Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered the new Stevio 2020 to replace my current one which is from 2017.

I asked my dealer if he could mount me before delivery 4 QV rims in 255/45/20.

Categorical refusal.

Such a modification would void the manufacturer's warranty.

The standard Stelvio is not designed to be fitted with QV rims

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have run them for 2 years 255/285 setup. You do not want to run 255's on rear. Tires will be stretched. That may be their issue. Your fitment choice is incorrect.

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try another dealer ;)
The dimensions of the tires on a standard Stelvio in 20 "(255/45/20) correspond well to the front tires of a QV. But the offsets are different. My dealer before answering me to ask Alfa Romeo France. Refusal.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The dimensions of the front tires of the QV (255/45/20) are identical to those of the 4 tires of a Stelvio Standard.

So I thought we could mount 4 front rims from QV on a Stelvio Standard but Alfa Romeo France refuses because of different offset.
They said this could cause problems on the running gear.

Alfa Romeo refuses just as much the fitting of the rear wheels of the QV (285/45/20) to the rear on a standard Stelvio.

I found on an Italian forum a Stelvio owner to whom we made the same answer

Greetings to all. I went to the dealer for the winter / summer tire change. As I said earlier, I had bought the 20 "cloverleaf set (which has as ref. 5YN), 9.0Jx20" ET29.
(As you well know the stelvio mounts the type 8.5Jx20 "ET31, ref.5A6 as 20").

Short, the difference is small and the dealer thought it worked. Today he explained to me (from what I understand, I'm not an expert, sorry) that the problem is the distances with the brakes (very different between the four-leaf clover and mine). Essentially, the design of the rim is such as to leave room for the braking system, which on the Stelvio is at a certain distance from the axle and in the four-leaf clover to another (larger). In the case of four-leaf clover rims, it will therefore be necessary to move the wheels outwards by several millimeters. In the end we succeed, but they do not want to take responsibility for the change, because a Stelvio with the same changes has returned to the garage with bearing problems ...

What to tell you. Since I was refunded in full for a considerable amount (here we are in France and almost everything costs more), I have no reason not to believe in their good faith, even if I don't fully understand the explanation (more in French with technical terms ...). I have inserted two photos of the different rims where you can see the curvature at the brake in the "classic" case, while it seems that the brake is much closer to the four-leaf clover rim, whose "spokes" become much thicker, approaching the axle.

For those interested, the German catalog contains various information on the various models, https://www.alfaromeo.de/content/da...price-list/pdf/stelvio/Stelvio_Preisliste.pdf, page 9, where it seems there is incompatibility between 5YN and 5A6 (there is no price and no option).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Question. Some of you have mounted QV rims on a Stelvio Standard by mounting 4 rims in 255/45/20?

If yes, did you do it with or without enlargers

·
Registered
337 Posts

Categorical refusal.

Could you buy the QV and have the whole package?

·
Registered
6 Posts

Categorical refusal.

I am a client advisor at West German BMW and a Stelvio owner. That’s the same answer you would receive here. We can’t do it on a new car. It must be delivered as it was built.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I am a client advisor at West German BMW and a Stelvio

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am a client advisor at West German BMW and a Stelvio owner. That’s the same answer you would receive here. We can’t do it on a new car. It must be delivered as it was built.
My dealer and Alfa Romeo France have also indicated that if I had QV rims after delivery it would cause the forfeiture of the warranty in the event of a problem (suspension, running gear, bearings ...)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Quad rear wheels are wider so must run a 285. The wider wheels have plenty of room on the smaller standard rear brakes...non issue. Front calipers are close but a non issue. I have no issues with my TiSport and quad wheels in summer on the 3rd season now. . Last I checked, wheels don't flex. If you are running rubber sticky enough to do that you could probably destroy entire suspension...ie slicks on a track. Next BS they'll try is must use OE rubber. I do not run spacers. Tolerance to calipers is close but no worse than other vehicles I own. That's almost like saying any non stock wheel will forfeit warranty.. Wheel does not stick out thus causing bearing strain is not an issue. If anything, the higher quality tire's road holding ability would be the greater issue IMHO. I also know folks that run 4 front Quad wheels and run 255's all around that way.
Considering what punks do to their rides with camber etc, I would NOT be concerned about any ill affects
Ironic that my dealer in CT considers my setup the best looking they've seen between the color and black wheels. Zero issues with the wheels and have done it for several others.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the details. But, in my case, from the moment when the dealer and Alfa Romeo told me of their position I cannot mount QV wheels. In the event of a problem, they will remind me that they have warned me that the warranty will be canceled. The legislation is much stricter in Europe than in the United States on this type of subject ...

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
We get the occasional riot, but the US is still pretty cool:devilish:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quad rear wheels are wider so must run a 285. The wider wheels have plenty of room on the smaller standard rear brakes...non issue. Front calipers are close but a non issue. I have no issues with my TiSport and quad wheels in summer on the 3rd season now. . Last I checked, wheels don't flex. If you are running rubber sticky enough to do that you could probably destroy entire suspension...ie slicks on a track. Next BS they'll try is must use OE rubber. I do not run spacers. Tolerance to calipers is close but no worse than other vehicles I own. That's almost like saying any non stock wheel will forfeit warranty.. Wheel does not stick out thus causing bearing strain is not an issue. If anything, the higher quality tire's road holding ability would be the greater issue IMHO. I also know folks that run 4 front Quad wheels and run 255's all around that way.
Considering what punks do to their rides with camber etc, I would NOT be concerned about any ill affects
Ironic that my dealer in CT considers my setup the best looking they've seen between the color and black wheels. Zero issues with the wheels and have done it for several others.
If you bought it from Valenti, I’m not surprised. I worked as a tech at a Valenti dealership for a few years, have dealt with their Audi and Porche shops in North Haven and Watertown. Sorry for your choice of dealers if it was Valenti. Crooks at every turn.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Figaro....my experience with Valenti is 100% the opposite over an almost 30yr run with everything from Alfas to Isuzus, and Lotus. Giovanni took care of my 164L like it was his own. Not even sure what you're saying as it doesn't remotely correlate with our European friend's issues. Valenti loves my cars

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I'd leave dealership and put on the wheels you want. F'm. They do fit....VERY WELL.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just my 50 cents ... the QV wheels don't actually fit, when the car is in the air (on the lift). They rub on the inside of the wheel mud guards (the carpet thing). When the car is on the groud there is only about a centimeter gap between the tire and the mud guard. It seems to be no issue, because I've been driving like that for 2 weeks now, but I will put 1 centimeter spacers on the rear and QV wheel arches, to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Have them on car for 3rd season now ~10000 miles. No remote sign of rubbing and I occasionally flog it.

Reactions: Flunx

·
Registered
519 Posts

Categorical refusal.

To fit all 4 wheels with 255.
You will need 4 front Wheels of the Stelvio Q.
I myself have 255/285.. no rubber and mine is lowered 3cm.
The rear wheels are wider.
I install spacer at rear only... check my project thread.

Flavio

1 - 20 of 20 Posts