Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Hopefully just a quick question. When I push my Stelvio - not even too hard but just getting the turbo going a bit, in D mode and use paddle shifters, I’ll park back in my garage and turn off the engine. Immediately upon getting out the fan stays on for about 30 seconds and then I get a pretty good amount of burning rubber smell. This isn’t from the tires, they’re only just warm but rather clearly from under the hood. My question - is this normal or should I be concerned? Yes I did have the catalytic converter update recall done. Do your Stelvios do the same? (I have ti sport 280hp version).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Try running your windshield washer. If you smell something coming thru your vents then you might have the same issue I have that got fixed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did have heater on (low setting) but don’t think it’s related to that. It happens consistently when I enjoy some spirited driving. No fumes in the car, just smell and heat from under hood when I get out and fills up enclosed garage with the burning rubber odor pretty quickly. Not terribly but enough for my wife to be concerned. I’m going to assume it’s fine but wanted the validation from you guys!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I did have heater on (low setting) but don’t think it’s related to that. It happens consistently when I enjoy some spirited driving. No fumes in the car, just smell and heat from under hood when I get out and fills up enclosed garage with the burning rubber odor pretty quickly. Not terribly but enough for my wife to be concerned. I’m going to assume it’s fine but wanted the validation from you guys!
Some have this issue on the Giulia side and it seems to be the following: Burning coolent smell is because of turbo coolent line leak, need to replace turbo cooling line seals.

It's a hard job to have the dealer do it (costly) but doesn't hurt for you to have them validate it. If they validate it, then you can pressure them to fix it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the same problem -

I found the source of the smell - it turned out that the fault was the wiring loom running next to the gearbox at the height of the place where the screw is screwed in to unlock the towing gearbox. It just clung to the gearbox housing and it was all melting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
the problem still exists. further there is a burning smell when accelerating. I thought it was exhaled but no. This bothers me and the service is spreading its hands.
I suspect that it slips because of the high torque.
the worst thing is that this smell is only in the cabin. Do not make it outside or under the hood.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
36 Posts
The HVAC system draws it's fresh air from the base/bottom of the windshield on the passenger side...

Inspect your engine compartment with an emphasis on the passenger side for the causes of "burning smells" such as plastic/engine oil/coolant.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Ok, so you had an issue with a wiring loom by the gearbox right?

Very possible something downstream of that was also damaged. Could be the tranny computer needs to be refreshed because something got corrupted, or a part needs to be replaced.

A dealer should see what that loom is connected to and start testing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The wiring harness has been fully checked - no damage. There are no errors in the software, the soft gearbox and other components are up to date.
Today I did another test - all day driving around 200 km only in dynamic mode and intensive driving, changing gears with paddles, often over 200 km / h - no odors.

·
Registered
21 Posts
the smell is like melted plastic.
Service took an oil sample from the box - perfectly clean, no suspect odor.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Melting plastic smell is probably electrical wiring insulation.

Possible the melting is happening on a small enough level it smells for a while before it is visible.

Have all the fuses and relays been checked? Could be one failed.

Ground continuity should be checked too. Could be a bad ground is causing a surge.

Also all electrical connections should be checked for looseness. Not tested, actually physically checked. Which is a lot of labor....

·
Registered
21 Posts
all fuse boxes, relays, connection cubes have been checked. for days I will check the fan area in the aisle under the dashboard, but I need time to remove the glove box in front of the passenger

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Dealer needs to check it not you...even if you are a trained tech with 50 years experience. Contact Alfa care, go to the dealer. Sorry but that is the truth. They have resources you do not. Resources that are needed for diagnosis. Call Alfacare, have the dealer check this forum and follow some of the suggestions, lots of other people have had great success in having their problems solved.

Otherwise, good luck, have fun. Check everything, everywhere. Take it all apart till you find something. Might have to do it a couple times if the issue hasn't developed enough to create a visible issue.

Sorry if I seem short, having issues where my keyboard is disappearing everytime I hit enter or delete a character, only here for some reason. Makes typing nearly impossible...overly tedious for sure.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
36 Posts
@Dareek

Just suggesting this since this costs nothing - pull and inspect your cabin air filter.

Visually inspect as well as get your nose in it.

Your problem might be simple ;-)

Report back!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven't had time to deal with the topic yet. A colleague in Giulia has a similar problem - it may not be important, but both cars come from the US market.
Suspicion fell on two more elements - either the air supply fan resistor or the front differential.
Maybe the US market is flooded with another oil that does not withstand the faster jealousy in Europe - I have 41,000 km and I am going to change the oils in the front rear differential and differential during the 45,000 km inspection.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts