Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While reading the manual, I'm surprised to learn that Stelvio uses lug bolts instead of lug nuts. I mean is it really fun to hold the wheel in one hand (assuming you are as strong as a gorilla), and try to guide the bolt through the hole on the control arm assembly? I suspect it will increase the chances to cross-thread the bolt holes. I think there is a reason other car manufacturers all use lug nuts.

That said, my above conclusion is based on my imagination only. Anyone has experiences on changing tires of Alfa Romeo?

BTW, do you all plan to buy a special jack like the one in the picture?

Attachments

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have not had to change a tire, but it is my understanding that the hub has a lip that the wheel would sit on. Not a big lip, but enough, or I am totally incorrect.

·
Registered
77 Posts
There is a lip on all four hubs. In addition, there is a pin on each of the front hubs. With the wheel on the lip of the hub, you can turn the wheel to line up the hole in the hub to install the lug bolts.

Ray

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for sharing your knowledge!

That sounds like a smart design actually.

I have not had to change a tire, but it is my understanding that the hub has a lip that the wheel would sit on. Not a big lip, but enough, or I am totally incorrect.
There is a lip on all four hubs. In addition, there is a pin on each of the front hubs. With the wheel on the lip of the hub, you can turn the wheel to line up the hole in the hub to install the lug bolts.

Ray

·
Registered
77 Posts

Ray
BMW's and Audi's are similar. However, unlike Alfa they did not have a pin on the hubs. I used the slip-in pin that was in my BMW tool kit to help support the wheel when I did the winter tire changeover.

It was a basic tool - plastic base that fit inside one of the bolt holes and the remaining pin surface a polished stainless steel.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Alfa has used lug bolts in the past. The 164 came with a short red-painted threaded rod in the tool kit. This was to be threaded into one hole in the rotor to support the wheel and allow the lugs to be installed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have had BMWs and Audi’s and Porsche. They all use lug bolts. It is actually a better tecnucal design than lug nuts. The latter is a cheaper design and that is why US auto mftrs use lug nuts. All of the vehicles I have owned with lug bolts have either a lip or pin to help hold the weight of the tire when mounting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts