Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question answered. After decades of Audi's Quattro, I have been concerned about my Stelvio Quadrifoglio's performance in the snow. Well, yesterday I was caught in over 100 miles of heavy snow and sleet. My Alfa, with four Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires, behaved flawlessly. While the torque redistribution is not as seamless as Audi's, everything else about the traction, stability, and transitional behavior is actually better in the Q4 Alfa system! The Stelvio QV's flexibility is absolutely amazing. It goes from Ferrari-esque performance on dry pavement in either "D" or "Ripped!" mode, to a Sno-Cat in "A" mode in a blizzard.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Went to the movies last night while most where a bit scared, I couldn't wait to give it a go in the snow. I have 235/55/19 Sumitoto ice edge as a winter set up 20s for summer. Wow!! Last year I had a Ram Crew Cab with winter rated tires and before that a Wrangler Unlimited. The Stelvio is Wayyy better at the traction control thing. In "A" it was hard to get it to under steer or over steer. In "D" it was much more fun. I was impressed!! Got a few more inches here in upstate NY last night, should be fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Drove 300 miles in heavy weather, solid snow on the road for at least 200 and wet pavement/slush/snow for the rest, not much ice, from NJ up to Albany and across Mass Pike to Boston last night. Lots of cars off the road. Very happy with all aspects of acceleration, braking, lane changes, cornering, etc. @ fast but same speeds for conditions. 235/55-19 Nokia’s Hakapellita R3 with 1500 miles so nearly full tread depth.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Drove 300 miles in heavy weather, solid snow on the road for at least 200 and wet pavement/slush/snow for the rest, not much ice, from NJ up to Albany and across Mass Pike to Boston last night. Lots of cars off the road. Very happy with all aspects of acceleration, braking, lane changes, cornering, etc. @ fast but same speeds for conditions. 235/55-19 Nokia’s Hakapellita R3 with 1500 miles so nearly full tread depth.
You are brave to drive in that last night in that mess! Other parts of the country don't really understand how treacherous the roads get here in the Northeast.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In only limited driving, I haven't found the Scorpions to be THAT amazing. They don't inspire extreme confidence when turning even somewhat faster (by no means fast) in a bit of slush or ice. I do admit I may be expecting unrealistic results and other tires might not do any better.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In only limited driving, I haven't found the Scorpions to be THAT amazing. They don't inspire extreme confidence when turning even somewhat faster (by no means fast) in a bit of slush or ice. I do admit I may be expecting unrealistic results and other tires might not do any better.
I am past fast turns in a blizzard. When I'm at Tim O'Neill Rally School in the White Mountains in January, I rally on the edge in the ice. When I am driving in a blizzard with my wife in the passenger seat, I just want to arrive in one piece without additional drama. "A" mode on the Thruway, good snow tires, gentle driver inputs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
@harvest well maybe not so brave...I did want to see how the car would do in really heavy conditions with the R3’s although I did not anticipate how truly awful the storm would be. I would avoid that trip next time. Only thing not really tested was hard pack ice.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
It isnt that simple Lost....

"A" actually allows more slip than either "N" or "D". It takes being more aggressive with the throttle, but it is there. Either of the other modes won't really let you use wheel spin to gain momentum.."A" will. Inow it seems counter-intuitive that the "safest" most "boring" drive mode will let you have the most fun in slippery conditions, but it will.

Spent alot of time playing with all 3 in the dirt/sand...more fun to be had in "D", once the going get rough...and you have enough room to gaIn momentum,which "A" allows...you gotta get on the gas and let the car know what you want, which given the way the throttle functions in "A" feels.like alot of gas..basically floored probably...the "nannies" handle ot beautifully while also allowing a scary amount of fun.

..again you need room, wouldn't suggest doing 50 in the snow on a rural road. Be safe.

·
Registered
159 Posts
@Young dude I guess the writer scorpions are a winter performance tire. Not really the same as the R3 that I have. Only really comparable tires are x-ice or the blizzaks. I chose winter traction over dry performance and speed rating. I do find the R3 to have acceptable dry handling for a true ice and snow winter tire. Always a compromise when choosing tires, right? And I am running 235. All good, didn’t even notice that my Ti has an open rear diff, not LSD.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Question answered. After decades of Audi's Quattro, I have been concerned about my Stelvio Quadrifoglio's performance in the snow. Well, yesterday I was caught in over 100 miles of heavy snow and sleet. My Alfa, with four Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires, behaved flawlessly. While the torque redistribution is not as seamless as Audi's, everything else about the traction, stability, and transitional behavior is actually better in the Q4 Alfa system! The Stelvio QV's flexibility is absolutely amazing. It goes from Ferrari-esque performance on dry pavement in either "D" or "Ripped!" mode, to a Sno-Cat in "A" mode in a blizzard.
I just got Pirelli Scorpion Winters put on my car last week, with nitrogen. I haven't ventured out just yet. Seems like you drove right past Exit 19, where I live (and where I have license plate EX1T 19 on my Stelvio).

I'm hoping that these tires, along with driving in A mode are as good as I'm hoping. I really don't like doing 80 or even 70 in cold, rainy/snowy conditions. I should attend winter driving school.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
"Spent alot of time playing with all 3 "
I'll admit to trying A mode once so I could tell my wife it was really, uuuh, intrusive if she found herself in truly terrible icy/slick conditions.
but for "most fun in slippery conditions", I have to disagree. D is much better, and R for those who've got it.
the mode demo posted last winter pretty much said it all.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I’m in a very similar boat, decade over time in various S audi’s, have been worried. I bought the same winter set up as you, really relieved to hear it seems to be so solid! Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got Pirelli Scorpion Winters put on my car last week, with nitrogen. I haven't ventured out just yet. Seems like you drove right past Exit 19, where I live (and where I have license plate EX1T 19 on my Stelvio).

I'm hoping that these tires, along with driving in A mode are as good as I'm hoping. I really don't like doing 80 or even 70 in cold, rainy/snowy conditions. I should attend winter driving school.
@WoodstockDude Yes indeed! Drove (flew?) by your exit in heavy snow, past which (somewhere in Orange County) the snow transitioned to horizontal sleet.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Young dude I guess the writer scorpions are a winter performance tire. Not really the same as the R3 that I have. Only really comparable tires are x-ice or the blizzaks. I chose winter traction over dry performance and speed rating. I do find the R3 to have acceptable dry handling for a true ice and snow winter tire. Always a compromise when choosing tires, right? And I am running 235. All good, didn’t even notice that my Ti has an open rear diff, not LSD.
As I understand it, the Pirelli Scorpion Winters are one of only two brands available in the stock standard 255/40/20 X 285/45/20 Stelvio Quadrifoglio staggered sizes, which is what I wanted.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"Spent alot of time playing with all 3 "
I'll admit to trying A mode once so I could tell my wife it was really, uuuh, intrusive if she found herself in truly terrible icy/slick conditions.
but for "most fun in slippery conditions", I have to disagree. D is much better, and R for those who've got it.
the mode demo posted last winter pretty much said it all.
I guess we're talking about two different streams here. You're talking about "most fun in the snow," such as can be had in a parking lot (the mode demo) or a closed track or an ice rally. I'm talking about driving hundreds of miles in a snowstorm with family in tow, trying to get from point A to point B safely, securely, and without drama, on public highways and interstates filled with frightened, unskilled drivers.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts