Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share with all of you my Stelvio experience.

After many years of driving BMW's, in January 2019, I leased a brand new Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport from Ramsey Alfa Romeo in NJ. As soon as I drove it off the lot, I was in love. Perfect size, light, fast, handles like it's on rails and looks great. I could not stop driving this car. My daily commute from Brooklyn to my Bronx office was a pleasure.

When lockdowns were issued due to COVID 19 pandemic, the car was parked for 4 days. When I wanted to take the car out it was dead. No power, no ignition, couldn't even open doors with remote. Called roadside, out she went to the dealer for battery replacement. OK, I though, happens, I still love it.

Fastforward, June 10, 2021. Check engine light comes on, front collision warning deactivated, stop/start deactivated, power reduced. Called Ramsey asking for appointment to service the car with a loaner. First available July 15, 2021. Explained all service light are on. Its ok they say, if it drives it will be fine. Manager calls me back, I have an appointment for June 30. I said OK, but few days later, work schedule made June 30 impossible. Called Ramsey asked to reschedule, they gave me July 19.

July 4, 2021, driving to the Bronx, on the Whitestone Expressway, engine loses power. I stop, open the hood, oil and antifreeze all over the engine bay. Obviously, I call roadside assistance, had to tow the car off the highway first, after that, AR Roadside picked it up and took it to Alfa Romeo of Larchmont.

July 6, 2021, AR of Larchmont calls, they won't repair the car, too much work for them (ever heard a dealer say that?). AR Roadside towes the car to AR of Greenwich. Blown engine requiring full engine replacement, 2-3 weeks my car is out of commission.

Dealer will not provide a loaner, AR of North America will reimburse $60 per day including taxes and fees for a rental. The cheapest rental is $95 per day plus tax. So I have to be out of pocket $550 plus my lease payment for two weeks. Obviously, more if repair takes longer. While I perfectly understand things happen, not everything is perfect but a blown engine at 27,000 miles? AR should have at least covered a full rental in this situation.

As much as I love this car, I will not be purchasing another AR product again. Besides having the car towed twice and telling me I have to be out of pocket during blown engine work to have a car, somehow, I will survive without AR in my life.

I hope your experiences are better than mine.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
The dealer situation really does need to be dealt with by Alfa. Regardless..yeah, I've heard that come from at least one dealer from every brand. It's simply the most extreme version of the old, "They all do that." Or "We can't replicate the problem." BS. It's an excuse, happens everywhere... shouldn't though.

Sorry that happened, the dealer should not be telling you to drive with that many lights illuminated, in the least the CEL light should be read before saying that.

And yeah..Alfa should require full rental coverage during repairs. 100% fail on thier part.

Still, 4cyl replacements are rare, especially an example as extreme as this. Out of interest is there an official diagnosis as to what happened?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer situation really does need to be dealt with by Alfa. Regardless..yeah, I've heard that come from at least one dealer from every brand. It's simply the most extreme version of the old, "They all do that." Or "We can't replicate the problem." BS. It's an excuse, happens everywhere... shouldn't though.

Sorry that happened, the dealer should not be telling you to drive with that many lights illuminated, in the least the CEL light should be read before saying that.

And yeah..Alfa should require full rental coverage during repairs. 100% fail on thier part.

Still, 4cyl replacements are rare, especially an example as extreme as this. Out of interest is there an official diagnosis as to what happened?
Not yet. They are still unsure as what happened. They are asking me what happened.

·
Registered
416 Posts
So the lessons of the 1990s have still not been learned. I would probably do the same.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the lessons of the 1990s have still not been learned. I would probably do the same.
Not in my scenario. My partner has the same car only in red. Her car was towed to the dealer twice for battery replacement. She will not get another AR either.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I wanted to share with all of you my Stelvio experience.

After many years of driving BMW's, in January 2019, I leased a brand new Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport from Ramsey Alfa Romeo in NJ. As soon as I drove it off the lot, I was in love. Perfect size, light, fast, handles like it's on rails and looks great. I could not stop driving this car. My daily commute from Brooklyn to my Bronx office was a pleasure.

When lockdowns were issued due to COVID 19 pandemic, the car was parked for 4 days. When I wanted to take the car out it was dead. No power, no ignition, couldn't even open doors with remote. Called roadside, out she went to the dealer for battery replacement. OK, I though, happens, I still love it.

Fastforward, June 10, 2021. Check engine light comes on, front collision warning deactivated, stop/start deactivated, power reduced. Called Ramsey asking for appointment to service the car with a loaner. First available July 15, 2021. Explained all service light are on. Its ok they say, if it drives it will be fine. Manager calls me back, I have an appointment for June 30. I said OK, but few days later, work schedule made June 30 impossible. Called Ramsey asked to reschedule, they gave me July 19.

July 4, 2021, driving to the Bronx, on the Whitestone Expressway, engine loses power. I stop, open the hood, oil and antifreeze all over the engine bay. Obviously, I call roadside assistance, had to tow the car off the highway first, after that, AR Roadside picked it up and took it to Alfa Romeo of Larchmont.

July 6, 2021, AR of Larchmont calls, they won't repair the car, too much work for them (ever heard a dealer say that?). AR Roadside towes the car to AR of Greenwich. Blown engine requiring full engine replacement, 2-3 weeks my car is out of commission.

Dealer will not provide a loaner, AR of North America will reimburse $60 per day including taxes and fees for a rental. The cheapest rental is $95 per day plus tax. So I have to be out of pocket $550 plus my lease payment for two weeks. Obviously, more if repair takes longer. While I perfectly understand things happen, not everything is perfect but a blown engine at 27,000 miles? AR should have at least covered a full rental in this situation.

As much as I love this car, I will not be purchasing another AR product again. Besides having the car towed twice and telling me I have to be out of pocket during blown engine work to have a car, somehow, I will survive without AR in my life.

I hope your experiences are better than mine.
Rental insurance is cheap and effective....unless you have multiple cars. Your original dealer screwed up. The lights are there for a reason. Good luck and the Greenwich dealership is VERY good. Think of all the other brands there....

so the other owner didn't understand the need for a battery tender twice, yet blames it on the car...most every car on the market has discharge issues in a few weeks esp BMW's...ask me how I know? GENIUS......

Reactions: sutolarove

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Yup..all smart charging algorithms are crap. (IBS being crap...just makes sense of you think about it...poorly chosen name)

Volvo has had enough class-action lawsuits over battery drain that they now have an online FAQ for it. (Known issue with Volvos since 2010) Battery drain | Driving recommendations | Starting and driving | XC90 2020 Early | Volvo Support

Even the bastion of automotive reliability known as Lexus has problems.

On the RX series...goes back to 2016. Battery Drain (Notice the replies here could be interchanged with replies to battery problems on Alfas..right down to just replace it yourself with an AGM battery...)

Not a brand thing. A stupid execution of a bad concept thing..but it's "green", so nobody is trying to fix the real problem.

The dealers need to handle the problem better, no doubt. However if you never want to have battery problems on a new vehicle.....good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so the other owner didn't understand the need for a battery tender twice, yet blames it on the car...most every car on the market has discharge issues in a few weeks esp BMW's...ask me how I know? GENIUS......
Honestly, I never used battery tenders in any of my cars, ever. Never have I had a dead batter in any of my cars just because it was parked for a few days.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, This is not the only car to have a battery or charging issue. So it is OK then. We just keep lowering the standard. Every time somebody brings up a legitimate issue whatever that may be we just resolve it by pointing out that other brands may have the same issue. Bravo.
There wont be any class action law suits here, not enough customers.
I for one charge the battery every weekend. If i dont drive it for two days the battery is dead. Service saiz its still ok. No im not buying no damn battery, already paid for one.
I enjoy driving my car but im neither kneeling in front of it every morning before i start it or do dances around it or some other ritual, hoping Alfa gods will allow me to enjoy the car for the day....
In other words it better start or there will be hell. A perfectly healthy and functioning ( so far) love and hate relationship.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
The point is ragging on Alfa while praising the other brands is wrong.

Fact is Alfa isn't the one lowering the standards. In many ways they raised the standards (at least in terms of ease of maintenance, body integrity, and AWD design, other stuff too) but people would rather point out shortcomings then buildup successes, of which Alfa has many of both.

Automotive standards tanked when Tesla introduced consumer grade electronics to the auto world and...nobody..to this day...says boo about it. They just stare at the cheap tablet in the dash. (Then trust in 1.2 megapixel cameras to "see" and drive better then they do.)

Literally every other manufacturer has been dropping standards like a rock since that happened.

Love the exaggeration about the battery too. 3 years, no problems, no dancing, no ritual. Which is the case for most owners. Of all brands. But not all owners. There are more than enough sales for there to be a class action lawsuit against Alfa...just not enough people who think replacing a battery is that big of a deal, and unlike, say, Subaru, those who replace the battery stop having problems for the most part. (Subaru, they keep dying. Subaru's response to this? Petition the court to dismiss because...the problem isn't unique to Subaru so they shouldn't be responsible. Which worked, the first case was partially dismissed. This is the second case. Real talk..Alfa is not the one lowering the standards. Bigger more successful brands are)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Interesting comments. Several things stand out: no modern battery should discharge after four days. I'm not making comparisons to other brands, just stating that should not happen with any vehicle under 4 years old. Also, no dealer should be able to state they can't service a new vehicle. That's not a prime time brand.

To the issue of difficult scheduling for service these days, I'm finding that this summer that's true of many dealers. Sad, but true.

I feel for you dealing with this. I likely wouldn't repurchase a brand I had this experience with either. Hopefully the remainder of your lease will be trouble free and you can move on from there.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Let's point a finger at the folks that want every electrical accessory known to man in their vehicle. Next we'l be installing blenders for options as we already have refrigerators... The more electricals the more wiring and circuitry, the more parasitc draw. Next thing folks comkplained about was how long it took everything to boot up so they keep the brains in more of a sleep mode than OFF. Result, more parasitic draw..... What they once did does not work any longer, thus the reason a tender can save everyone a lot of hassles. 3.5 yrs zero issues--->>>Deltran battery tender on all vehicles that sit more than a few days. Amazing how a 15 second plug in if you take the time to install the proper connector can solve the majority of electrical problems in most vehicles built.

BMW's are notorious and certainly no longer prime time in my eyes.... Look at all the lawsuits out there. Its not an Alfa thing. Its a consumer /industry thing.

Reactions: sutolarove

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yep, most brands have some issues. Again, no new battery should discharge after four days. And again, a franchised dealer that states they can't do a standard engine swap, well...

After owning 15 different brands, and having eight plus now, I've made the same decision not to repurchase several based on qrd issues with the vehicle itself, or poor repair/service experiences from the dealer network/the manufacturer post purchase.

I've really enjoyed my Alfa, so a repurchase is likely for me, but if my experience was that of this original poster, it would very likely be on my do not repurchase list.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Regarding batteries, my 2020 x5 was parked for roughly 3 months? started right back up no problem.
Of all the cars ive owned in the past 7 years, only the 2015 golf r gave me a dead keyfob.
My 2008 135i could even go weeks without dead battery!
I still want a stelvio though and im still rooting for alfa! i hope they turn things around and keep making fantastic cars.
But dead battery after 3 weeks should not happen on a new car, period.

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree --- the dealer situation is beyond catastrophically bad. I have had to source dealers far away for simple routine service --- my experience is that most FCA/Stelantis dealers shouldn't be allowed to service a tricycle --- God help FCA/Stelantis when they electrify --- they have poor dealer service quality now.

In short AR are great cars, (in my experience better than BMW for driving experience) being sold and serviced in the U.S. in most part by unqualified dealers with terrible customer service skills. AR would benefit if the parent company modeled dealerships after BMW or Mercedes and not after the failed Chrysler model.

I would give the cars an A rating --- the dealers deserve less than F. BTW --- the service people all beg for a good survey review --- I've even had them tell me they can lose their jobs if they don't get good survey reviews! Totally absurd!!!

AR USA, I hope you do something about the dealer situation... ... get some dealership service competency....and soon!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts