Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys:

This was touched on briefly here but can someone please confirm that it is normal that there is no audible signal if the turn signal lever is activated, when a car is in the blind spot?? I do get the flashing amber light, but no audible sound.

This is the first car I have owned that doesn't give the audible signal, as well as the flashing light.

Thanks.

Roger

·
Registered
228 Posts
Blind Spot Monitor

There is no BSM audible alert sound for lane changing to detect vehicles in your blind spot, just the visible warning light in the mirror (page 102 in the online owners manual of your Stelvio, https://www.alfaromeousa.com/content/dam/alfausa/uploads/owner-manuals/stelvio/2018-Alfa_Romeo-Stelvio_Base-OM-2nd.pdf ). I also prefer the audible sound over the warning light in the mirror (have it on my Mazda 6) but it's just something I'll have to get used to. Hopefully they will add the audible sound in the future, which I think is more effective (faster for alerting the driver than having to look in the mirror). However, they put in an audible alert (fog hornish sound) for lane drifting/changing which I don't find that helpful but others on the forum do if they fall asleep at the wheel. On the positive side, I do find the Forward Collision and Rear Cross Path audible alerts very helpful.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd really like that as well. The visible indicator is pretty small, and hard to see when the sun is shining on the mirror. I like the placement and size of the indicator on my wife's Audi A4 - it's on the arm of the mirror, facing the driver, and much larger than the little triangle icon.

An audible alert would be great.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Thank god its not audible!! Think of it as added information as you scan your mirrors. Reason many folks shut it off is after a while with it annoyingly chirping away when every car passes by , you learn to ignore it! Rear alert should be audible as their is no potential for a visual.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The visible triangle on the mirror is pretty small and hard to see when the sun is behind you.

I agree it would be hugely annoying if it chirped with every detection during normal driving, but I think it would work nicely if the audible warning sounded when something was detected ONLY while your turn signal was activated. And if the audible warning was able to be activated or deactivated on the menu, then we could each choose what works best for us.

Just my thinking ...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Blind Spot Monitor - No Audible Sound

ViscontiVerde164L, the BSM on my 2014 Mazda 6 for changing lanes only engages when I put the turn signal on to change landes so the issue you mention is avoided. However, the issue you mention is why I turn off the lane departure monitoring system because it goes off too much and has an obnoxious fog horn sound.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The visible triangle on the mirror is pretty small and hard to see when the sun is behind you.

I agree it would be hugely annoying if it chirped with every detection during normal driving, but I think it would work nicely if the audible warning sounded when something was detected ONLY while your turn signal was activated. And if the audible warning was able to be activated or deactivated on the menu, then we could each choose what works best for us.

Just my thinking ...
This is how all my previous vehicles were. It only had the audible alert if someone was in the blind spot AND you used your turn signal to change lanes. Never got annoying and definitely helped me out a few times.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ok so my Stelvio that has infotainment v72... Operates the same way with a minor update. If a car is in your blind spot and THEN you activate the turn signal, THEN there you get a visible and audible warning. My Giulia that's on v56 doesn't operate the same, only get a visible warning.

IMO, the audible warning only when you attempt to lane change is great. It's not audible EVERY time there's a car in your blind spot, only when you attempt to make a lane change.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Interesting the different opinions. For me, almost did not buy the car because of the lack of audible warning (only when turn signal on). The light is hard to see and takes eye off what you should be concentration on. The audible warning saved my butt several times on my Grand Cherokee and it is by far the most important safety feature for me. i.e. I can see in front of me so I have never had a need for front collision alert, adaptive cruise, etc but I can't see backwards especially with the poor Stelvio rear visability.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Interesting the different opinions. For me, almost did not buy the car because of the lack of audible warning (only when turn signal on). The light is hard to see and takes eye off what you should be concentration on. The audible warning saved my butt several times on my Grand Cherokee and it is by far the most important safety feature for me. i.e. I can see in front of me so I have never had a need for front collision alert, adaptive cruise, etc but I can't see backwards especially with the poor Stelvio rear visability.
I can confirm my 2018 Stelvio with build date of 05/2018 does have it. My Giulia with a build date of 07/2017 does not have it. I'm not sure if it was ever there on Giulia or it got funked at some point. There was a thread on the Giulia side regarding this. Specifically people noticed that when you changed audible warning to "visible" only and then back to audible, it did so for everything but cross-path and turn signals with blind spots.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I spoke with the service manager and he said he never heard of, or saw an audible alert option. Can you please share where the update was performed so I can all the service department to get more information. Thanks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I still hate the Blind spot monitor in this vehicle.On my Audi Q5 it was inside on the pillar (not on the mirror) and was so bright you could see it through the corner of your eye without having to look over.Never notice it in this car until it's too late and you get honked at.You did not even have to look over to your mirror to know it was not safe to change lanes in my Audi........

I am sure a software fix is possible to add an audible warning.Although with all the safely equipment on mine I get plenty of other audibles constantly.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I spoke with the service manager and he said he never heard of, or saw an audible alert option. Can you please share where the update was performed so I can all the service department to get more information. Thanks.
I didn't get an update. I received the Stelvio with v72 in the infotainment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi - further to your post, please would you confirm what model / year of Stelvio you have. I have just bought a used '18 Ti and asked about a software update to enable the noise indicator on the blind spot monitor and the dealership told me that it was not possible. Appreciate any advice you have. My other cars have an audible noise, I think it is a great enhancement to just having a warning light. Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
hi - further to your post, please would you confirm what model / year of Stelvio you have. I have just bought a used '18 Ti and asked about a software update to enable the noise indicator on the blind spot monitor and the dealership told me that it was not possible. Appreciate any advice you have. My other cars have an audible noise, I think it is a great enhancement to just having a warning light. Thanks
Mine is a MY18 built 7/18 with v72 update in the infotainment. Don't hold your breath on updates, since our cars are under NAFTA, AR is having issues/problems? supplying updates. There a few threads on the Giulia forums with more detail on this. It's not as simple as updating the infotainment, some new features also require flashing of the individual modules. For instance, if you want to be able to turn off easy entry and it's not currently a feature in your infotainment, updating it will not do you any good. The modules on the seats also need a flash.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I actually like that there is not an audible signal. We have that on our Dodge Durango and it really bugs me. One reason is the blind spot zone on the Durango is very long, many car lengths. So it tends to still have a warning on at the point I would like to move over. The Stelvio zone is much smaller. I never get the flash. I assume AR engineers figure we are accelerating into our lane changes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
With the new firmware 085 for the ETM now I also have the option to choose audible and visual or just visual for the BSM.

On a friend of mine Stelvio with the same update he has the option BUT no audible on his Stelivo due to the older firmware on his BSM.

BTW the lane departure warning is now..... simple you can have a heart attack... they changed the sound and it is very loud now.

·
Registered
179 Posts
With the new firmware 085 for the ETM now I also have the option to choose audible and visual or just visual for the BSM.

On a friend of mine Stelvio with the same update he has the option BUT no audible on his Stelivo due to the older firmware on his BSM.

BTW the lane departure warning is now..... simple you can have a heart attack... they changed the sound and it is very loud now.
How do you manage to keep getting updates? Or have you?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Updates are available from time to time for the ETM... right now version 085 is the last available (at least it was a month ago) for the new hardware.

Other updates I am getting at the dealer (a friend of mine, not the local one) being using their services for the last 15 years with my Alfas and Fiats. Next time we will try to see if we can get more updates on the witech as there must be one for the BSM and some other ECU, also there is another way to get these updates...but I still have to test it.

Also I am considering getting the Witech and subscription for it in the end of the year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts