Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have June 2018 Stelvio that is definitely supposed to be able to be updated so it can have Apple Car Play. I even called Alfa Care before I bought the car to AFFIRM that the car could be updated. AFFIRMATIVE (and talked to two techs!) The only problem is, the dealers don't seem to know that. Alfa of Ft. Worth says I don't know what I'm talking about. Alfa of ABQ says they've never heard of such an update. I called Alfa Care back today and they have now done a 180 degree on me. This rep said "It's not in your sales code, and since it's not in your sales code, you can't get Car Play."

She further added "you can do it with a Guilia, but not a Stelvio." So now, I've apparently got a late 2018 Stelvio that can't be updated. I researched this entire thing EXHAUSTIVELY before buying the car, and now I'm stuck.

Any suggestions on what to do from here?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just got a warranted radio on mine and my dealer does not really know either. I think that Alfa needs to educate the dealers on this. The cars are already criticized for their lack of tech and having a definitive way to install would help. Does your '18 have the dual USB's in the center consul (if you researched it i'm sure ya know). thats the only way to tell that i know. Its a mind F' i know. I do not even want to start and research what version of radio that i got and whether i could install that USB as a start..ug

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine just has the one plug, but I believe that is part of the upgrade - they replace that with a two-plug. This has been the most frustrating thing. I painstakingly bought this car with the correct serial number and exhaustive research, and now everyone thinks I'm nuts.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: I just received word that Essence Maserati-Alfa in Ft. Worth CAN AND WILL do the update for me next Wed. It involves more than a software update. They have to order some other part and install it as well. They need it for 24 hours.

For all of you guys in a similar boat as me, all I can say is GOOD LUCK and it's all a matter of who you talk to and what day, because there apparently is no clear answer on this subject from Alfa on down.

·
Registered
20 Posts
UPDATE: I just received word that Essence Maserati-Alfa in Ft. Worth CAN AND WILL do the update for me next Wed. It involves more than a software update. They have to order some other part and install it as well. They need it for 24 hours.

For all of you guys in a similar boat as me, all I can say is GOOD LUCK and it's all a matter of who you talk to and what day, because there apparently is no clear answer on this subject from Alfa on down.
Alfa of Fort Worth is hot garbage, I only go to Essence Maserati Alfa Romeo in Hurst.
Give us an update on your service. I'd like to know how much they charge. Regardless you'll be happy you went to Essence.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have June 2018 Stelvio that is definitely supposed to be able to be updated so it can have Apple Car Play. I even called Alfa Care before I bought the car to AFFIRM that the car could be updated. AFFIRMATIVE (and talked to two techs!) The only problem is, the dealers don't seem to know that. Alfa of Ft. Worth says I don't know what I'm talking about. Alfa of ABQ says they've never heard of such an update. I called Alfa Care back today and they have now done a 180 degree on me. This rep said "It's not in your sales code, and since it's not in your sales code, you can't get Car Play."

She further added "you can do it with a Guilia, but not a Stelvio." So now, I've apparently got a late 2018 Stelvio that can't be updated. I researched this entire thing EXHAUSTIVELY before buying the car, and now I'm stuck.

Any suggestions on what to do from here?
fwiw - i read somewhere before buying my August 2018 Stelvio that those with a manufacture date before early November 2018 (the 11th, I think) cannot be updated. would love to hear that it actually is possible.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the short answer: If your Stelvio VIN has a “B” in the last 8 digits, it cannot be updated / upgraded for CarPlay by Alfa. You’d need to buy an upgrade kit from thecarplayer.com. That appears to be a simple, plug & play solution.

If there is a “C” in the last 8 digits of your VIN, the vehicle can have CarPlay by Alfa. Now, many dealers, and even Alfacare reps themselves, may not know of this fact. Good luck with that part!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, just read your post and am very interested. My car build 11/17 had radio (not sure if this is the same as head unit) changed couple months ago and current software MV and TV 090.000.061 with only 1 USB port at arm rest. After reading your post and just happen had some warranty work done to my car, ask dealer here in Vancouver Canada according this him Alfa Help Desk call them this week regarding this same issue but no one here in Canada (dealer or Alfa Help Line) seem to know solution on this issue. So if all possible, if you can provided any available extra details (services bulletin numbers, parts, labor hours and steps) your dealer took in getting your car to work with Car Play. Just to confirm, your car had only ONE USB port at arm rest and had firmware starting with 090.XXX…, correct? Much appreciate you sharing this solution in helping everyone on this forum getting Car Play working.:)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, just read your post and am very interested. My car build 11/17 had radio (not sure if this is the same as head unit) changed couple months ago and current software MV and TV 090.000.061 with only 1 USB port at arm rest. After reading your post and just happen had some warranty work done to my car, ask dealer here in Vancouver Canada according this him Alfa Help Desk call them this week regarding this same issue but no one here in Canada (dealer or Alfa Help Line) seem to know solution on this issue. So if all possible, if you can provided any available extra details (services bulletin numbers, parts, labor hours and steps) your dealer took in getting your car to work with Car Play. Just to confirm, your car had only ONE USB port at arm rest and had firmware starting with 090.XXX…, correct? Much appreciate you sharing this solution in helping everyone on this forum getting Car Play working.:)
all of this is way, way above my pay grade. If your dealer is balking, I would simply buy and install the unit offered by thecarplayer.com and go on down the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok...I just went through this entire experience. I have a 2018 proper vin and mfg date as well as it being pre-wired for Apple Car / Android Auto. Called Alfa Ft. Lauderdale they stated I was good to go...order USB compatible hub, installed and had my Stelvio for 2 days waiting for the code from Alfa so the vehicle would accept the change...no such luck! Called Alfa, this is not and most likely will not be an update for Stelvio anytime soon. So Ft. Lauderdale wasted time and money for no reason...I was able to ascertain the answer from Alfa in one day...truly pitiful communication with dealer service centers. If it ever does become available I'm wired and good to go...stay positive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok...I just went through this entire experience. I have a 2018 proper vin and mfg date as well as it being pre-wired for Apple Car / Android Auto. Called Alfa Ft. Lauderdale they stated I was good to go...order USB compatible hub, installed and had my Stelvio for 2 days waiting for the code from Alfa so the vehicle would accept the change...no such luck! Called Alfa, this is not and most likely will not be an update for Stelvio anytime soon. So Ft. Lauderdale wasted time and money for no reason...I was able to ascertain the answer from Alfa in one day...truly pitiful communication with dealer service centers. If it ever does become available I'm wired and good to go...stay positive.
Wow, sorry to hear but not surprised as no one seems to know the exact steps method how to get AA/CP working if not already installed. So how much did your Alfa dealer charge you for the USB hub replacement? Will wait for HuskerAlfa update and see if his dealer can get this working. If yes, will see if I can get my dealer to call them

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE: Essence Alfa called me today and said that they WOULD NOT be able to install Apple Car Play in my 2018 Stelvio. No reason given. I love the Stelvio, but the dealers and Alfa Care are like the keystone cops.

I'm buying the plug-in module from thecarplayer.com.

·
Registered
20 Posts
UPDATE: Essence Alfa called me today and said that they WOULD NOT be able to install Apple Car Play in my 2018 Stelvio. No reason given. I love the Stelvio, but the dealers and Alfa Care are like the keystone cops.

Sorry to hear about Essence.

I would recommend you get the CarPlay unit from RFcarsystem
They have an amazing customer support and my module has been trouble/bug free since I bought it.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks for the update and very sorry to hear, as I was hoping that it will work for you so I can gain a bit more info. You are correct add-on is proven method and will explore further. But before that, I am thinking sweat talking my dealer to replace to required dual USB port inside storage compartment and to activate CP and AA (these at my cost) but I will have edit proxies before activation - note these info are from this and other forums. Will update everyone if I go this method otherwise thanks everyone’s inputs

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the update and very sorry to hear, as I was hoping that it will work for you so I can gain a bit more info. You are correct add-on is proven method and will explore further. But before that, I am thinking sweat talking my dealer to replace to required dual USB port inside storage compartment and to activate CP and AA (these at my cost) but I will have edit proxies before activation - note these info are from this and other forums. Will update everyone if I go this method otherwise thanks everyone’s inputs
the plug and play solution from thecarplayer.com seems to be the answer. Too bad the Alfa dealers don't stock these things. Imagine the customer satisfaction points they'd score...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts