Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I own a 2018 Stelvio, unfortunately the vehicle did not come with CarPlay. Has anyone else been able to get CarPlay thru some other source.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wonder if the new firmware will include FCA's AR brand. It would be nice if it is written to retrofit our 2018's.

Article's URL: Fiat Chrysler's Android-Based Uconnect 5 Infotainment System Gains Wireless CarPlay and More

Fiat Chrysler's Android-Based Uconnect 5 Infotainment System Gains Wireless CarPlay and More
Monday January 27, 2020 7:01 am PST by Eric Slivka
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) today announced the upcoming launch of its next-generation infotainment system, Uconnect 5. The new version of Uconnect has been rebuilt from the ground up on an Android platform with a number of new features including wireless CarPlay and Android Auto, a familiar-yet-revamped user interface, support for up to five user profiles for customization, Alexa support, improved voice control, and more.

Uconnect 5 home screen
We've been fans of the current Uconnect 4 infotainment system and the way it nearly seamlessly blends ‌CarPlay‌ into the native system, and making ‌CarPlay‌ wireless will no doubt make that experience even better. Many of the other improvements in Uconnect 5 such as enhanced customizability, faster hardware performance, and new features and services should also make for a better user experience.

Uconnect 5 user profiles
The award-winning Uconnect system offers new conveniences, keeping customers engaged and informed all while keeping their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. Apple ‌CarPlay‌ and Android Auto are currently available on more than 80 percent of FCA's North American applications. Uconnect 5 will bring Apple ‌CarPlay‌ and Android Auto to 100 percent of FCA's North American offerings. The feature also adds wireless connectivity, allowing customers to wirelessly project phone apps quick and easy, while leaving phones securely stowed.
Uconnect 5 TomTom navigation
Wireless ‌CarPlay‌ has so far been largely limited to a handful of luxury brands like BMW, Audi, and Porsche, with some aftermarket systems also supporting it, but more mainstream manufacturers are on the verge of adding wireless Carplay as they launch major updates to their infotainment technology. Ford announced last October that its SYNC 4 system will support wireless ‌CarPlay‌ in select vehicles, and now FCA is following suit with its family of brands including Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, and more.

FCA has yet to announce exactly when and on which models Uconnect 5 will first launch, but it should start rolling out later this year.

Related Roundup: CarPlay
Tag: Fiat Chrysler

·
Registered
174 Posts
dont hold your breath. I highly doubt it. they decided not to use their uconnect4 on alfa's so what makes you think theyll just upgrade it to uconnect5 lol

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't have details of what is being used and what is not. If they do, it would be great ( hence the "it would be nice if" in my previous post). If they don't, it won't change my love for my Stelvio or the enjoyment of the way it drives.

Welcome to the forum @absoluteczech.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know someone installed an aftermarket touchscreen system on their Stelvio which can screen mirror their phone. It's somewhere on YouTube. Unless you own yours I wouldn't bother

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport. Premium everything. Vesuvio Grey with Red interior
40 Posts
Hello

I own a 2018 Stelvio, unfortunately the vehicle did not come with CarPlay. Has anyone else been able to get CarPlay thru some other source.
I have an unused Eng-Custom (Italian Company) Carplay/Android Auto module for the 2017 - 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio & Giulia infotainment. It is a piggyback module. This unit will work with both the 6 inch screen and the 8 inch screen. I was going to use it but my 2018 Stelvio has Android Auto.

The Eng-Custom unit actually has a better AA/Carplay setup. It uses the whole screen and supports wireless connectivity.

I just got cold feet and decided to live with the smaller screen utilization of the Alfa AA setup.

The unit cost $400+ New. It is in the box with all cables and instructions.

I'll sell it for $350 :)

Oct 23, 2020 UPDATE: My unit just sold.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Haha!! You see the heat sink AND fan on the back of the display unit in the instructions? ....even the display is overbuilt mechanically...gotta love it...

Might not be the most technically advanced car..but hot dang if it isn't mechanically one of the best.

Nice post BTW. Lots of people want carplay, nice the addition isnt hard with aftermarket parts now.

BTW, notice that website specify's they make units for Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, and VW.

Can you guess why the same unit works on the Stelvio? Same base code, same base hardware. The differences are window dressing.

Maserati used the FCA system..got blasted for it by the press. Made the car cheap by sharing parts with Dodges suposedly. So Alfa used the system the German luxury manufacturers use......got blasted for it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts