Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Stelvio owners!

We've been in the market for a crossover for a while to replace a Mazda CX-5 we've had for 5 years and getting bored of. Honestly, I had not considered the Stelvio at all as a possible replacement until yesterday when I watched an episode of Grand Touring that featured the Quadrfoglio. Hmm, while a 505 HP vehicle is not for me, the show definitely piqued my interest.

So today I visited an Alfa dealer just to take a look and get a test drive. Low and behold a short drive later followed by some number talk and I left my CX-5 behind and walked away with a 2019 Stelvio Sport AWD!

I didn't even know that there was a "Sport" model. Certainly the Alfa USA site doesn't make it obvious from the main Stelvio page but I finally found it after the fact. My car has a number of options but the package that I wasn't aware of that makes this car the Sport model is package 22J that includes AWD, 19" 5-hole wheels (so cool), paddle shifters and other niceties that almost make this a TI model. I stopped short of purchasing a TI as it was more than I was willing to go, price wise.

The rather large paddle shifters take some getting used to. After about 25 miles I finally stopped hitting them by accident and bruising my hand!

Apple CarPlay works like a charm but the interaction with it using the "old-school" dial interface took some getting used to. I would have preferred a touch screen but I'll get used to it.

It's really no comparison the Stelvio driving experience vs my CX-5. It just went from boring to fun, though I didn't try the latest turbo CX-5 engine nor do I want to now.

Anyways, I'm glad I pulled the trigger and happy to join this forum. I hope to learn a lot more about the vehicle from all you experienced owners. I've got some questions about the car that I'm sure have been answered multiple times so I'll make use of the forum's search capability before posting.

Pic of my white Stelvio with black/red interior is attached. I really dig that red interior!

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,489 Posts
Anson- Great post + welcome to the fam damily. Wishing you much enjoyment and look forward to your comments and escapades.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks @Alfabreath and @Scalewoodman!

I had a bit of unexpected fun while shopping yesterday. I was given the requirement that our CX-5 replacement must be able to hold more than one set of golf clubs without having to fold a seat down. That eliminated some vehicle options right away. But on sight I was definitely worried the Stelvio couldn't do this and my salesperson wasn't 100% sure either. But he did suggest we make the short trip – in my Stelvio to be, of course – to a nearby golf course. So we hit the pro shop, briefly borrowed a golf bag, some clubs and a very large driver. And wouldn't you know it? A bag with all clubs in it can easily fit diagonally, two when stacked. Also, the widest point nearest the opening at the back can fit a golf bag with driver horizontally across. Looks can be deceiving! Suffice it to say I was glad we made that little side trip. If I had truly been in buying mode from the get to I would have brought golf clubs with me, but it worked out well anyways thanks to a quick thinking sales person (who is now also armed with this info).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks @Alfabreath and @Scalewoodman!

I had a bit of unexpected fun while shopping yesterday. I was given the requirement that our CX-5 replacement must be able to hold more than one set of golf clubs without having to fold a seat down. That eliminated some vehicle options right away. But on sight I was definitely worried the Stelvio couldn't do this and my salesperson wasn't 100% sure either. But he did suggest we make the short trip – in my Stelvio to be, of course – to a nearby golf course. So we hit the pro shop, briefly borrowed a golf bag, some clubs and a very large driver. And wouldn't you know it? A bag with all clubs in it can easily fit diagonally, two when stacked. Also, the widest point nearest the opening at the back can fit a golf bag with driver horizontally across. Looks can be deceiving! Suffice it to say I was glad we made that little side trip. If I had truly been in buying mode from the get to I would have brought golf clubs with me, but it worked out well anyways thanks to a quick thinking sales person (who is now also armed with this info).
You must have short clubs, I have to take my driver out of the bag. Also with the HK sub, theres no way one will fit horizontally for me.

Enjoy it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, @ifly4fun! My car doesn't have the HK premium sound so I have space where the subwoofer would go. The stock audio sounds better than the so-called "premium" sound on my 2015 CX-5 so it's all good, and I have extra space to boot :smile

·
Registered
53 Posts
Congrats, Anson42. You've got a great looking Stelvio. I'm sure you'll enjoy the improvement over the CX-5.

I've never liked any of the cars made by Mazda. Their Miata seems like the ultimate DweebMobile.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, @AugurMan! I’m over Mazda but perhaps excepting that dweeb mobile. I’ve driven a manual version and I have to say that car would be a great way to get back into a stick shift. But this is a Stelvio forum so I’ll leave it at that :)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
"The rather large paddle shifters take some getting used to. After about 25 miles I finally stopped hitting them by accident and bruising my hand!"
once you get the hang of these I think you'll be fine without a stick, or at least better than OK about it. instant fun when you want it.
I've enjoyed most rotary mazdas, going back to the R100, too bad no rotaries still produced.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome, Anson42.. Really is a nice Stelvio.. Good pic...

Hi, Stelvio owners!

We've been in the market for a crossover for a while to replace a Mazda CX-5 we've had for 5 years and getting bored of. Honestly, I had not considered the Stelvio at all as a possible replacement until yesterday when I watched an episode of Grand Touring that featured the Quadrfoglio. Hmm, while a 505 HP vehicle is not for me, the show definitely piqued my interest.

So today I visited an Alfa dealer just to take a look and get a test drive. Low and behold a short drive later followed by some number talk and I left my CX-5 behind and walked away with a 2019 Stelvio Sport AWD!

I didn't even know that there was a "Sport" model. Certainly the Alfa USA site doesn't make it obvious from the main Stelvio page but I finally found it after the fact. My car has a number of options but the package that I wasn't aware of that makes this car the Sport model is package 22J that includes AWD, 19" 5-hole wheels (so cool), paddle shifters and other niceties that almost make this a TI model. I stopped short of purchasing a TI as it was more than I was willing to go, price wise.

The rather large paddle shifters take some getting used to. After about 25 miles I finally stopped hitting them by accident and bruising my hand!

Apple CarPlay works like a charm but the interaction with it using the "old-school" dial interface took some getting used to. I would have preferred a touch screen but I'll get used to it.

It's really no comparison the Stelvio driving experience vs my CX-5. It just went from boring to fun, though I didn't try the latest turbo CX-5 engine nor do I want to now.

Anyways, I'm glad I pulled the trigger and happy to join this forum. I hope to learn a lot more about the vehicle from all you experienced owners. I've got some questions about the car that I'm sure have been answered multiple times so I'll make use of the forum's search capability before posting.

Pic of my white Stelvio with black/red interior is attached. I really dig that red interior!

Cheers!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, @lost1750GTV and @Prima Alfa. I'm following the suggested break-in phases in the manual which means soon I'll be making use of the paddle shifters and hitting higher revs. Looking forward to it!

After a few days now, I'm definitely not a huge fan of the built-in media system, but thanks to Apple CarPlay I largely ignore it unless there's something on SiriusXM I want to listen to. The beauty of CarPlay is consistency of experience across different vehicles. [And speaking of Mazda, the Miata is still one of the vehicles in the lineup that doesn't yet support CarPlay last I checked. Boo to that.]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Congratulations.

My wife and I just rewatched the episode of the Grand Tour which featured the Stelvio Quadrifoglio (as well as the Porsche Macan and Range Rover Velar). While the segment was certainly comical, it didn't do the Stelvio any favors so I am a little surprised that it piqued your interest. First portion was out on the track, where the Stelvio clearly dominated but there was still still lots of talk amongst the hosts about how SUVs aren't comparable to cars (which seems like an obvious point). Next up was a bit of driving on dirt which caused both the Porsche and Alfa Romeo to go into limp home mode. During this portion, Jeremy tried to perform a handbrake turn with the Stelvio's electronic handbrake; which was obviously doomed to failure. A demonstration that large live dogs won't volunatrily position themselves just so in a cargo area without the rear seats down "proved" limited utility of all vehicles in the test. The final towing portion found the Stelvio disappearing altogether to be replaced by a Ford F150. I know the show is essentially exclusively for entertainment but have to imagine the segment generally didn't do Stelvio sales any favors. If I was an Alfa Romeo executive, I think I would have been more than a little annoyed at how the represented the vehicle. They did it a real disservice in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
"a real disservice"

no kidding, just a show to say they hate suvs.
and the "no tow" thing, just plain false.
"obvious point" - not really, quattrroute magazine has tested a variety of giulias and stelvios - tire differences aside their lap times are about the same, with a q4 stelvio faster than a rwd giulia.

the corsa tires on giulia q are typically worth 1 1/2 to 2 seconds compared to true street tires, as on the SQ. guess what the lap time difference is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, @Friscorays. I agree with you and @lost1750GTV as the show being a real disservice but being the show that it is, the content is largely just entertainment and so I hope folks take everything said with a grain of salt. I did enjoy the Model X segment when the lawyers get involved :)

The episode did pique my interest because up until I watched it the Stelvio wasn't even on my radar, so full credit to the show even if it didn't do the QF version of the vehicle justice.

As for towing, I've never towed anything in my life so the Stelvio's 3000 lb towing spec was of no concern to me. But that F150 Raptor is a beast! My local Ford dealer has a $20K markup on the F150 Raptor. I didn't realize it was such a rarity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome and your Stelvio looks awesome! I too have to take out the driver to fit my golf bag in the back. Not a big deal for me cause i had to do it with my Jeep Cherokee also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome and your Stelvio looks awesome! I too have to take out the driver to fit my golf bag in the back. Not a big deal for me cause i had to do it with my Jeep Cherokee also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, @Drgen. I'm going to reserve final judgment on the cargo space until my wife takes the Stelvio out on her next golf day and tries to fit two or three bags in there!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts