Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Stelvio purchased July 2019 in Japan (so 2018 model globally?), is having a strange but easily noticeable vibration since purchase and has been in and out of the dealer's shop, most recently for a month now trying to fix the problem.

The car gets a vibration like going over those lines to help prevent slipping in a steep downhill.

We thought it was the front brakes warping, so they were replaced. That did improve the vibration in the front, but it was still clearly there, now more from the center of the car. It is not noticeable during local street driving under 50km/h, but braking from downhills and highway speeds, it becomes prominent.
The interesting thing about braking in highway speeds is that the vibration gets bigger as the speeds start to slow down.

Kudos to the dealer, all brake calipers, discs, pads, and slide pins were replaced, yet the problem persisted. The dealer is now assuming it may have something to do with the ABS system.

Since I could not find any similar problems mentioned here, is this a "one-off"? I really love this car and would love to get it back soon and start driving it again...

·
Read Only
849 Posts
no, the abs do not introduce any kind of vibrations.
strange that changing every parts of the braking system do not change anything.
another possibile issue can be localized in the bearings but I hope that a service can diagnose this.
very strange, first time for me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, the abs do not introduce any kind of vibrations.
strange that changing every parts of the braking system do not change anything.
another possibile issue can be localized in the bearings but I hope that a service can diagnose this.
very strange, first time for me
Thank you for your input.
The dealer is contacting Alfa Romeo Technical division directly about it, so I hope this gets resolved soon and would share it here for anyone who might encounter similar problems in the future.
The technician at the dealer also suggested the front back transfers and sideway gear differentials may also be the cause. But they are certain it is brake induced problem.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would try rotating the wheels (back to front and front to back) and see if the problem still persists. If not it could be something else like maybe suspension related?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your suggestion.
It turned out the dealer did not swap the rear brake sets to the new ones. They have now per the request from the HQ. Now it feels perfect.
I did not know the brakes work this well (relatively that is). I had a few moments where I almost crashed into a car in front. It feels like a brand new car now and I can step on the brakes with confidence.
So the cause was the corrosion on the rear inside discs, probably caused by sitting in the warehouse waiting for the order too long since it is not the most popular color and package (luxury package, Milano blue exterior with beige interior).
I would expect they would check this before delivery, but at least it is fixed now and can enjoy the car from here on!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Sat on lot and got a badly rusted area that caused pulsation I bet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts