Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

Borla Exhaust

14K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  JD123 
#1 ·
I have sent an email to Borla to see if they plan on coming up an exhaust system, either from cat back or axle back, for our Stelvio's. I will update this thread when I hear back from them.

#3 ·
Yes, I have read about them as well and checked out their website. For me, I am hoping someone comes out with a system that includes a sport type of muffler. I think I would like a setup like that.

#6 ·
Catback exhausts tend to reduce backpressure a bit and are mostly for sound. They do not void warranties and rarely throw codes. I was looking under my Stelvio yesterday to see how a trailer hitch could be added, and I saw that a catback exhaust could be bolted on.

Borla makes exceptional mufflers. I have one on my Porsche 944 Turbo and my brother has one on his Corvette. Both sound awesome, but the base exhaust note on both cars is good to begin with. This is not true with every car. The Remus clip for the Stelvio that someone posted sounds great.

#7 ·
There is another thread that quotes a online review about the Stelvio having engine noise piped into the cabin.
This was not something I realized before, so now it makes me wonder how much of what we are hearing is exhaust vs speaker noise.
Will an aftermarket exhaust make a difference inside the cabin if what we hear is through the speakers?

#8 ·
It might depend on the insulation. If the Stelvio has decent insulation, you may not hear as much of the louder exhaust note from the Borla/Remus catback. I am not sure if there is a microphone somewhere, or the "enhanced exhaust" coming through the speakers is synthesized (sampled and stored electronically). I think Miata's after 2009 had a tunnel from the engine compartment into the cabin to enhance sound- which is the most real sound you can get.

Just not sure how Alfa is producing the enhanced sound.

#9 ·
I've read the cabin sound is enhanced with a microphone somewhere in the engine bay.

As for the Remus, it did sound decent, but personally I preferred the sound of the Madness Autoworks Lusso exhaust personally.

#13 ·
I have a Borla exhaust system on my Mustang. It's the best cat back system ever!

Your biggest fear for an after-market exhaust system is the drone. For Borla, there is no drone of whatsoever at all. It is actually quiet when cruising. BUT, when you press the gas pedal and when the engine is under load, the sound is so orgasmic!

The Borla system also does not require fiberglass fillings to quiet things done. Instead, it is based on pure mechanical sound cancelling design!

I've used them for >5 years now, the stainless steel still looks like new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.