Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
None of the things you mentioned are anything similar to what I was talking about. If you can't see the difference between a judge, or IRS hearing..and buying, selling, or trading a leased car, or the need to not mentally defeat oneself regardless of the odds for, or against...ok. Sure.

As far as the wear and tear Inspector..again why would you ever even meet that person? Still haven't answered that.

Again, realize alot of people do..part of why people make these arguments about leasing..is to educate other people that, you don't. Really, you don't, lots of other options. Turning the car in at the end being the worst.

As for the superiority of purchasing over anything, particularly paying cash...ok. Others disagree, plenty of people have laid out various senarios that explain why purchasing outright may not be best in all circumstances.....but you can be right.

Honestly dont care. Not the point.

Most people cannot pay cash.

Leasing can be a great way to drive a great car affordably, while also being able to keep cash for investments that can make it so eventually you can buy a car for cash, without wiping out your savings. Just do your research and have a plan, not just for how you acquire the lease, but also how you will terminate it.

And if you choose to lease there is no reason to feel inferior to anyone else.

·
Registered
201 Posts
They were your words, bro, not mine. So own them. I suppose leverage (a version of control) is real everywhere but in the car business, where it is "perception" as you said. Yeah right. My analogies simply illustrated the bankruptcy of your statement. I've never sold cars, but have been on the other end many times and in my car world, leverage is very real, and can be costly if I'm not careful. Pretty sure the same is true for other car buyers/lesees.

"As far as the wear and tear Inspector..again why would you ever even meet that person? Still haven't answered that." I did address this. Read post 83. And I agree with you, I would not want to meet that person either.

As for the rest, we've long killed the cost debate and agree buy vs. lease can be advantageous over the other depending on personal knowledge, nego skills, and market timing. The last, dunno, 5 or so posts from me were focused on control and my assertion that owners simply have more of it than lesees. Is this not also helping to "educate" as you invoke above? If anything I said were possibly true about control, would you really not want others to know simply b/c is does not conform to your views? You added your counter-points, some I agreed with. Among all of us in this long-a** conversation about buying vs. leasing with all diff views, don't you think the sum is a pretty diverse mound of great info for the eyeballs that follow this thread? Or do you think you were the only one educating and the rest of us are just party poopers?

Am now tired of repeating this: I'm not knocking leasing; it works well for many. Cash buying is not, on its face, better than leasing (as you imply I meant above) at all from a financial perspective---did you hear that? You and Bhvrdr got killer leases and I already congratulated you. I simply maintain that, overall cost aside (which can go either way), owners have more control of time and events than lessees. This may or may not save them money, but it will likely save some headache and will likely reduce the overall complexity of the process for them---if you are a lessee right now, in your desk is a large lease contract with tons of stipulations and limits. In my desk, I have a title with my name on it, no stipulations and limits. Cost aside, some people value more control of processes for its own sake.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Forget deals. Take 2 new identical cars on the lot. New inventory (30days or less) in demand. The accountant will buy it with as short a note as possible unless its 0%,which means you use the OPM as long as possible. Unless for business, few will lease. What do they know??

In the end, pretty much every car I own eventually gets modified and I certainly don't want to waste my time (and therefore money) undoing stuff before I turn in a lease. Seen as the stuff I do invariably enhances the product, I give full disclosure at trade in along with my personal service records in with the manual so some dumb dealers don't discard it.
I do agree with TDW that control is real. Such as being tossed the keys to anything on the lot to go drive etc.

Lots of good stuff in this thread if you take time to view both sides.

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Good point. My accountant gets his BMW's through a connection that goes to auction. But when he does BUY, its 36 months max.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Fiat, I just don't get it. Especially the retro pastel-colored ones. They must have had a plan. Thought I read somewhere that these particular Fiats would be attractive to nostalgic Italian customers. Sad, slow death in America for them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Any interest rate below 3% is practically “free” right now. Put inflation into the equation and even short term capital gains on profits earned from reinvesting money conservatively and you should take the banks (or leasing company’s) money every time.

When you start to think like that, you see how debt can be your friend under certain circumstances - and right now is absolutely one of those times.

You can definitely get an equivalent rate on a lease (money factor) below 3% right now. On a new car loan, I’m not so sure, but it may be possible.

101 - 107 of 107 Posts