Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will someone please explain to me the logic behind limiting the availability of Quadrofoglio vehicles in the US? It would seem to me to rebuild some brand recognition you would want as many of these amazing vehicles making their mark as possible. There must be 50 press vehicles making the rounds yet dealerships can order only 1 and hope for a few more. If I could get a Quad the way I wanted it built, it would already have been ordered but the order sheet is WAY too limiting at present.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I won't attempt to explain the logic, as I would have ordered a lusso/wood interior if I could have.

But as far as numbers available, they aren't limited, except by timing. There is an initial allotment, then more and more and, like the giulia quad, I'm sure there will be plenty around a year after introduction.

I do agree that AR's success in the USA market is absolutely tied to when they deliver my vehicle, and as they have not yet assigned a VIN to a Feb 8 order, that's not looking to good for me - and them.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Not trying to be funny, but I do not not think Alfa has any logic behind their business model.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I do think the order of model introductions was planned well for maximum press exposure, but the timing could have been improved.
For the US, to go from nothing for so many years to three models each with two distinct variations (count AWD in the giulia for one more if you want) ... that's more choices and a bigger line up than we have ever had here.

I won't say they are doing everything right, but they are doing a heck of a lot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would not lose sight of the fact that we are talking about a niche manufacturer who only has 3 production plants - and the Stelvio is only produced at one of those which has to serve the entire global market. Add to that the sudden attention of getting Motor Trend Car of the Year and all the recent favorable press - they could be experiencing growing pains from all this new found attention.
That all aside - this is an Italian run business which is a completely different animal altogether - I own a Ducati and found some of the ways they do business to be completely without logic as well.
For many of us - car and motorcycle purchases are partly an emotional choice, so I am willing to accept any challenges in exchange for the sheer joy of driving and the exclusivity.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
I agree with lost. That said, the unit is a halo vehicle, intended to add awareness, excitement, and definition to the brand. Engines and unique components sourced from Ferrari likely have limited production (and bad margins, even at the higher price point). Also limited availability adds to the exclusive and exciting nature and also assures a high price point- pure economics.

The ultimate goal is (in my projection) is to sell more pedestrian Stelvios with volume efficiency, add definition and emotion to the brand, and increase market penetration vs. established competitors.

Timing is very difficult given the complexity of all of the forces involved (government, design, parts, marketing, vendor supply, quality, exclusivity, transit, distribution, service + support, insurance, certification, etc.), any one of which a problem grinds the process to a halt.

Remember: This is all a clean sheet design. These things don't just fall from the sky because on the consumer side things look (deceptively) so easy and the tech is so often taken for granted.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Not sure about the US, but I’m told we have at least two Stelvio Quads currently on order.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
there are over 230 built for the US (or perhaps NAFTA market) waiting to ship.

and there are plenty of giulia quads available at dealers - these may be halo cars but Alfa has no intention or desire to limit production, they will make as many as they can sell.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
In an effort to monitor freighter traffic @ the Port of Baltimore, we will venture down to Chesapeake City and scarf down a delightful seafood dinner and Mojitos to advise of any passage. You're welcome! (Pic is granddaughter scoping Alfas before they were on our radar).

Attachments

Reactions: lost1750GTV
1 - 11 of 11 Posts