Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sent an email to Borla to see if they plan on coming up an exhaust system, either from cat back or axle back, for our Stelvio's. I will update this thread when I hear back from them.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remus in Austria is apparently doing a replacement exhaust: www.remus.eu
Yes, I have read about them as well and checked out their website. For me, I am hoping someone comes out with a system that includes a sport type of muffler. I think I would like a setup like that.

·
Registered
536 Posts
curuious I've no experience with aftermarket exhausts on cars. Any issue with throwing faults on the electronics? What does it do to the warranty?

Does anyone know if AR plans to do a factory exhaust?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Catback exhausts tend to reduce backpressure a bit and are mostly for sound. They do not void warranties and rarely throw codes. I was looking under my Stelvio yesterday to see how a trailer hitch could be added, and I saw that a catback exhaust could be bolted on.

Borla makes exceptional mufflers. I have one on my Porsche 944 Turbo and my brother has one on his Corvette. Both sound awesome, but the base exhaust note on both cars is good to begin with. This is not true with every car. The Remus clip for the Stelvio that someone posted sounds great.

·
Registered
534 Posts
There is another thread that quotes a online review about the Stelvio having engine noise piped into the cabin.
This was not something I realized before, so now it makes me wonder how much of what we are hearing is exhaust vs speaker noise.
Will an aftermarket exhaust make a difference inside the cabin if what we hear is through the speakers?

·
Registered
241 Posts
There is another thread that quotes a online review about the Stelvio having engine noise piped into the cabin.
This was not something I realized before, so now it makes me wonder how much of what we are hearing is exhaust vs speaker noise.
Will an aftermarket exhaust make a difference inside the cabin if what we hear is through the speakers?
It might depend on the insulation. If the Stelvio has decent insulation, you may not hear as much of the louder exhaust note from the Borla/Remus catback. I am not sure if there is a microphone somewhere, or the "enhanced exhaust" coming through the speakers is synthesized (sampled and stored electronically). I think Miata's after 2009 had a tunnel from the engine compartment into the cabin to enhance sound- which is the most real sound you can get.

Just not sure how Alfa is producing the enhanced sound.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I've read the cabin sound is enhanced with a microphone somewhere in the engine bay.

As for the Remus, it did sound decent, but personally I preferred the sound of the Madness Autoworks Lusso exhaust personally.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talked to Borla, they do not have anything in the works as of now. They may have a look at doing that later this year.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a Borla exhaust system on my Mustang. It's the best cat back system ever!

Your biggest fear for an after-market exhaust system is the drone. For Borla, there is no drone of whatsoever at all. It is actually quiet when cruising. BUT, when you press the gas pedal and when the engine is under load, the sound is so orgasmic!

The Borla system also does not require fiberglass fillings to quiet things done. Instead, it is based on pure mechanical sound cancelling design!

I've used them for >5 years now, the stainless steel still looks like new.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a Borla exhaust system on my Mustang. It's the best cat back system ever!

Your biggest fear for an after-market exhaust system is the drone. For Borla, there is no drone of whatsoever at all. It is actually quiet when cruising. BUT, when you press the gas pedal and when the engine is under load, the sound is so orgasmic!

The Borla system also does not require fiberglass fillings to quiet things done. Instead, it is based on pure mechanical sound cancelling design!

I've used them for >5 years now, the stainless steel still looks like new.
Borla is excellent-- but we cannot get a Borla for our Stelvios- at least for now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It cost me >$700 for on Borla exhaust on my Mustang. Considering the customer base of Mustang is much larger than Stelvio, I imagine the Borla exhaust for the Stelvio will cost >$1000 for sure due to the R&D investment.

Borla is excellent-- but we cannot get a Borla for our Stelvios- at least for now.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm liking the remus exhaust that's coming for the stelvio.

It cost me >$700 for on Borla exhaust on my Mustang. Considering the customer base of Mustang is much larger than Stelvio, I imagine the Borla exhaust for the Stelvio will cost >$1000 for sure due to the R&D investment.

·
Read Only
849 Posts
It might depend on the insulation. If the Stelvio has decent insulation, you may not hear as much of the louder exhaust note from the Borla/Remus catback. I am not sure if there is a microphone somewhere, or the "enhanced exhaust" coming through the speakers is synthesized (sampled and stored electronically). I think Miata's after 2009 had a tunnel from the engine compartment into the cabin to enhance sound- which is the most real sound you can get.

Just not sure how Alfa is producing the enhanced sound.
Yes, Alfa in Stelvio and Giulia use sound enhancement, tale a look on your car inventory

1 - 20 of 26 Posts