Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove the 2020 Stelvio AWD. I am torn between lease vs buy. Lease because nervous about the long term reliability. Buy because there are amazing incentives right now (6/20). Any advice would be appreciated. We usually keep our cars 8 years minimum. This would be my first lease in 25 years.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I keep my cars 6 to 12 years and have never even considered leasing. Nor did I worry about reliability before buying my 2019 Stelvio. Most of us enjoy trouble-free driving. A few have serious troubles. Lemon laws are meant for the latter group. Open roads for the former group of which I'm a happy member.

The people with problems are likely to post here because they need advice. And this is the place to get good advice for Stelvios.

For the most part, people in the trouble-free group aren't going to be bothering to post about another day/week/month/year of fun driving with no problems.

So counting trouble posts vs. no problem posts in this or any car forum isn't a reliable guide to a car's reliability.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Our dealership is offering $5-6k off the MSRP for purchase. Haven’t started negotiations yet
You can likely get double that off with firm negotiation (best if you have two competing dealers in your area and you let them know you are willing to walk out). Seems in your case buying is the best option. I have never leased in 38 years of car buying. Some have mastered the process and get killer deals. I don't like the loss of control of my $$ and driving freedom, especially at vehicle turn in---damage inspection and stingy miles per year limits with steep penalty fees that can add up fast if you are not careful. But if you intend to keep the car a long time, seems buying is the better option.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, with a lease you can buy your vehicle at end of term as well, often at a price that is extremely competitive to the market at the time. Except that with a lease you are not paying full amount of sales tax up front like you are with a purchase. So with a modest investment return on those tax savings, you will most likely come out ahead with a lease. Not to mention tax write-off possibilities, which saves you even more.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Try going through a broker. I thought I had a pretty good lease deal until my neighbor also got an Alfa (same model) except he went through a broker. He said his lease deal was about $20/mo. less than mine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you don't have the ability to write off the lease payment against business income, it's a mugs deal. It's just expensive car rental.
You can get unbelievable deals right now if buying. At least 10K off if you play hardball. We bought both our 2018 Stelvio and 2019 Giulia and got smoking deals on both of them.
Thank goodness, other than recalls and annual oil change the cars have had no reason to visit the dealer shop. Both cars are running exactly as we hoped - perfectly!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, but... believe it or not, even better incentives to lease right now. I negotiated a purchase on my 19 Stelvio QV, then switched to a lease.

Although it is a 2019, so maybe the incentive are not as good for a 2020 (I did my deal 2 weeks ago).

·
Registered
73 Posts
I‘ve leased most of the vehicles I’ve driven over the past 25 years, it simply works better for me. It’s just another way to buy a vehicle - and since life is about experiences, leasing allows me to drive many different vehicles for much low monthly payments with no worry about resale prices and trade-in when I want to unload. By all means look at third-party leasing, but I was never able to match the overall leasing deal I could negotiate from FCA, GM, BMW or Infiniti. The following is worth a read.

I agree with your reasons for leasing and feel the same way. I mostly lease, but if I really like the car, I do an end lease purchase. True, not the most economical way to finance your daily commuter, but for car people like us, it's as you say in your post. Nevertheless, I disagree with the linked article. Third party leasing companies often have special arrangements with auto dealers that allow them to give their customers a better deal than they get from walking in to a dealer in which you are one on one..... advantage dealer. The third party company often knows the special mathematics that make up a lease and allows them to make a profit while giving you a better deal. They also help dealers move cars off the lot which is a big plus for dealers. In fact, leasing companies have been under fire for undercutting dealers too much and, believe it or not, have been pushing for legislation to make it tougher for leasing companies to operate. Full disclosure: I don't work for a leasing company and have never used one on any of my leases. However, for my next lease, I'm definitely going to check them out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What Wassei1 wrote is true in my experience, but I have also found that leasing companies do not have great experience with Alfa Romeo yet (even though it is an FCA brand). The ones I talked to could get great deals on Bimmers or Lexus, less so for Mercedes, and hardly any 'deals' for Porsche. For Alfa they were not as helpful. (2 I tried in Florida)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Residual values, and things like KBB values highly support leasing. I’m paying roughly $17k all in for my 36 month lease, which at the end of the lease will have 45k miles and be 4 years old. That’s a steal, and something I couldn’t make up buying and selling unless I got 15k (30% off) off my sticker - I got a Ti for reference.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I'd buy it. You then control your destiny. Amazing vehicle that continues to grow on me 2 yrs+ in to ownership. Becoming an all time favorite and I've had 30+ vehicles.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
As I said, I had never considered leasing. But now that I've thought more about it I wonder what it would be like to have a car that I don't really own. What happens with a leased vehicle if I want to modify it in some way?

·
Registered
205 Posts
As I said, I had never considered leasing. But now that I've thought more about it I wonder what it would be like to have a car that I don't really own. What happens with a leased vehicle if I want to modify it in some way?
Depends on the mod, but in most cases you would have to restore it to OEM spec at turn in or pay some ungodly fee to have the dealer do it (leasing company third party vendor, rather).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Residual values, and things like KBB values highly support leasing. I’m paying roughly $17k all in for my 36 month lease, which at the end of the lease will have 45k miles and be 4 years old. That’s a steal, and something I couldn’t make up buying and selling unless I got 15k (30% off) off my sticker - I got a Ti for reference.
Residual values are independent of leasing vs. buying. You can do well or torpedo yourself financially either way depending on your nego skills-----it's a wash, really. There are price floors whether buying or leasing below which dealers and lease companies will not go (with very few exceptions)---unless they actually like the notion of business suicide. Your all in cost of 17K is gonna be higher if you rack up 45k miles in a 36-mo lease. At stingy 10-12k miles per year and .20/mile penalty, you need to add $1.8 to 3k more to your cost. Plus, you did not mention the potential for excess wear and tear/damage fees derived from a process you won't control and have no say in---could be hundreds (or more?). As an earlier poster said well---it's really just car rental. Either way you go, your gonna pay for depreciation. If you didn't, then the lease company is upside down. Lease companies that actually exist and survive in this market are still there b/c they are not upside down. Sometimes they overwrite residuals, but from what I have read anyway, they tend to hedge--knowing this may happen. So to me, from a financial perspective, they are about the same. It's the loss of control with a lease (miles, mods, early termination fee if I want out to get a diff car, etc...) that keeps me in the "buy" basket.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Unless youre paying cash (which is financially crazy imo) youre renting the car either way.

Just figure the numbers. Im in my stelvio for $399 per month sign and drive. Not a dime out of pocket so then i calculate im paying for a total of $14,364 worth of depreciation over the course of three years.

I figured there's no way in hell im going to beat that buying the car. More than likely itll be around 20 grand in depreciation or more over 3 years purchasing it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Buying is not car rental; it's actual ownership, which, independent of cost, has unique advantages. You surrender tons of control with a lease--or renting--(driving freedom--mileage, mods, difficulty getting out early, and extra back end costs I mention above). Obviously, many have no problem losing this control, cool. Not for me. You may get a killer deal on a lease, but you can buying as well (check out some of the other threads on this site). Like I said, from a financial perspective IMO, it is structurally pretty much a wash. The variables are your indiv nego skills and market timing. The real "no way in hell" is the notion that lease companies are going to structurally write leases that put them out of business because they are consistently so stupid to over estimate residuals again and again to the point they never make a profit. Not happening, for long anyway--this is what they do as their profession, unless of course they go out of business for being that stupid. It's just math, and surviving lease companies know how this works better than any of us.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You dont always get good lease deals sure. Then it makes no sense.

I go for lease hacks which the giulia and stelvio are.

The lease incentives are outstanding and looking at 2018 stelvios selling for 25 grand right now id say leasing is likely to save me 7 grand on the conservative estimate side and 12 grand on the likely side.

I have a c8 Corvette being built and that im buying. I plan to drive it for 6 months and sell it for a bit over what i paid.

Leases only work for some cars at some times. Example some may recall the fiat 500e that due to incentives leased out for $70 per month in non California type states and in California was actually free after state rebates were added... free.

So sometimes it works sometimes not.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts