Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'19 Ti Lusso -- 12,000 miles -- wife's car -- mostly errands around town except when I drive it on weekends. Our 3yr service is next month and zero issues since we picked up from our dealer March 2019. We ordered the car so it didn't sit around on the dealer lot.
So with no issues and no sign of battery failure but knowing what we know about our batteries would you suggest a preemptive strike with a new battery install given the age? The dealer would do it while performing the maintenance. It's got the spare tire so thought I would let them handle this. Yes - I know it will cost more for a fairly easy task but while in warranty I plan on using the dealer for any required servicing.
What do you all suggest?
Thanks

·
Registered
723 Posts
If you do choose to stick with your dealer for the battery (Varta likely), ask them to test it first while in for your upcoming maintenance. I have a 19 also and while in for regular service, they said a cell had failed and I was getting low on CCA---70% if I remember correctly. They installed a new (Varta) for free under warranty. I was ok with this personally. Saved me $ and I will trade in for new in a year or so anyway. Funny, I have never experienced any of the low batt issues common on this forum. Lucky I guess.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Sport Vesuvio Grey
319 Posts
If you do choose to stick with your dealer for the battery (Varta likely), ask them to test it first while in for your upcoming maintenance. I have a 19 also and while in for regular service, they said a cell had failed and I was getting low on CCA---70% if I remember correctly. They installed a new (Varta) for free under warranty. I was ok with this personally. Saved me $ and I will trade in for new in a year or so anyway. Funny, I have never experienced any of the low batt issues common on this forum. Lucky I guess.
I second this. If a battery test at the dealer shows the voltage to be low, you may get a new one installed under warranty, at least my local dealer did for me. I received a Mopar battery however, not another garbage Varta.

·
Registered
771 Posts
In addition to having the battery properly load tested, watch out for telltale signs. A transient warning light, weird running and especially the stop start not working. How the car is driven makes a big difference. My battery is six years old, still good. Lucky. Never used a tender routinely. Go figure.

I will probably replace soon though, stop start doesn’t work anymore. I just hooked it up to a charger, not driving much and it’s been really cold in NJ. Took awhile but CTEK charger completed charge cycle. If start stop doesn’t come back then née battery for sure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great idea -- yeah, if it's got to be Varta better to be a free one. However, have to think by now whatever plagued the original batteries on the 18's has been remedied by now - like improved quality and better matched to our electrical systems.
Thx

·
Registered
723 Posts
I hope you are right, but Varta as a company has been around for over 100 years---making batteries. My 2018 GTI had a Varta---got lucky there, too----no issues, but I only had the car for about 2 years. You would think they would have resolved any issues a long time ago. Yet, issues still exist. I took the chance on a free new Varta. I do not lose any sleep over it, but that is just me. I totally get why others want a better non-Varta AGM. I may be in that camp if my luck runs out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely check for corrosion at the terminals.

Damn -- powerful video as to possible root causes of some of the issues experienced by our forum members. Also the poor performing Alfa dealers we hear about could take a lesson from that manager. Benson must be one of the good ones. No complaints with my Nashville area dealer (other than price) but not sure they go that far with preventive maintenance.
Thx

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thanks for the video. When we disconnect the battery, systems need to be re-initiated after power restored, like the steering.

Will this 12v power source eliminate that process when used in supply mode?

I think that would actually be counterproductive in our cars, as fully disconnecting the battery causes the IBS te recalibrate to the new battery which is what you want

As a side note, I don't think Varta is the problem with batteries, but the fact that alfa uses Varta EFB type batteries ex factory, These are just less suited to this application.
Varta has perfectly good AGM batteries, but they are more expensive ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think that would actually be counterproductive in our cars, as fully disconnecting the battery causes the IBS te recalibrate to the new battery which is what you want

As a side note, I don't think Varta is the problem with batteries, but the fact that alfa uses Varta EFB type batteries ex factory, These are just less suited to this application.
Varta has perfectly good AGM batteries, but they are more expensive ;)
Thank you for the response. I know my battery was replaced by first owner, will check charge and "status of health /status of life" with one of the devices ( KONNWEI KW208 12V Car Battery Tester) I use for the marine batteries we use on our floating dock.

Even though I drive quite a bit, I'm going to confirm the % charge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts