Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport 2.0L Volcano Black Metallic/Red Int.
Hi all,
How about the following steps to avoid Christmas lights? Your comments are welcomed 馃榾

• Make sure auto parking brake is set to off. If it is on, turn it off, turn on and off the engine to make sure it is registered.
  • Turn on brake service mode
  • Disconnect the battery
  • Perform brake pad change WITHOUT removing the parking brake sensor
  • Connect the battery
  • Turn the ignition on (not the engine) Turn off the brake service mode. I am not sure what the system will show at this point鈥ould it remember that it was put on brake service mode before the battery removed??? I have no clue鈥nyone knows???
  • Turn the engine on and turn steering wheel all away right, hold for 2-3 seconds, turn left and hold for 2-3 seconds. This is the common procedure after battery disconnect and reconnect
I was wondering the same when debating on disconnecting the battery or not; I figured I would leave it connected due to fear that the system did not recognize the brake service mode without battery connected. The turning of the steering wheel believe only affects the steering angle sensor. All others that have done this to clear any codes "successfully", probably did not realize that it was not their method that cleared the codes, but the process of starting and restarting & then driving the car for a heat cycle or two. Just driving the car a few miles and shutting down will clear all codes after battery disconnect. I've tested this theory rigorously.

Registered
So I decided to foolishly change my brakes myself. It was an easy job in theory. However unknown to me..I was supposed to pull the battery. The car has a failsafe mode, where you only have one front and one rear brake working. I almost hit anything in front of me. There seems to be no brake fluid to support the system. I was then told in order to fix the issue, Alfa needed to clear the fault codes...and there were many...service brake system...service emergency brake..ESC fault...you name it. The car was unsafe to drive. I took it to my buddy who put his multiscan on it with no luck. He had to dig under the dash to find a 12 and 8 prong...and I may be wrong. It was way up on the driver's side wiring harness. He used a Chrysler clip and jut reset it from there. They really don't want you to do anything yourself. The dealership wanted 1200 bucks to do the job...0EM pads and rotors, the crazy thing I'd if I wanted to do it, they had no availability for 6 weeks. I purchased significantly superior products at 400.00 with 200 in labor. All I can say is do a battery pull and you shouldn't have an issue. If you do...contact me and I can guide you...as a result of my cluster ferk. Two days driving in the rain with faulty brakes isn't fun...the fact that Alfa at any price would not flash the ECU so I can drive safe...makes me sick. I'm done with FCA...my cars engine at 36k died. It needed a new motor...under warranty thank God, and they kept it for almost 4 months. I filed a civil lawsuit. It's just beyond real at this point. I'm sorry but FCA is going downhill. They don't care about their consumers. When it was Daimler they did. They gave me nothing for my trouble. Nothing at all.

I'm just sick of the grief. I should have bought a Ford. Anyone have a pinto for sale.
I'm in the exact same boat. Went to an independent mechanic. Changed the front brake pads without disconnecting the battery (rear were replaced a month ago with no issues). Now I'm almost going through stop signs when I brake. Husband is trying to find a solution. What do you mean by a 12 and 8 prong? Thank you!

Registered
I'm in the exact same boat. Went to an independent mechanic. Changed the front brake pads without disconnecting the battery (rear were replaced a month ago with no issues). Now I'm almost going through stop signs when I brake. Husband is trying to find a solution. What do you mean by a 12 and 8 prong? Thank you!
I would leave the battery on to avoid all the reset light coming on. But that's just me. Our front brakes are 4 pistons, 2 on each side. Rear one is just 2, one on each sides.

Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport 2.0L Volcano Black Metallic/Red Int.
At this point I believe leaving the battery connected/disconnected during the process does no harm either way. I'm leaning more towards a fluid movement/air in the system issue. When your rears were replaced, did you have any error codes that you know of that the independent shop had to clear? Also, the issue your experiencing now with poor brake performance; are there any dash lights present on the cluster?

I would leave the battery on to avoid all the reset light coming on. But that's just me. Our front brakes are 4 pistons, 2 on each side. Rear one is just 2, one on each sides.
That is correct for the front brakes, not the rears. The fronts have 4 pistons (2 each side), but the rears in fact have one single piston per caliper. The slide calipers use the slide pins to compress the other side when the one side with the piston is compressed.

Registered
At this point I believe leaving the battery connected/disconnected during the process does no harm either way. I'm leaning more towards a fluid movement/air in the system issue. When your rears were replaced, did you have any error codes that you know of that the independent shop had to clear? Also, the issue your experiencing now with poor brake performance; are there any dash lights present on the cluster?

That is correct for the front brakes, not the rears. The fronts have 4 pistons (2 each side), but the rears in fact have one single piston per caliper. The slide calipers use the slide pins to compress the other side when the one side with the piston is compressed.
Thank you for the correction. I think mine is due for a change soon since the rear pads were about half way worn. Not sure why the rear pads are wearing down faster than the front ones but will let you know ow how it goes

Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
If I remember correctly, there is a brake force distribution system in the modern cars, which suppose to distribute more force for the rear brakes, to don't dip the front of the car, in case of an emergency brake situation.
On the 08 VW Rabbit, 14 Mazda CX5 that I had previously, I only changed the rears, while I had them(~70k miles).

Registered
41 - 53 of 53 Posts