Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vendor
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a new tool that should make everyone with a Giulia or Stelvio's life a little easier, although it's the type of thing you typically buy hoping you will never need it.

As many of you already know, the ZF 8-speed transmission is controlled completely electronically, and defaults to PARK whenever the car is shut off or a fault is detected. In cases where the electrical system is completely dead or the engine cannot be started, moving the car can be difficult.

This compact and lightweight tool is inserted into the transmission from below and activates the factory manual park over-ride lever, allowing the vehicle to be rolled for towing or servicing. It was specifically designed to be easy to use one-handed, even on lowered Giulias (It's a lot easier to use on the Stelvio).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just received this tool. It will work great now that I know a couple of things. I was able to find the location where the tool goes easily. You can reach it with one hand from the side of the car. Don't screw the tool in too tight! When I went to remove it the handle came off with the bolt still in position. I couldn't get the bolt out laying on the side of the car. After towing the car to the dealer, I have learned that the bolt has a metric allen key slot in the bottom of the bolt to easily remove it if the handle comes loose. So $250 later, I now know everything I need to know about getting the car out of park with the engine not running. The good news is that I didn't damage anything except my wallet!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for this post. I just purchased it. I see this as a MUST-HAVE for Stelvio (and Giulia) owners. I've already had to have my Stelvio towed, and it's only because a mechanic from the Alfa dealership drove out to my location and inserted his version of this bolt that my Stelvio was able to be safely and correctly towed.
I'd also add the following to your "emergency kit":
  • chocks (at least two), because while this bolt is inserted, your vehicle will be in Neutral and can/will roll.
  • know how to install your tow hook (ahead of time); the alternative is having the tow truck driver connect chains to the lower control arms of your front suspension. . . and unless I'm mistaken, Stelvios should only be towed via flatbed (i.e. pulled up onto a flatbed).
  • I have the Alfa9Supply front licence plate mount installed in my front tow hook, so I carry the tools necessary to remove that (Allen tool and Philips head screw driver).
  • Here's Alfa Romeo's Roadside Assistance number (USA) 855-299-1368 and have your VIN ready.
  • Lastly, learn how to install this park release bolt. Get under your Stelvio from the driver's side. Find the red plastic piece. Just inboard of that piece is the insert point for the bolt. Without being jacked, you'll be squeezing yourself pretty good to access, but it IS doable :)
Make no mistake, our Stelvio's will NOT leave PARK if the computer isn't happy. In my case, my battery was fine, but one of my ignition coils was bad and the computer would no longer allow the engine to start (it'd crank, but never start). So even in my case (with good battery), the shifter would NOT allow you to shift into any other gears but PARK; hence the importance of this handy "tool".

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
368 Posts
It's the same size and thread as the engine cover bolts. I found this out when my battery died and I needed a tow.
Not sure on the length.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Finally found it after reading the post above. it's hard to reach it without sticking your head inside under the car. found this at amazon and it seems to work fine. FYI, on BMWs they already have this bolt installed partially. They just leave it in there i suppose. I might do that....

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
543 Posts
Found a "bolt" with a handle, that I could easily modify, and a few minutes later, I have it. It is even made out of stainless steel.
White Musical instrument Product Guitar accessory Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Tire White Vehicle Bus

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
368 Posts
Found a "bolt" with a handle, that I could easily modify, and a few minutes later, I have it. It is even made out of stainless steel. View attachment 25099
View attachment 25100
Nice work! If you happen to have a lathe handy, not to hard to fab up.

Or, for the price of a burger and a couple pints, get a well made tool and support one of the longest standing and one of the greatest supporters of the Alfa community.
Centerline has helped me find parts for the past 25 years. 👍

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
543 Posts
Looks good, but you have to make up something, at 32mm mark. It seems like, it is not safe to screw in more then 32mm(1.25").
You could use two M6 nuts, and just tighten them together at that point.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Looks good, but you have to make up something, at 32mm mark. It seems like, it is not safe to screw in more then 32mm(1.25").
You could use two M6 nuts, and just tighten them together at that point.
You are abosolutely right. I found on BMW sites that you will hear it click when it's inserted it far enough. I'm probably go with that than inserting all 32mm of it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for this post. I just purchased it. I see this as a MUST-HAVE for Stelvio (and Giulia) owners. I've already had to have my Stelvio towed, and it's only because a mechanic from the Alfa dealership drove out to my location and inserted his version of this bolt that my Stelvio was able to be safely and correctly towed.
I'd also add the following to your "emergency kit":
  • chocks (at least two), because while this bolt is inserted, your vehicle will be in Neutral and can/will roll.
  • know how to install your tow hook (ahead of time); the alternative is having the tow truck driver connect chains to the lower control arms of your front suspension. . . and unless I'm mistaken, Stelvios should only be towed via flatbed (i.e. pulled up onto a flatbed).
  • I have the Alfa9Supply front licence plate mount installed in my front tow hook, so I carry the tools necessary to remove that (Allen tool and Philips head screw driver).
  • Here's Alfa Romeo's Roadside Assistance number (USA) 855-299-1368 and have your VIN ready.
  • Lastly, learn how to install this park release bolt. Get under your Stelvio from the driver's side. Find the red plastic piece. Just inboard of that piece is the insert point for the bolt. Without being jacked, you'll be squeezing yourself pretty good to access, but it IS doable :)
Make no mistake, our Stelvio's will NOT leave PARK if the computer isn't happy. In my case, my battery was fine, but one of my ignition coils was bad and the computer would no longer allow the engine to start (it'd crank, but never start). So even in my case (with good battery), the shifter would NOT allow you to shift into any other gears but PARK; hence the importance of this handy "tool".
I need to add this info to the “Wiki Sort of Page” I work on.
Mike

Reactions: WOP_Drive

·
Registered
20 Posts
M6 x 32 mm (using an M6 bolt longer than 32 mm may cause damage to the Manual Park Release System (according to Centerline).
Yes it’s an M6 but 32 mm is the wrong information it’s simply too short !
You need at least 50 mm preferably 60 mm with a nice knob at the end so you can twist /screw it easily in place .
Check Amazon. Around $9 for 2
Photograph White Light Camera accessory Line

1 - 20 of 20 Posts