Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
One more question - if you want to play music from usb flash drive, you have to disconnect Android Auto or it's possible to play from under armrest usb and play via standard entertainment system?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thank you ! btw after using it for 4 month, do you have any drawback for this module? except night mode for google maps.
It's been great, I've had no issues other than the night mode issue for maps.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hey did you just email eng - custom or is there a website that I can purchase from
I sent them a direct message from Facebook, they have a Facebook page. They replied withing a few minutes.

Reactions: Xerberus3

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It's been great, I've had no issues other than the night mode issue for maps.
Interestingly enough, my issue with being stuck on night mode inexplicably changed to being stuck on day mode.

I think this is a phone/Android Auto issue not an issue with the piggyback module.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, does volume/next song joystik work on eng custom? i installed it yesterday and next/preview song works only from steering wheel.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yes, mine works from both the joystick and the steering wheel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmm strange joystick when switiching it works like selecting in Android Auto, and i only can switch music with steering wheel buttons. I use wireless android auto maybe its the problem..

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hmm strange joystick when switiching it works like selecting in Android Auto, and i only can switch music with steering wheel buttons. I use wireless android auto maybe its the problem..
I can't speak to the wireless connection since I only use wired. Have tried wired? Or did you not hook up the USB with the thought you'd only use wireless? Also, send ENG-Custom a message through Facebook messenger, they are very responsive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I lost all my strength and energy while taking apart under the steering wheel andnd could not remove the usb panel, did not understand in the end how to remove it. I spoke with ENG today, they told me that its firmware issue and new firmware will be soon that will fix it. p.s my opinion Android Auto wireless is useless, because it eats battery on my galaxy s20 like crazy. 20-30% in 30 minutes drive and i makes phone hot because gps is active for google maps, wireless streaming is active via wifi and bluetooth. So will try to remove USB panel on weekend, how did you removed it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I lost all my strength and energy while taking apart under the steering wheel andnd could not remove the usb panel, did not understand in the end how to remove it. I spoke with ENG today, they told me that its firmware issue and new firmware will be soon that will fix it. p.s my opinion Android Auto wireless is useless, because it eats battery on my galaxy s20 like crazy. 20-30% in 30 minutes drive and i makes phone hot because gps is active for google maps, wireless streaming is active via wifi and bluetooth. So will try to remove USB panel on weekend, how did you removed it?
Removing the USB panel was actually the easiest part compared to the stuff under the dash. The trick is to get some plastic pry tools designed for car panels. That way you will not nick and scratch the panel. Also, a small suction cup is a big help if you have one to pull outward with. This is what I have...

·
Registered
11 Posts
You have big kit, i have small only for big panels. I read in manual that i have to rise it up and then pull back, but no luck. I think the best would be to buy a kit like yours

·
Registered
5 Posts
One drawback with replacing the factory USB with the ENG USB is that it will not charge the phone (iPhone in my case) is that just me or is it supposed to work like this?
I am also not able to play music (mp3) from a USB stick plugged in there when I select it from the carplay menu (it states that no USB media is found). It sort of leaves that USB port useless apart from upgrading the firmware on the carplay module or using it for wired carplay (which I need to double-check actually....).

Do you see the same issues?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
One drawback with replacing the factory USB with the ENG USB is that it will not charge the phone (iPhone in my case) is that just me or is it supposed to work like this?
I am also not able to play music (mp3) from a USB stick plugged in there when I select it from the carplay menu (it states that no USB media is found). It sort of leaves that USB port useless apart from upgrading the firmware on the carplay module or using it for wired carplay (which I need to double-check actually....).

Do you see the same issues?
[/QUOTE
Mine charges my phone (Android) and plays music from a USB stick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know a lot of people were disappointed with the early build MY2018 Stelvios not having ACP/AA so I wanted to post my experience with the module I installed. I pulled the trigger on the piggyback module from ENG-Custom (about $390 shipped). It ties into the video feed and power from the Alfa head unit.

I'm not gonna lie, the install was a pain in the ass and I wanted to break something several times. Technically speaking, the install is simple - if everything was easily accessible. But it's not. The trim in the driver's side footwell has to be removed as well as the little cubby box, which isn't difficult with trim removal tools. Then the Alfa head unit has to be unbolted from it's bracket and lowered to where you can get to the wiring. This part was not so simple and my cut up hands will tell you the same. The ENG-Custom module comes with a harness which plugs into the Alfa unit, then the cables you pull from the Alfa unit plug into the ENG harness...classic piggyback. Stuffing everything back into the footwell is no picnic either, but it does fit. Eventually.

The next day I felt like I was beaten with a club for three hours. The positions you'll find yourself in under the dash are awkward and uncomfortable to say the least. But it was all worth it when I plugged my phone in and saw Android Auto pop up.

A little about how it functions alongside the Alfa Connect system:
  • When you plug the phone in Android Auto starts automatically, you don't have to launch anything.
  • If you want to go back to the Alfa system, simply long press the menu button for 3 seconds. You can get back to Android Auto by doing the same thing.
  • When you receive a phone call while in Android Auto it automatically sends mic function to the Alfa system. This is seamless and has worked perfectly. (Bluetooth connected to Alfa/Wired USB to Android Auto)
  • This unit also has mirroring functionality. I tested it with a YouTube video and it works well.
  • So far the only issue I've had is my Google maps is always in night mode. It's supposed to follow what the Alfa system is configured to do. Mine doesn't. But this doesn't really bother me. If it's stuck on one mode I'm glad it's night and not day.
Here are some pics of the interface. The last two will show you what it does when you get a call. The system stays with Android Auto even though mic function is from Alfa. As you can see from the pics, the call info shows up where the music info was. Hangup and it goes back to music...again, seamless.

View attachment 19052

View attachment 19053

View attachment 19054

View attachment 19055

View attachment 19056

View attachment 19057

View attachment 19058
Hi mrpink, how were you able to reach the CarPlay module from the central console?
Did you have to disattach anything else besides the black front plate where the USB plug sits?
I was able disattach the plate and plug the new wire on the OEM USB plug, but I can't seem to find a way to run the wire back to the CarPlay module. I can't find a hole to tick the wire in. Do you still remember how you did that?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts