Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone mechanically knowledgeable can tell me what's involved in changing calipers....

I pretty much hate the plain gray ones on the base model and would like to pick up a set used, low-mileage to replace them. Wasn't sure if when the calipers are changed what else needs to be changed / what I can re-use from the existing calipers or need to replace, etc.

thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer first estimate: $600 labor. I said, "I need you to go back and check that....". Nothing I've read suggests 4 hours worth of work for 4 calipers. If it's that much I'll just live with the hideous gray ones.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I didn´t understand one thing?

What do you want to change?

Bigger brake rotor disc?
I confess that I never understood if the 280hp petrol version use the same diameter as the 210hp diesel.

Or you what to go for a Stelvio Quadrifoglio "regular" brakes? ou Ceramic Carbon?

Be carefull...groove (drilled) disc.. tend to crack... I´d go for slotted disc instead.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I didn´t understand one thing?
What do you want to change?
afaik, just the colour.....

You can also get the calipers painted in any colour you want of course, ideally using powder coating, which would mean calipers need to come off.....
alternatively you can get special caliper paint, for a DIY job, both spraycan and brush....
You can even do that on the car

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can look into getting them painted. What type of shop do I look for? I know of one wrap/paint shop and will ask them.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ahhh ok. If only change color.
Its easy to be done.
I personally like the yellow capiler in any Stelvio color code.
Mine is white on yellow.
I also have a 4C.. and its red on red... I will do it.. to yellow.
And they stick a "Alfa Romeo" or Brembo on it before the clear coated vernish... to finish it nicely.
Here in Portugal I was asked more or less 200euros for the front and rear.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I can look into getting them painted. What type of shop do I look for? I know of one wrap/paint shop and will ask them.
for caliper.. only paint.. no wrap or plasti-dip...

Here is one of the best guys that do that kind of jobs here in Portugal.

·
Registered
340 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Pepboys sells a paint kit that you can do yourself. But it wont be a nice as having them powder coated. But it doesnt require you taking them off at least.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone able to change to larger disc and caliper on Stelvio without computer error? I was told we can't change becuase it's electrical brake and hooked up to BCM.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sounds like your just after a certain look?

Paint the Rotors don't replace them get a Brembo sticker and you will be all set.
Those stock Calibers and Rotors will be just fine and once painted look great.

This is the look U want

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah .I did mine Yellow. I wanted more stopping power plus look. The rear brembo caliper is smaller to my liking. Nevertheless, they are really good brakes than most at that similair size.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Agreed, as long as the brakes are sufficient to engage the abs (lock up and flat spot tires in days past) stopping distances will be improved by the tires.
That aside, you can get lighter rotors which probably dont dissipate heat as well, or pads that last longer on the track - but bigger is a big issue.
I would guess if you went crazy and switched to the bigger quad Cc rotors and calipers that the computer would be fine with it, as it's based on impending lockup which varies a lot from ice to warm track days with corsas.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Agreed, as long as the brakes are sufficient to engage the abs (lock up and flat spot tires in days past) stopping distances will be improved by the tires.
That aside, you can get lighter rotors which probably dont dissipate heat as well, or pads that last longer on the track - but bigger is a big issue.
I would guess if you went crazy and switched to the bigger quad Cc rotors and calipers that the computer would be fine with it, as it's based on impending lockup which varies a lot from ice to warm track days with corsas.
With larger calipers, one has to make sure the master cylinder is also capable of handling it as well

1 - 18 of 18 Posts