Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
196 Posts
@GMJ,

How many miles on your 2018 4cyl Stelvio?

The reason I'm asking is because the misfire issue on the 4cyl engine has been brought up a couple of times on the Giulia Forum, and for at least three times (that I can remember) it's been traced back to a stretched out of it's service range Serpentine Belt (Accessory Belt)!

Here's a passage form a recent post:
"In the meantime I changed the serpentine belt since I didn't know the service history on it, and this is a 2017 with 60,000 miles on it. Seemed like the original belt. Whaddaya know, after installing a new OEM belt the rough cold start is gone and I have been unable to reproduce the issues, and cold starts are now butter smooth. The common denominator on these issues seems to have been months when the A/C is in use, in winter it's the defroster obviously and in summer just because it's hot. I popped open the service manual to the diagnostics pages for PCM misfire codes and the first thing it says to check for is a worn serpentine belt. The variations in crankshaft RPM are what set the misfire and rough idle codes. I'm pretty confident calling the issue solved."

LINK: 2.0L Misfire Codes (P300, P303, P363, P05D) - Solved

Hope that helps - report back

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
He said the belt was replaced before this started happening.

Might bring that up to the dealer though, I'm assuming the dealer did the maintenance and used a factory belt. If it was done at an independent place they may have used a generic belt that was a bit too long. Might want to check the work order.

·
Registered
196 Posts
He said the belt was replaced before this started happening.

Might bring that up to the dealer though, I'm assuming the dealer did the maintenance and used a factory belt. If it was done at an independent place they may have used a generic belt that was a bit too long. Might want to check the work order.
@ALFAOFFROAD

Which Post # in this thread did the OP = @GMJ (RED STELVIO) , write that he already replaced his Stelvio Accessory Belt? :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
^^^^ No Problem - thought that maybe I missed something from a previous thread!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Just took my car in the dealer today cause it had a engine light with the auto start stop disabled I plugged in the obdi my self it said cylinder 4 misfiring so waiting to see what’s that about since it started happing ever since 2 weeks ago when I took the car in for service to change the spark plugs serpentine belt cabin filter etc and the car only has 36K miles on it 🤦🏽‍♂️ At this point just thinking either ti sell the stelvio and lease a 2022 or a just go into a different brand
Hi Kanan238,
If you'd like any additional assistance alongside your dealer, feel free to send us a PM. We'd be happy to help.

Sarah
Alfa Romeo Cares

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo stelvio 2.0 Ti sport awd
58 Posts
Hi Kanan238,
If you'd like any additional assistance alongside your dealer, feel free to send us a PM. We'd be happy to help.

Sarah
Alfa Romeo Cares
Hey thanks for the reply at the moment they working on my car and put me in a loaner if any issues coke up I’ll be sure to pm you guys for additional concerns to resolve it thanks for the reply anyhow I’ll keep you guys updated .

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had my 2019 Stelvio Quad for 2 years almost to the day. The car has 20k miles on it. I've had this issue since around 7K on the odometer. Same symptoms...some days no "Service Engine" light, other days okay. Regardless of the situation, the car misfires upon initial cold start. The car has been to the dealer at least 6 times via tow by Alfa Care for the same problem. They've changed plugs, ignition coils, did some "deep cleaning with some MOPAR fluid" on multiple occasions and a few days later, it reappears. It is a crapshoot every time I turn the car on. The worst part about it is that the car is stuck in N mode (it is fast enough and drivable in this mode, not like a true "limp" mode) and I can't change to D or Race which defeats the whole purpose of this car. On cold start, it always sounds like a Echo 2-stroke weed whacker since it misfires like no other and feels like the car is about to agitate the engine loose. A couple minutes later after warming up a little, it sounds like a Hyundai. It's a love/hate relationship with this thing! My worry is when it comes time to smog this thing and the "Service Engine" light is on!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I feel Your pain even tho I drive the v4 it still sucks mine started happen only after I replaced the spark plugs serpentine belt engine filter etc at 36K miles and your right it sucks because the car is stuck on N mode at least on your quad you still have plenty of power on the v4 the powers get weak and specially on N mode hoping the dealer fix the issue the car hasn’t gave me no other problems in the 8 months of owner ship hopefully your quad doesn’t give any more issues too I know Alfa is a reliable brand but I heard good and bad things about it lol 🤦🏽‍♂️

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio
3 Posts
I told The service rep this today actually lol told me before I changed everything the car was fine after I changed all of that stuff I been getting misfires and engine lights for the past 2 weeks at first Bret said it was the sensor for the air filter that was loose which was bullshit but I told them this today to check the entire car to see what’s the issue they seem alittle In Competent at westbury alfa Romeo ( Long Island New York ) 🤦🏽‍♂️
I feel your pain about incompetence. Leith ARM of Raleigh fits that description exactly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We all have those type dealers I swear they are the worst 🤦🏽‍♂️ Cause I love the Alfa brand just these dealers make you wanna hate/love it

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've had my 2019 Stelvio Quad for 2 years almost to the day. The car has 20k miles on it. I've had this issue since around 7K on the odometer. Same symptoms...some days no "Service Engine" light, other days okay. Regardless of the situation, the car misfires upon initial cold start. The car has been to the dealer at least 6 times via tow by Alfa Care for the same problem. They've changed plugs, ignition coils, did some "deep cleaning with some MOPAR fluid" on multiple occasions and a few days later, it reappears. It is a crapshoot every time I turn the car on. The worst part about it is that the car is stuck in N mode (it is fast enough and drivable in this mode, not like a true "limp" mode) and I can't change to D or Race which defeats the whole purpose of this car. On cold start, it always sounds like a Echo 2-stroke weed whacker since it misfires like no other and feels like the car is about to agitate the engine loose. A couple minutes later after warming up a little, it sounds like a Hyundai. It's a love/hate relationship with this thing! My worry is when it comes time to smog this thing and the "Service Engine" light is on!
Hi Amstellt,
If you need any additional assistance, feel free to send us a PM as well.

Sarah
Alfa Romeo Cares

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Not a great experience !
But it does sound like a similar problem to mine.
mine is booked in for 20th October.
ill send an update with the results.

·
Registered
196 Posts
@GMJ

RE: Built-In Belt Stretch Indicator on 2.0 Liter

If you're interested, here's something you can do in the meantime.

Raise the hood, look into the front of the engine compartment with a flashlight.

Find the Belt Tensioner Arm/Pully Assembly (Part #4) on the diagram below.

If you look carefully at the TOP of the assembly, you'll see an ARROW cast on the top of the tensioner arm that has a pully on it.

The arrow points at a RECTANGLE that is cast on the part of the assembly that does not move.

As long as the arrow is within the L/R borders of the rectangle, and the belt isn't fraying, you're A-OK!

Factory Part Number for a replacement belt on a 2.0 is: 68326261AA

Here's a pic of my Stelvio's Belt Indicator at 21,246 Miles, and the built-in gauge shows that there's almost no stretch

OK - When standing in front of your Stelvio, the belt tensioner pushes/tensions to the right hand side.

When looking at the built-ingauge, the right hand side/range of the RECTANGLE = belt is in good condition.
The left hand side of the rectangle indicates a belt is in a worn condition.

The factory calls for the belt to be changed at 30,000 Miles / 4 Years

Hope this helps!

Take a pic and post what your gauge looks like (along with letting us know the miles).

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Rim

·
Registered
58 Posts
Update - when i went to change my spark plugs serptine belt etc they put a set of bad plugs in according to the service manager that’s why my car went in to limp mode 3 times in 2 weeks they replaced all the spark plugs today and got the car back and been driving smooth so far . Hope no other issues rises up lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
The 2021 loaner stelvio I was was nice though kinda wanna sell my 18 and lease a 22 😂 might go that route if the payments not bad

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
@GMJ

RE: Built-In Belt Stretch Indicator on 2.0 Liter

If you're interested, here's something you can do in the meantime.

Raise the hood, look into the front of the engine compartment with a flashlight.

Find the Belt Tensioner Arm/Pully Assembly (Part #4) on the diagram below.

If you look carefully at the TOP of the assembly, you'll see an ARROW cast on the top of the tensioner arm that has a pully on it.

The arrow points at a RECTANGLE that is cast on the part of the assembly that does not move.

As long as the arrow is within the L/R borders of the rectangle, and the belt isn't fraying, you're A-OK!

Factory Part Number for a replacement belt on a 2.0 is: 68326261AA

Here's a pic of my Stelvio's Belt Indicator at 21,246 Miles, and the built-in gauge shows that there's almost no stretch

OK - When standing in front of your Stelvio, the belt tensioner pushes/tensions to the right hand side.

When looking at the built-ingauge, the right hand side/range of the RECTANGLE = belt is in good condition.
The left hand side of the rectangle indicates a belt is in a worn condition.

The factory calls for the belt to be changed at 30,000 Miles.

Hope this helps!

Take a pic and post what your gauge looks like (along with letting us know the miles).

View attachment 23590
Thank you very helpful
I will check this today

21 - 40 of 63 Posts