Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am currently struggling whether to purchase a Stelvio Ti Sport that is exactly what I want, minus Apple CarPlay, and trying to decide whether I can live happily without, or whether to wait for the post-December 2017 builds to start arriving in the US. I am an Apple fan-boy, and have had CarPlay in my prior 2 vehicles and LOVE it.

My dealer mistakenly thought it was possible to upgrade the Stelvio to CarPlay via a software update, so when I last test drove the vehicle I didn't even bother to play with the infotainment system, as I was thinking I would ultimately have CarPlay to replace it.
So am returning to the dealer Saturday to plug in my iPhone and play around with the system and see if I can live with it, but, wanted to hit the forum to see if anyone had any thoughts/comments to share on their experiences thus far.

For instance:
I assume there is no way to mirror Apple Maps, Google Maps, or Waze on the Alfa display - correct? I assume you would just get audio directions over the sound system and that's it - you have to rely otherwise on visuals from the Alfa Nav system instead?
Am I correct in reading here on the forum that the Alfa system will read your text messages aloud over the sound system?
How easy is it to navigate through your music library?
Is there any way to access apps on your iPhone thru the Alfa head unit (such as Overcast or Audible), or do you have to tap away on your iPhone and basically just play anything thru the sound system?

Appreciate any and all candid observations from the group.

·
Read Only
849 Posts
if you think about your iphone like an ipod ok, that's it, nothing more. without the carplay compatibility you need to consider to use your iphone in standalone, like me with android auto.

·
Registered
478 Posts
You can’t use Google Maps or Waze with CarPlay anyhow. Apple knows best so you can only use their navigation software. If you are willing to deal with mounting your phone you can run Waze on your phone, but not on the in car display.

I’ve played with it in a Giulia. It works, but the lack of a touch screen was really irritating. It also was kind of touchy about mounting my phone.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Personally I don't know if I'd actually use AA/CP even if mine had it, as the Bluetooth connection actually works just fine for my needs (and my other car just has BT anyway). But I know that may not be enough for others....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought 2018 Alfa Stelvio TI last Saturday and I was promise two things and I was given a recall for 2018 Giulia for CarPlay up date. I was also sold rim and tire insurance. The next day I was driving back to West palm beach and I had blowout. It was 10pm and Alfa finally found me 6 am. I was tow toalfa dealerin Charleston. The tire was replace but the insurance company isn’t accept at Alfa dealers. What a joke. Alfa westbury sold me insurance that isn’t accepted and I was told Giulia are getting CarPlay but NOT THE STELVIO. WE THESE DEALERS HOW CAN ALFA SURRIVE.

·
Registered
626 Posts
..... and I was told Giulia are getting CarPlay but NOT THE STELVIO. WE THESE DEALERS HOW CAN ALFA SURRIVE.
There is no difference between infotainment on giulia and stelvio, so what goes for giulia, goes for stelvio, good or bad .... ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts