Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday we went in for our test drive. Nice dealership, small, all glass front, complete sunlight hitting every car (Alfa's, Maseratis, Ferraris). They do have the most stelvios in stock or in transit so they are a pretty "big" dealership in that way.

My husband walks in and goes right to the first car he walks into - a Misano Blue Guilia -stunning color in or out of the sun. He looks down and says OMG look at the orange peel in this paint job :eek::eek:
I look closer and the entire car is horribly orange peeled. We walk over to the Red Stelvio (not the upcharge red) and again stunning but horribly orange peeled, the entire car again.
Is this Italian "painting" Can you all check your paint? Do you see orange peel?

My current car has a few spots on it with OP but its minimal and logical the way they paint and you can only notice if you really look at the right spots on mine. Not a big deal but these cars were entirely covered. We were kind of aghast. Bad batch got to the dealership or is this the norm? I do not like that look if that s true. Looks like it need to be wet sanded....yikes. I did not say anything or question while we were at the dealership..

They are supposed to be getting two Green/Verde delivered next week, they say its in Port Newark now but they are holding up cars at the port..I will explain what they said about that in a separate post to keep the discussions separate. I'm going back next week to see what the green looks like and I'm going to check out more cars there to see if all the paint looks that way.

Interested in owners thoughts on their paint.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I didn't check the paint on any when we went but will have to pay closer attention next time. Orange peel bothers me too.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
years ago I noticed orange peel on virtually all new cars using modern paint and methods.
sadly it is so normal now that for the most part I don't fixate on it anymore - and it doesn't seem any different on the Alfas than other new cars.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
years ago I noticed orange peel on virtually all new cars using modern paint and methods.
sadly it is so normal now that for the most part I don't fixate on it anymore - and it doesn't seem any different on the Alfas than other new cars.
I hear you but this was literally the whole car, I've never seen so bad - that's why I ask if it was purposeful, or a bad batch of painting, it does not seem right at all.
I mentioned I do have some on my current car and don't nit pick about it but this was not the normal to me especially for a luxury car. My cars paint is pretty perfect except for a few small patches.
We have two luxury and two non luxury cars and none of the paint looks like that This was the whole car and you could not miss it. When I'm back in there I will try to take a photo. I hope its not true of all the Alfa's. We were pretty shocked I have to admit.
I'm curious to look at the Maseratis and Ferraris in there too to compare..

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have no idea what orange peel looks like! what do you mean? The car is red but it looks orange? never seen it! Pictures will definitely help. Thanks.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm impressed with the paint quality on my stelvio, glossy and smooth. I didn't note any orange peel anywhere.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
a lot of guys on the giulia forum send their cars to detailers - many before driving them - for various protective coatings.
although some may involve buffing, which would/should cut down on orange peel, I have never heard it mentioned on that forum.
I certainly don't think the stelvio paint is any different than the guilia paint, and I don't see it as different than mb/bmw etc quality.
short of top line bentleys I really don't see anything with a 30 coat hand rubbed laquer mirror finish anymore. everything is plenty shiny, but not perfect mirror finish.

but your eyes may be better than mine, or your expectations higher.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm impressed with the paint quality on my stelvio, glossy and smooth. I didn't note any orange peel anywhere.
Exactly it should be smooth and not bumpy and dimply like an orange peel skin..
I know it shouldn't look like that. No cars paint is absolutely perfect but it should be mostly. Both of the cars were covered, not a small patch on a tricky angle to paint (mine is on the top of a line on my backdoor, only noticeable at certain angle and the other patch is on a similar sharp angle on my hatchback) Neither is a big deal at all to me, I just notice it because I detail my car closely.

If I ordered my Stelvio and it arrived and I saw the paint like that (what I saw on the showroom cars - ironically) I would have to refuse it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have no idea what orange peel looks like! what do you mean? The car is red but it looks orange? never seen it! Pictures will definitely help. Thanks.
The paint finish is sort of bumpy and dimply like the skin of an orange peel.
Next time I am in the dealer I will take some pictures of the actual cars at the dealership, these photos are examples online

It is a type of paint finish which is why I asked if it was purposeful or not. Most think its a paint defect. I personally don't like it on cars. I like totally smooth glossy paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
Next time I am in the dealer I will take some pictures of the actual cars at the dealership, these photos are examples online

It is a type of paint finish which is why I asked if it was purposeful or not. Most think its a paint defect. I personally don't like it on cars. I like totally smooth glossy paint.

Oh ok, so the reference to orange peel is NOT the color at all but the bumpiness that likens it to the surface of the peel !!! Thanks for the explanation. Duh! I get it now.

·
Registered
381 Posts
orange peel?

Weeks ago -at certain angles - I noticed some orange peel on the rear deck lid on my Charcoal black. BUT, nowhere else on the body. All I thought of as the time was that maybe my rear got repainted at the factory or at the port. It's not THAT noticeable but it's evident if you're a car guy. (or gal, lol)

·
Registered
241 Posts
My beautiful red Audi S5 has some orange peel under certain light conditions. So does my Porsche 944 Turbo which is black.

I think silver paint is less likely to show orange peel. We are picking up our Misano Blue Stelvio this morning. I now have two major issues to inspect:

1. Paint
2. Brake system recall

Hoping both are non-issues. Will let everyone know what I find.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Weeks ago -at certain angles - I noticed some orange peel on the rear deck lid on my Charcoal black. BUT, nowhere else on the body. All I thought of as the time was that maybe my rear got repainted at the factory or at the port. It's not THAT noticeable but it's evident if you're a car guy. (or gal, lol)
Yes, I don't want to seem overly picky, there are some certain minor paint flaws that are acceptable like the areas on our cars we speak of. I point alot of things out just because I'm a perfectionist/detailer but it wouldn't cause me to refuse the car. The way both of these cars looked I would have to refuse it. This was literally the entire panels, sides of car, etc. I actually did not look close at the hood I was so aghast looking at the panels. It was very excessive to me. I'm anxious to get back there and look at it again and see the new cars coming in from the port to compare. The cars were in extreme sunlight but my current car sits in extreme sun sometimes when its out of the garage and it in no way looks like the paint on the cars I saw. Hope its a fluke.

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
I tend to be a little obsessive about details-- ours, and all of the ones we looked at closely-- had superb finishes. That said, they weren't 'cleaned up'. Other vehicles Do have a sprayed protective coating on the lower side panels where they might get stone damage but even then I didn't notice anything like that. This is a world class manufacturing plant in Cassina so I would be very surprised if it passed inspection. There are a number of YouTube vids showing off the production of these vehicles. Maybe a protective coating to prevent shipping damage?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I checked my Stromboli grey stelvio and the paint is flawless. Better than any car I have purchased.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I stopped by my local dealer - I didn't examine little edges etc, but as far as I'm concerned the paint quality is as good as or better than other euro brands.
and I have personally hand rubbed laquer finishes because I don't like orange peel.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I think there's something up with those cars, no way alfa would have paint like that, I was floored. Anxious to go back there now and really look at them again and take some photos..
As long as my Verde or Misano Blue looks good.... :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yeah, I think there's something up with those cars, no way alfa would have paint like that, I was floored. Anxious to go back there now and really look at them again and take some photos..
As long as my Verde or Misano Blue looks good.... :)
Hey if they are that bad and can be fixed maybe there is a deal to be had on those cars!! Is severe orange peel fixable??

·
Registered
241 Posts
My beautiful red Audi S5 has some orange peel under certain light conditions. So does my Porsche 944 Turbo which is black.

I think silver paint is less likely to show orange peel. We are picking up our Misano Blue Stelvio this morning. I now have two major issues to inspect:

1. Paint
2. Brake system recall

Hoping both are non-issues. Will let everyone know what I find.
The Misano Blue has minimal orange peel. I believe most, if not all, modern cars have some degree of orange peel. So zero issue on paint.

I plugged my VIN number into the FCA recall website and it did not show a recall, so either my Stelvio has proper brake fluid, or Alfa has not yet updated the affected VINs.

My wife loves the Misano Blue. I like it too but would also be very happy with either of the reds or the green.

Forza Alfa! (stealing from Ferrari, I know, but it sounds so good!)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts