Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and came up with nothing on this topic (except the one showing the ice dancing video).

So is it true that we can't turn off the traction control in the Stelvio? For the video, I assume they pulled a fuse of some sort.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I did a search and came up with nothing on this topic (except the one showing the ice dancing video).

So is it true that we can't turn off the traction control in the Stelvio? For the video, I assume they pulled a fuse of some sort.
Yes. No way to turn it off via a switch or via infotainment system. Now, is there some form of hack to disable it? That I don't know and I would not try for my Stelvio.

·
Read Only
849 Posts
the module to disable is the vcd or esc or esp that is of course connected with traction control.
the way to disable it exist, via cables cut or via battery workaround but my suggestion is don't touch anything and wait.
for next future new models and via retrofit the old models will have the esc off function.

every modification in wiring, cables, modules etc can delete warranty.

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
This is correct as noted in a number of reviews- you cannot disable it in the current design.

jm2: The only reason would be what we affectionately refer to as 'HOONING' - (from the Urban Dictionary: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hooning LOL) - but the only practical reason would be mud/sand/extreme off road (Stelvio is not designed for that anyway) where a traditional 4X4 vehicle would be the right choice.

The issue, as I understand it, is that the brakes are part of the traction control system so the braking action can have a negative affect in certain circumstances (other than hooning of course).

The noun version of the word would be 'HOON' - no reflection on our dear friend Marzio!

Reactions: harvest

·
Registered
45 Posts
Why do you want to disable it?
For performance driving, ESC is a detriment and if you ever take your car on a road course, you will not be pleased as the ESC will slow the car down when you most want it to put power to the road.

Also, driving on snowy or slick roads, a skilled driver will prefer not to have ESC as he / she will want the ability to steer with the throttle, something ESC does not allow.

There IS a 'secret' method to disable the Stelvio's ESC without cutting wires but it's fairly cumbersome and it affects other functions of the car. And when the car is shut off, the ESC disable is deleted so if you want to disable it again, you'd have to go through the whole process again.

It would be wonderful for Alfa to provide an update with a switch of some sort or a simple electronic command to switch off the ESC. For sporty, performance-oriented cars, the Giulia and the Stelvio really need this update.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I actually felt that for the first time riding deals gap yesterday (it's 11 miles with around 300 turns so it's very tight)

For performance driving, ESC is a detriment and if you ever take your car on a road course, you will not be pleased as the ESC will slow the car down when you most want it to put power to the road.

Also, driving on snowy or slick roads, a skilled driver will prefer not to have ESC as he / she will want the ability to steer with the throttle, something ESC does not allow.

There IS a 'secret' method to disable the Stelvio's ESC without cutting wires but it's fairly cumbersome and it affects other functions of the car. And when the car is shut off, the ESC disable is deleted so if you want to disable it again, you'd have to go through the whole process again.

It would be wonderful for Alfa to provide an update with a switch of some sort or a simple electronic command to switch off the ESC. For sporty, performance-oriented cars, the Giulia and the Stelvio really need this update.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
sadly a very expensive option right now, but it does include some other extras.

aside from wonderful, I think it is necessary for Alfas success to have an off switch.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Not sure I agree.....for most of us that are not trying to "drift" out of turns. I love the confidence I have with the Q4 system. Does the Giulia AWD have such an option?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
the giulia and stelvio are the same in this respect - if you want the 4th mode, you pay for it, and get a v6 tossed in, and some other stuff.
it would cost nothing to have this in all vehicles, and for those that don't need/want the 4th mode, they wouldn't have to use it, ever.
it's just bad marketing to sell a "drivers car", and not allow someone to switch to drivers mode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello guys. I planning to get an second hand stelvio 2017, 180ph diesel and would like to have your guidance. On the rear of the car there is the logo of Q4 but the owner isn't quite aur if the car is Q4 or Q2. My question is there any simple way to distinguish both model without having to ask the resaler? Many thanks guys .

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hello guys. I planning to get an second hand stelvio 2017, 180ph diesel and would like to have your guidance. On the rear of the car there is the logo of Q4 but the owner isn't quite aur if the car is Q4 or Q2. My question is there any simple way to distinguish both model without having to ask the resaler? Many thanks guys .
Stelvio was available with Q4 only until next MY. So it’s guaranteed to be a Q4 AWD Model.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thks brother. I hope it's a q4 the one I'm trying to get. I'm wondering if I can know it by check-in the mechanical stuff if the car.

·
Registered
478 Posts
A 2017 is guaranteed to be a Q4 because the RWD/Q2 Model won’t exist until at least October this year. You should be able to verify by looking for a center differential pack.

Or start it up and flip the DNA setting. The on screen graphic is different for a Q2 Giulia and doesn’t show the front diff. I’d expect the same with Stelvio once it’s available.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Stelvio was available with Q4 only until next MY. So it’s guaranteed to be a Q4 AWD Model.
This isn't correct. In Europe, we have a 180hp version with RWD only since launch. The post doesn't state location.

I would suggest that if the car has the "Q4" badge, it probably is the Q4. The other option is to call an Alfa dealer with the VIN number and ask them to confirm which model the car is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks guys for your assistance. I called the nearest dealer and I will take the car for technical check by the end of this week. Naturally I will keep you informed.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts