Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Stelvio's brakes seem variable in the amount of stopping force I get relative to how hard I push on the brake pedal. When the car is cold, the feel is good and the first few gentle stops are fine. After driving a while the brakes don't seem to give as much stopping power and I have to push harder on the pedal. Sometimes when I release the brake pedal the brakes seem to stay on a moment or two before releasing. One time on a fast left sweeper I braked, then let off the brake and on the gas, but the car kept slowing for a second or so. All of these signs are as if the brake calipers are dragging or not releasing promptly. So far I have no indication the problem is at just one wheel or all of them. Has anyone else had experiences like this?

·
Read Only
849 Posts
with this kind of problem my suggestion is, go to the dealer service asap, the brake system is a vital system, the car need a system scan to check if exist a brake module error on Continental IBS

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Agree with Marzio. If they- or the parking brake mechanism - were dragging, you would notice a huge loss in fuel economy (or at least noticeable). Also abnormal heat at one or more wheel disks when parking + odor from the pads.

You are describing three issues that should have routine resolution at the dealer: braking + battery (determined by production date- there was an issue with contaminated fluid in a very small few), and software reflash (improving the auto stop performance).

Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In 2700 miles average fuel economy is 23.9 MPUSG, worst tank was 18.7, and best 28.1, disappointing, but not outside the EPA label. I don't think the brakes are dragging all the time. They only seem to drag in the situations I described. Is the electric brake servo going to work differently hot versus cold?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dealer tech says all my seemingly unrelated issues with stop/start, lamp faults, and dragging brakes were due to a BCM connector not being fully seated. The connector has been seated. The battery did check good, but needed and got some charging.

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Dealer tech says all my seemingly unrelated issues with stop/start, lamp faults, and dragging brakes were due to a BCM connector not being fully seated. The connector has been seated. The battery did check good, but needed and got some charging.
The proof is in the pudding as they say. Hope all is well and you can look forward to many carefree miles ahead and not look back. Thanks for keeping all of us in the loop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to me 2018 Stelvio. When it's cold and I brake slowly, I get a grab right before coming to a stop. Anybody else get this or have any suggestions?

·
Registered
511 Posts
New to me 2018 Stelvio. When it's cold and I brake slowly, I get a grab right before coming to a stop. Anybody else get this or have any suggestions?
Hello Dshoem,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your recent concern. If you feel your vehicle is not operating as designed I would kindly suggest bringing this to the attention of your servicing dealer if you have not done so already. If you decide to go this route, please do not hesitate reaching out to us for additional assistance.
Laura
AlfaRomeoCares

1 - 8 of 8 Posts