Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i am new to this posting. I own the 2018 Stelvio 2.0 TI Sport. Recently, i have changed the springs to the Madness 2.0". The look is amazing, but besides the known factors of loosing the ride comfort and tire wear. I have noticed a very bad issue, when i hit a bump or a pothole, the car loses balance and swerve a bit to the right or left depending where the pothole or bump location is. i have returned to the shop so they can make sure that the job was done correctly with the installation and alignment, they confirmed that everything is ok and they are not sure why this is happening. Currently i am stuck with either going back to my OEM springs or keep dealing with the annoying issue. Have anyone experienced this? or even if there is any advice that can help me with finding the root cause of this issue?
I have attached the picture for the alignment and results.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Ti Sport. Alfa White. Nero. Red Interior.
96 Posts
I am always perplexed why owners believe that aftermarket parts sellers are better engineers than the builder's design and manufacturing engineers? This is why warranties are voided.

·
Registered
376 Posts
You have bump steer. You have changed steering geometry a LOT with a 2” drop perhaps exacerbated by camber and caster changes that you can see in your alignment specs. Ask Madness what their alignment specs are for an otherwise stock car. Do they have a bump steer kit for the steering arms, and adjustable links or camber plates.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have bump steer. You have changed steering geometry a LOT with a 2” drop perhaps exacerbated by camber and caster changes that you can see in your alignment specs. Ask Madness what their alignment specs are for an otherwise stock car. Do they have a bump steer kit for the steering arms, and adjustable links or camber plates.
Thanks for replying to my post. I called them and they refused to share it even with the mechanics. the guy told me that they have these 2" installed on one of thier Stelvio's and never had an issue. my mechanic saying its the lowering springs. the problem is that a lot of people are buying theses lowering springs, but no one is complaining about this issue. it makes me feel that i am the only one who is facing an issue like that. I think that i will end up going back to stock. i just feel that they should mention that issue and not say it will work perfect with no issues. The car suspension turned from good to worst.

Alfa romeo 164S, Giulia ti Sport Q4
169 Posts
I'd get the stock springs back on. This car does not fair well being lowered especially when it comes to the suspension geometry. Giulia guys have problems too but not as bad as the Stelvio.

It's the lowering springs!!! Return your Stelvio back to stock, throw the springs in the recycle bin. Take a loss and move on.

·
Registered
376 Posts
@Fearless I had been considering a 1.2” drop on my Ti so was interested in your experience. Sorry you spent the $ and found no joy. Maybe the 1.2” drop would be OK but modern cars are finicky. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
So much for Madness and all the praise. Texas has no bumps.....flat!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So much for Madness and all the praise. Texas has no bumps.....flat!!!
When i changed my tires for summer ones, last spring, i began to experience bump steer big time. Went to the dealer and it seems they botched the alingment so they did it again. Same problem (very noticeable). So i went back. They said the car acted « normally » when compared with a new one but they agreed to change the rear shocks. Took my car out and it did not change a thing. Since i feel the problem began when i changed the tires, i suspect they are the problem but i am skeptical that only tires could do that. Otherwise i just don’t know what to look for. Any advice?

·
Registered
2 Posts
When i changed my tires for summer ones, last spring, i began to experience bump steer big time. Went to the dealer and it seems they botched the alingment so they did it again. Same problem (very noticeable). So i went back. They said the car acted « normally » when compared with a new one but they agreed to change the rear shocks. Took my car out and it did not change a thing. Since i feel the problem began when i changed the tires, i suspect they are the problem but i am skeptical that only tires could do that. Otherwise i just don’t know what to look for. Any advice?
Stelvio TI sport 2018

·
Registered
569 Posts
Can you define what you're experiencing?

Most folks going from winter to summer tires may experience tramlining more. This is common with a high performance tire.

Can you post your alignment specs?

Why did they replace the rear shocks?

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
159 Posts
I have noticed a very bad issue, when i hit a bump or a pothole, the car loses balance and swerve a bit to the right or left depending where the pothole or bump location is.
Just sayin'

If it's as bad as you say it is, think about if you add some speed & rain to the mix.

Despite having stability control, your Stelvio might not be able to overcome the laws of physics, and you could possibly kiss a guard rail, curb, or a car that's parallel to you.

My vote = return the lowering springs to Madness and go back to stock.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
170 Posts
I was seriously thinking about buying these Sport springs, but if this is true, and Madness does not reply to this thread, I won't be buying their springs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They might reply, but no help. I called them twice. Once to tell them about my problem and if they seen something similar. They said no. Its an alignment issue. Second when i told them that my car is rattling. They said all customers are happy with our springs. Just dont mess with the suspension.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts