Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to foolishly change my brakes myself. It was an easy job in theory. However unknown to me..I was supposed to pull the battery. The car has a failsafe mode, where you only have one front and one rear brake working. I almost hit anything in front of me. There seems to be no brake fluid to support the system. I was then told in order to fix the issue, Alfa needed to clear the fault codes...and there were many...service brake system...service emergency brake..ESC fault...you name it. The car was unsafe to drive. I took it to my buddy who put his multiscan on it with no luck. He had to dig under the dash to find a 12 and 8 prong...and I may be wrong. It was way up on the driver's side wiring harness. He used a Chrysler clip and jut reset it from there. They really don't want you to do anything yourself. The dealership wanted 1200 bucks to do the job...0EM pads and rotors, the crazy thing I'd if I wanted to do it, they had no availability for 6 weeks. I purchased significantly superior products at 400.00 with 200 in labor. All I can say is do a battery pull and you shouldn't have an issue. If you do...contact me and I can guide you...as a result of my cluster ferk. Two days driving in the rain with faulty brakes isn't fun...the fact that Alfa at any price would not flash the ECU so I can drive safe...makes me sick. I'm done with FCA...my cars engine at 36k died. It needed a new motor...under warranty thank God, and they kept it for almost 4 months. I filed a civil lawsuit. It's just beyond real at this point. I'm sorry but FCA is going downhill. They don't care about their consumers. When it was Daimler they did. They gave me nothing for my trouble. Nothing at all.

I'm just sick of the grief. I should have bought a Ford. Anyone have a pinto for sale.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
So I decided to foolishly change my brakes myself. It was an easy job in theory. However unknown to me..I was supposed to pull the battery. The car has a failsafe mode, where you only have one front and one rear brake working. I almost hit anything in front of me. There seems to be no brake fluid to support the system. I was then told in order to fix the issue, Alfa needed to clear the fault codes...and there were many...service brake system...service emergency brake..ESC fault...you name it. The car was unsafe to drive. I took it to my buddy who put his multiscan on it with no luck. He had to dig under the dash to find a 12 and 8 prong...and I may be wrong. It was way up on the driver's side wiring harness. He used a Chrysler clip and jut reset it from there. They really don't want you to do anything yourself. The dealership wanted 1200 bucks to do the job...0EM pads and rotors, the crazy thing I'd if I wanted to do it, they had no availability for 6 weeks. I purchased significantly superior products at 400.00 with 200 in labor. All I can say is do a battery pull and you shouldn't have an issue. If you do...contact me and I can guide you...as a result of my cluster ferk. Two days driving in the rain with faulty brakes isn't fun...the fact that Alfa at any price would not flash the ECU so I can drive safe...makes me sick. I'm done with FCA...my cars engine at 36k died. It needed a new motor...under warranty thank God, and they kept it for almost 4 months. I filed a civil lawsuit. It's just beyond real at this point. I'm sorry but FCA is going downhill. They don't care about their consumers. When it was Daimler they did. They gave me nothing for my trouble. Nothing at all.

I'm just sick of the grief. I should have bought a Ford. Anyone have a pinto for sale.

You drove your car with brakes locked up?

Ive done 6 pad swaps on the giulia. Never disconnected battery.

Can you tell us what you did?

·
Registered
899 Posts
This is crazy. Why would the car go into fail safe mode? These cars aren't brake pedal pump and fill like some old cars. I hope the sicillian didn't do that.... When you see electronic brake button on your cars, stop and read. You can't change brake fluid the traditional way. You need to use the compressors (manual or electric) to replace brake fluids.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport 2.0L Volcano Black Metallic/Red Int.
52 Posts

I have a HUGE question for you related to this issue; I just did my brakes all 4 corners myself and experienced the same problem. I understand that you did not disconnect the battery, and neither did I. But, i did disconnect the parking brake sensor, along with the brake pad wear sensor. This is where I think the issue lies: if you dont disconnect the battery to disable the ibs system, then you must leave the parking brake sensor harness plugged in. (Also performing the infotainment settings retractment procedure). After watching countless diy videos on the brake jobs Ive noticed nobody else disconnect the park brake sensor. But like i said, i did, without having the battery disconnected. So question is, did you have the park brake sensor still plugged in and only disconnect the pad sensor wire, or did you unplug both like me?

·
Registered
52 Posts
To add, this was a $300 visit to the dealer for me this past Saturday due to the fact that my scanner does not have multi scan tool and all buddies that have it are no longer in the area.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is crazy. Why would the car go into fail safe mode? These cars aren't brake pedal pump and fill like some old cars. I hope the sicillian didn't do that.... When you see electronic brake button on your cars, stop and read. You can't change brake fluid the traditional way. You need to use the compressors (manual or electric) to replace brake fluids.
He didnt do a brake fluid flush; he only did the brake pads/rotors. And he is ABSOLUTELY right about the failsafe mode this car has when the ABS, ESC, and brake service lights are on dash. It was F’ing scary. Only pass. side front brake works and driver side rear. The other corners do not compress the pistons; hence the no heat build up at those corners and f’ed up braking performance if you attempt to drive in this state.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, I made a huge mistake by taking mine to Jeffy Lube for brake fluid flush. I have done dozens of brake jobs and flush in the past with no issues. This time my buddy wasn’t available and dealers were giving appointments for 6 weeks later, so I took it to local Jeffy Lube. It is just a brake flush, what can go wrong? Right??? After the flush, car was on fail safe mode just the original poster. They redid it 3 times but the same result. Tons of warnings on the dash…Then it took to the dealer. They cleared the codes, reset the system and flushed again. Then it was ok.

Alfa is probably the worst vehicle in terms of electronics I have ever seen.

·
Registered
‘18 Stelvio Ti Sport fully loaded It’s a DRIVER!
281 Posts
Changed all four corners on my Stelvio without issue. Did not disconnect battery or drain fluid. Actually needed to remove some fluid when I pushed in the Pistons. I would love to know what procedure was followed. Did the OP remove the cap on the brake reservoir etc

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
420 Posts
Changed all four corners on my Stelvio without issue. Did not disconnect battery or drain fluid. Actually needed to remove some fluid when I pushed in the Pistons. I would love to know what procedure was followed. Did the OP remove the cap on the brake reservoir etc
OP hasn't been on for a for over a year and a half.
We'll never know....

·
Registered
281 Posts
OP hasn't been on for a for over a year and a half.
We'll never know....
ah just noticed the date on the OP. I do think there are posts just to start hate and discontent. For instance who buys an expensive car (or any car) and not know the warranty information? Warranty first and after that self maintain stuff that breaks.

Reactions: johnalfa

·
Registered
52 Posts
ah just noticed the date on the OP. I do think there are posts just to start hate and discontent. For instance who buys an expensive car (or any car) and not know the warranty information? Warranty first and after that self maintain stuff that breaks.
Ok so to stay on track, (not sure why brake fluid flushing is even being mentioned here, OP did not flush brakes, neither did I), my question to the OP and now to you is, did you unplug the electrical connector that connects to the rear parking brake? I did not disconnect the battery either, same with OP. But we obviously remove the brake wear sensor wire, but again, did you disconnect the parking brake wire harness along with it? or just brake wear sensor?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Basically, my theory is this: If the battery is not disconnected during the rear brake job, EVEN WHEN following the infotainment piston retracting procedure in settings, then the connector harness leading to each parking brake MUST stay plugged in, in order to not get the error codes/fail safe limp mode after performing a near flawless brake job. I believe that the memory for the IBS (integrated brake system) will remain present if A) the battery is disconnected at negative terminal or, B) if battery is still connected, leave the rear Parking brake wiring harness connected, and only undo the wiring for the Rear brake pad wear sensors.
As a group I really hope we are onto something that will help hundreds, if not thousands of owners perform their own brake jobs without any worries about electrical gremlins afterwards. Along with all of your trials, I know we have all seen it done before without any errors.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I replaced my rotors and the pads without disconnecting the battery. I did place the car in a service mode and it was same as any other cars.. sensor wasn't replaced since I never got the indicator to go off. I just transferred the sensor from the old pad to the new one as I would have done for any other cars. No fail safe, no warning lights at all. So for those who are getting these fail safe issue, I'm just simply curious. Did you turn off your car after you placed your car in service mode? I did. Maybe that's the missing step?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just replaced my pads and the only thing I unplugged were the wear sensors. For the life of me I do not remember if I turned the car off when I went into service mode. I need to find the procedure example that I followed when I performed my maintenance. I would be interested in what steps were followed that lead to the unfortunate limp home mode/brake forever mode.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
420 Posts
I just replaced my pads and the only thing I unplugged were the wear sensors. For the life of me I do not remember if I turned the car off when I went into service mode. I need to find the procedure example that I followed when I performed my maintenance. I would be interested in what steps were followed that lead to the unfortunate limp home mode/brake forever mode.
One thing that seems to bring on the errors is pumping the brakes to seat the pads with the battery connected. The system seems to note a rapid movement of excessive fluid and thinks there is a leak and throws the codes.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts