Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a29392932/lightning-lap-2019/

The Stelvio Quad finished with a slower time than the Lambo Urus and the Porsche Cayenne Turbo.

Wonder what you Quad owners think about that...

I think it is like the Jag comparo where they screwed up the shifting. The Stelvio requires a better driver to get the most out of it...the competitors just need someone who can turn a wheel and push a pedal...the electronics, active roll control, etc all do the rest.

In particular is the comment about there being a lag with the brakes....that seems, wrong.

These brakes respond faster then traditional brakes, there is no lag...I do not understand that comment unless it actually had to do with the driver not understanding the differences in how these brakes work and how to operate them to best the best performance. Especially in terms of how they change their responses to fit your inputs, ie: fast, hard pedal pressure gets fast, hard braking..but slow, easy pressure gives slow easy braking.

My guess they didn't know how to modulate the brakes correctly which dropped confidence and lap times. A more accustomed driver could beat the C&D lap times IMO.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
The sq runs 220 wear street tires, all the faster cars are on "track" tires like pirelli corsa.
Worth 1 1/2 2 seconds on a typical track. So I'd guess over 4 on that one.
Will probably be an optional tire soon so they can set things straight.

·
Registered
63 Posts
To be fair, those cars are $50-150,000 more than the Stelvio. The car is going on it’s 2nd year without updates and still punching way above its weight. You won’t see the brand new GLC63 or X3M here...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Also annoying they included a 2018 Giulia QV in a 2019 comparison... why? Just so they could take another dig at the reliability?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
everything but the SQ lap haha
they say they spent sufficient time in each vehicle, but without a vid it's hard to tell if they were utilizing it's strength coming out of corners, or charging in with late braking where the weight is an issue.
but if they were driving the same / line for all cars, you are still left with a fast cayenne with stickier tires and a faster still urus.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
The cayenne corsa tires were a "dealer installed option".
Guess they were a little more savvy to this stuff than whoever delivered the sq.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No surprise with the Urus; that's a $250k supermachine!

Would have expected a tighter spread with the Cayenne Turbo; and perhaps a better Stelvio QV time given the weight difference. But not shown in the limited specs is the Cayenne's huge torque advantage. That was credited as a possible difference maker in the Mercedes GLC 63 AMG edging the Stelvio Quad at Nurburgring (7:49.4 to 7:52.7); having a torquey twin-turbo V-8 that allowed it to power out of the turns. And the tire upgrade may have tipped the scales as well.

As was already said by an earlier poster, the Stelvio QV is punching way above it's weight (and price!). Where is the Macan? X3? F-Pace? Oh yeah, they didn't get an invite.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
"tighter spread"

porsche had dealer installed Corsas. smart of them but .....

look at the tires on each vehicle, read the articles and general vid. tires make the difference.

there's your difference.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
no CC, I don't speak Hungarian, and a shorter track but - it would seem that in this compare the cayenne turbo doesn't have dealer installed corsas. I'm guessing the urus has the factory corsas, probably worth 1 and a half seconds on a track this size.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Exactly, TIRES. Also an extra 150+ HP! Put an EC tuned one out there hehe!! (sleeper style)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts