Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio Ti Sport
239 Posts
I agree --- the dealer situation is beyond catastrophically bad. I have had to source dealers far away for simple routine service --- my experience is that most FCA/Stelantis dealers shouldn't be allowed to service a tricycle --- God help FCA/Stelantis when they electrify --- they have poor dealer service quality now.

In short AR are great cars, (in my experience better than BMW for driving experience) being sold and serviced in the U.S. in most part by unqualified dealers with terrible customer service skills. AR would benefit if the parent company modeled dealerships after BMW or Mercedes and not after the failed Chrysler model.

I would give the cars an A rating --- the dealers deserve less than F. BTW --- the service people all beg for a good survey review --- I've even had them tell me they can lose their jobs if they don't get good survey reviews! Totally absurd!!!

AR USA, I hope you do something about the dealer situation... ... get some dealership service competency....and soon!
Or even Volvo. All the AR dealers have espresso machines that haven't worked in 3 years, bottles of water piled up on a counter, never offer a water or have that nice of a waiting area. One is even a Maserati dealer. I believe people buy cars sometime just on the service centers, oooo free stuff while i spend thousands. BMW service centers by me are always packed, sometimes not even a seat. But even if the tires fell off they seem to not care because they got a danish and coffee and sat on a vinyl leather looking chair.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Supposedly the dealer has to have one tech that has been trained. So if you dont get THAT tech well.....
There is a huge training problem, its expensive for the dealer and logical thinking is required to actually troubleshoot problems. The plug it in and computer sez replace this part is bs. It only tells you what part is not funtioning not that its bad or needs replacing yet thats what happens, which is why multiple trips are needed sometimes to fix the same problem that they will claim is a different problem.
Mercedes uses two batteries, big one for most things and a little motorcycle battery to keep the computers happy. Pretty smart actually. Dont lose your presets when the battery inevitably fails.
Battery problems are just the cost of all the electronics. Alfa battery is as big as the ones we used to put in diesels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wanted to share with all of you my Stelvio experience.

After many years of driving BMW's, in January 2019, I leased a brand new Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport from Ramsey Alfa Romeo in NJ. As soon as I drove it off the lot, I was in love. Perfect size, light, fast, handles like it's on rails and looks great. I could not stop driving this car. My daily commute from Brooklyn to my Bronx office was a pleasure.

When lockdowns were issued due to COVID 19 pandemic, the car was parked for 4 days. When I wanted to take the car out it was dead. No power, no ignition, couldn't even open doors with remote. Called roadside, out she went to the dealer for battery replacement. OK, I though, happens, I still love it.

Fastforward, June 10, 2021. Check engine light comes on, front collision warning deactivated, stop/start deactivated, power reduced. Called Ramsey asking for appointment to service the car with a loaner. First available July 15, 2021. Explained all service light are on. Its ok they say, if it drives it will be fine. Manager calls me back, I have an appointment for June 30. I said OK, but few days later, work schedule made June 30 impossible. Called Ramsey asked to reschedule, they gave me July 19.

July 4, 2021, driving to the Bronx, on the Whitestone Expressway, engine loses power. I stop, open the hood, oil and antifreeze all over the engine bay. Obviously, I call roadside assistance, had to tow the car off the highway first, after that, AR Roadside picked it up and took it to Alfa Romeo of Larchmont.

July 6, 2021, AR of Larchmont calls, they won't repair the car, too much work for them (ever heard a dealer say that?). AR Roadside towes the car to AR of Greenwich. Blown engine requiring full engine replacement, 2-3 weeks my car is out of commission.

Dealer will not provide a loaner, AR of North America will reimburse $60 per day including taxes and fees for a rental. The cheapest rental is $95 per day plus tax. So I have to be out of pocket $550 plus my lease payment for two weeks. Obviously, more if repair takes longer. While I perfectly understand things happen, not everything is perfect but a blown engine at 27,000 miles? AR should have at least covered a full rental in this situation.

As much as I love this car, I will not be purchasing another AR product again. Besides having the car towed twice and telling me I have to be out of pocket during blown engine work to have a car, somehow, I will survive without AR in my life.

I hope your experiences are better than mine.
HI,
I have a 2018 Ti Sport and the engine failed at about 38,000 miles. I was able to get AR to pay a little more for the rental, but that was before Covid and the prices of rental cars going up. However, I also got them to pay for my monthly loan payment as the car was in the sport for about 6weeks.
I do love driving the Stelvio, but there are some issues that seem to be unresolved like the engine failures, which BTW was really related to a problem with the turbo charger, and the battery going dead, which I experienced as well.
Good luck going forward.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I wanted to give you guys an update on my Stelvio. Since the engine failed on July 4, AR is still waiting for parts. I got an email stating that next week they will hope to get all parts in (maybe). So the car has been out of commission for a month. They still don't have parts. In the meantime, I have no car since AR is only paying $60 per day and based on all this I will be without a car at least another month (If I am lucky) but somehow I think it will be much longer than that.

My only happiness in all this is that I work within walking distance from home and that my lease is up in January.

Honestly, I cant wait for this lease to end so that I never have to deal with AR again.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wanted to give you guys an update on my Stelvio. Since the engine failed on July 4, AR is still waiting for parts. I got an email stating that next week they will hope to get all parts in (maybe). So the car has been out of commission for a month. They still don't have parts. In the meantime, I have no car since AR is only paying $60 per day and based on all this I will be without a car at least another month (If I am lucky) but somehow I think it will be much longer than that.

My only happiness in all this is that I work within walking distance from home and that my lease is up in January.

Honestly, I cant wait for this lease to end so that I never have to deal with AR again.
Any car can have problems. AR is just as reliable as the next brand!

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Has there been a diagnosis as to what caused the failure?

What parts were ordered?

Probably doesn't make you feel good but the family shop been waiting 5 weeks for a master cylinder on a 2 year old Toyota Camry, failed 200 miles out of warranty, showed a Toyota factory representative the part which is pretty obviously defective (customer took the car to the dealer repeatedly for inconsistent braking issues before the warranty ran out, dealer couldn't replicate the problem of course, took it apart and a seal is obviously misshaped) but Toyota won't cover it now, out of warranty, should have been found sooner, can't prove the defect manifested before the warranty expired, maybe the issues happened during dissasembly. Customer drives alot, is part of the Toyota cult and only wants factory parts, this has done nothing to change his mind about the reliability of his car...the factory can't send the parts, shortages. We live in a time period that will be studied in history books...which pretty much sucks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My unmoded 2016 Mazda MX-5 nd blew its manual gearbox and tore its soft top just under 30k miles. Both were major bills and Mazda did not care about it since the car was already out of warranty. Not to say about my past experience with BMW (early n20 engine that broke its oil pump chain just out of warranty with subsequent mess in the engine) Audi (stupid, malfunctioning dual clutch transmission) or Mercedes that is simply disintegrating, squeaking and rattling all the time.

So instead of going after mythically reliable car it is better to get the one you enjoy the most.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm stealing that line ! ---> So instead of going after mythically reliable car it is better to get the one you enjoy the most.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I perfectly understand that all makes and models have their own issues and it can happen anywhere. However, if AR is marketing themselves as premium brand, what they should have done is put me in a loaner while that engine is being replaced.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Has there been a diagnosis as to what caused the failure?

What parts were ordered?

Probably doesn't make you feel good but the family shop been waiting 5 weeks for a master cylinder on a 2 year old Toyota Camry, failed 200 miles out of warranty, showed a Toyota factory representative the part which is pretty obviously defective (customer took the car to the dealer repeatedly for inconsistent braking issues before the warranty ran out, dealer couldn't replicate the problem of course, took it apart and a seal is obviously misshaped) but Toyota won't cover it now, out of warranty, should have been found sooner, can't prove the defect manifested before the warranty expired, maybe the issues happened during dissasembly. Customer drives alot, is part of the Toyota cult and only wants factory parts, this has done nothing to change his mind about the reliability of his car...the factory can't send the parts, shortages. We live in a time period that will be studied in history books...which pretty much sucks.
First they were waiting for a pump and now they are waiting for a starter.

I don't know what caused the failure and the dealer has not called back. I deal with AR customer care.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts