Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm a new member of the forum, wasn't sure where to post my questions..
I had a test drive of a first edition Stelvio two days ago, and I can't stop thinking about the car...
I'm married and we have a toddler, I took the Stelvio for a whole day to test a few scenarios with the family, alone :)-D) and in traffic.
As a driving experience I enjoyed every little bit of it! It's the most amazing SUV I have ever driven.
At first I was a bit annoyed by what seemed like a turbine lag (??) but after 30mins of driving I got the hang of it.
I have never owned an Alfa, but was fascinated with them since I was a kid - I drove a few (AlfaSud, 33, 75, 164) and always had a warm spot for Alfa in my heart so to say..

The test drive car was at 300km only, it is breathtaking.

It's quite an expensive car, and here the "competitors" are almost at the same price as they provide HUGE discounts (e.g. Q5, X3)
I am also comparing to my older car (2012 Kia Sportage) - e.g. the audio system..

Would like to hear owners and see if they have the same observations, or maybe it's a local issue in cars deliverd to Bulgaria?
I have sat in a Giulia Veloce on display, and can definitely say it feels different inside... Which is strange.

- The interior finish of a few parts was concerning and very different from the Giulia
- The plastic feel on the door, right below the upper rubber part.
- The wooden insert below the multimedia system on the left was wobbly.
- The roof padding next to the plastic handles was flimsy, and pressing on it shows that it's hanging on only a few points in the roof.
- The padding of the column next to me was flimsy also and I can "peel" it off with my finger.

- The default sound system is the 10 speaker one, and the Harman Kardon one cannot be added to the First Edition in Bulgaria
- The sound coming out was quite metallic, with a certain cut-off at around 70% volume.
- Tried playing with the equalizer didn't manage to fix it.
- Unsure if this is a bluetooth issue, since I was streaming off spotify

- I cannot order the other seats when taking the First Edition
- Stitches in the leather on my seat seems not aligned, as if the leather is not a fit for the padding of the seat.
- The lumbar support was a mystery to operate, but probably cause I didn't understand.

- Exhaust nickel extensions
- They are welded to the internal exhaust only at one point, which in my opinion will break if I "push" them a bit on a sidewalk.

- External noise when parking or in slow traffic - this is not a priority to me at all.
- I couldn't help but notice that I can hear cars driving next to me. Noise isolation seemed a bit off.

As a summary, I felt a connection to the car, and emotionally it was amazing to drive, I am a bit concerned of how most of the things above will look in a couple of years.

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Most manufacturers will look at forums like this to get a better feel of what the customer is looking for and if Alfa is smart it will follow suit. You have made some good observations but i think there are slight differences between products offered in Europe and in the US or any other market for that matter. Like the sound isolation is not something i noticed as a problem in my test drive. Also I'm guessing to some extent Alfa wants you to hear your own exhaust noise to add to the thrill of driving but unfortunately it will make the car not as quiet as a Lexus.

My one complaint was that every time i tried to get out of the car my calf would rub on the side of the car. At first it was nothing but then I noticed i cant get out without rubbing my calf unless i am really paying attention. I don't know how i would feel about this in 6 months or two years. I mean if you have a slightly dirty car this would be very annoying to have to constantly check the back of your pants leg to see if you are marked up or not. I think ladies especially, would be annoyed. Didn't check exiting the passenger side or the back seats but i assume it would be the same.

Also need to remember that it is the first Gen.

·
Read Only
849 Posts
Stelvio 1° edition, my car, now with 10000km.
In many parts of your evidence list I see only a demo car description.
Seat, roof, wooden, padding ecc this issues on my car do not exist.
The general quality is superior of giulia.
The sound theatre with center speaker is a very economical way to reproduce sound but with no more of 500 euros I'll try to fix it, the speakers are very ...... blahhhh
The frame around the exhaust are fixed on the body and the plastic back of bumper, no connection with the exhaust pipe.
Sound proofing on my car is really good.
Your test car was a little bit iperused.
Try another car

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the feedback, the part with the calfs is important here due to muddy winters, so I guess you should train how to hop off the car instead of sliding.

I later looked at other first edition cars in the dealership, noticed that welding of the exhaust tip is different between cars. My guess during the manufacturing of the first edition they found better ways or different ways to do things.

Negotiated an offer from the dealership for a first edition yesterday, with the sunroof and 4 rims and winter tires, unfortunately it's quite expensive - 55k euros. (Instead of 60)

For comparison , this price is 5k higher than a loaded X3 (with the 2liter 250hp) engine.

If they don't provide a better offer, I'll wait till first edition is sold out, and order my own Stelvio..

·
Read Only
849 Posts
you can not compare the stelvio with the x3 are obviously competitors but belong to two ways of living the car in a different way.
Stelvio have a sporty soul, x3 is a SUV only

Good price with your extras could be 53.000 euros, not less

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed.
I was just mentioning the X3 because I know their prices.

I'm totally in love with the Stelvio...
But getting it with a color different than what I want, with no android auto and with no adaptive cruise control is too much compromise for the price the dealership here is asking.. ? if I could have bargained for sub-50k I would have ordered.

Btw I see that the Stelvio is with a really cheaper list price in US configurator...

·
Read Only
849 Posts
Agreed.
I was just mentioning the X3 because I know their prices.

I'm totally in love with the Stelvio...
But getting it with a color different than what I want, with no android auto and with no adaptive cruise control is too much compromise for the price the dealership here is asking.. ? if I could have bargained for sub-50k I would have ordered.

Btw I see that the Stelvio is with a really cheaper list price in US configurator...
Yes, us market is cheaper

·
Registered
508 Posts
I was not impressed with the sound system and opted to drive a car with the Harmon Kardon system. Although much better it was still a little too factory for me. Does anyone know if simply changing the speakers will help?
Also, how does one upgrade a stereo system that is integrated into everything?
Any opinions?

·
Read Only
849 Posts
I was not impressed with the sound system and opted to drive a car with the Harmon Kardon system. Although much better it was still a little too factory for me. Does anyone know if simply changing the speakers will help?
Also, how does one upgrade a stereo system that is integrated into everything?
Any opinions?

My 1° step will be change the front and the center speakers

·
Registered
508 Posts
My 1° step will be change the front and the center speakers
Here in the US the HK system is a $900 option.
So you suggest going with the base audio system (10 speakers) and then upgrading!
Do you have any brand of speaker in mind? If you test the power levels on the audio please post it. You know all the relevant amps, volts, Hz, etc.
Thanks

·
Read Only
849 Posts
The base in Italy is 8 speakers without sub

The 10 speakers is theatre kit and is standard only for the 1° edition

Audison or hertz speakers but I need to open the doors and the cockpit to check the volume

1 - 11 of 11 Posts