see if he has any ideas of how he could fix it permanently. Just an idea.

By the way, I drive in A, N and D depending on the circumstances. I also do not drive it every day by any means. That's what the 4C is for!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hi Crimbo thanks!!!

I am gonna give them a call tomorrow, thanks for the tip!!!..... ,no other problems with car, it runs perfectly apart from that issue.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
This thread may help at least see similar issues. Consider posting there to get help and document yiur issues too.

Oddly its probably not carbon buildup. Happens on new engines too.

Interestingly i have a brand new 2.0l engine (literally brand new) and its cold misfire stumbling way more than my old engine.

Wow....that's a REALLY interesting thread!!!....I am going to read it thoroughly, lots of posts....

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Quad
55 Posts
Just to add insult in injury, I jumped in my QV today and got the check engine light with the service throttle warming. I did not (As in DID NOT) do the turn it on/off and then start it as I drove the QV yesterday. It wasn't even shaking or anything. The only thing I can think of was that it pretty hot yesterday and maybe it is a fuel problem. Like as in the fuel evaporated or something. So strange, the first time that has ever happened with out it sitting for a week or more.

Lastly, I did just turn it off (with both warning/CEL on) and it restarted like as if nothing happened. Drove normal and I even did some more JB4 map 6 runs.

I guess for cold starts I'll just do the on/off and then start thing.. Until someone finds out what is causing this and gets a fix..

P.s. I'm also in the not as bothered camp if more people are having this issue with no dead or damaged engines.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts