Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced a chirping noise coming from the right side of the dash? It is intermittent, somewhat speed sensitive, often aggravated by bumps, and is eliminated by turning off the HVAC system. Dealer thinks it's a blow motor in the HVAC system.

Not sure if related, but also have one FM channel with extra poor quality sound. Other FM, Sirius, USB and Bluetooth are all fine. Dealer is going to try an infotainment update.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Likely a bad blower motor, or something in the heater box, maybe a leaf.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It happens to me too. Here you can see it in a video. If you realize when I turn off the fan the sound goes off little by little so it sure is the fan. I have 8,500 km In the review of the 15,000 I will notify the dealer to fix it or change it.

Aquí:

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
eeekkk, that sound drives me crazy just listening to the video!

·
Registered
4 Posts
HVAC Chirping - it is a real thing & wicked annoying!

We purchased our 2018 Stelvio in Aug 2017. During the Fall months of 2017, we started noticing the chirping noise within the HVAC when the weather got colder. We notice it most when outside temps are below 40 degrees F. We have also noticed that the chirping cadence increases with acceleration. Makes perfect sense as the blower motor would get a surge from the serpentine belt spinning faster. Not sure if it is the blower motor itself or something related to the fan blades. Definitely not a leaf though so don't settle on that or let the dealer dismiss you.

Regardless, the chirping is wicked annoying. We have had the car to the dealer several times. Unfortunately, the chirping is intermittent and hard to replicate for diagnosis. We need more owners with the issue to come forward and complain to get action. Dealer tells us to 'just enjoy the car' - really hard to when annoyed most of the time...

I plan to go back to the dealer and push the blower motor/fan as the source of the issue. I will not rest until this is addressed and fixed.

As a side note, we have had the stelvio in several times for gasketing issues around windows and the windshield cowl - not impressed with the mechanics and I have had to instruct them what to look at and how to address the issues. Overall it does not seem the mechanics are well prepared for this first generation. Let this be a lesson to all buying a first generation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you're right. I still did not wear it. I'm waiting for the first review to say it. The noise is similar to yours, when it is colder it is more annoying and does not always sound. The worst thing is that I do not know that they have to dismantle to access the fan and at least disassemble the mechanics much better.

We purchased our 2018 Stelvio in Aug 2017. During the Fall months of 2017, we started noticing the chirping noise within the HVAC when the weather got colder. We notice it most when outside temps are below 40 degrees F. We have also noticed that the chirping cadence increases with acceleration. Makes perfect sense as the blower motor would get a surge from the serpentine belt spinning faster. Not sure if it is the blower motor itself or something related to the fan blades. Definitely not a leaf though so don't settle on that or let the dealer dismiss you.

Regardless, the chirping is wicked annoying. We have had the car to the dealer several times. Unfortunately, the chirping is intermittent and hard to replicate for diagnosis. We need more owners with the issue to come forward and complain to get action. Dealer tells us to 'just enjoy the car' - really hard to when annoyed most of the time...

I plan to go back to the dealer and push the blower motor/fan as the source of the issue. I will not rest until this is addressed and fixed.

As a side note, we have had the stelvio in several times for gasketing issues around windows and the windshield cowl - not impressed with the mechanics and I have had to instruct them what to look at and how to address the issues. Overall it does not seem the mechanics are well prepared for this first generation. Let this be a lesson to all buying a first generation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have heard a similar noise, but only a couple of times. And only after Cambir's post, never prior. So I've gone about 3500 miles without it appearing. I agree it does sound like something in the fan housing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@vallansa not yet...blower motor arrived this week, so will be taking it in probably next week for replacement.

They will also be replacing my warped fuel door.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Absolutely not a leaf or anything stuck in there. It is speed sensitive, temp sensitive, and super annoying. I have just over 3k miles too.

Mine was intermittent as well. The advisor came out and listened while parked and we couldn't reproduce. As I drove away, it happened again, so I drove right back and they immediately got a tech to go ride with me. They heard it, identified it, gave me a loaner, talked with Alfa who said they have had a few reports of this (I think they must have been able to isolate it because the day they returned the car to me the noise had stopped...maybe temporarily lubricated?).

Blow motor was ordered on Alfa's recommendation. Then Alfa assigned a rep to my "case" who continued to follow up with me via email and phone on the delivery of the part.

I will follow up when replaced!

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
... Then Alfa assigned a rep to my "case" who continued to follow up with me via email and phone on the delivery of the part.
I was told by my service manager that this is supposed happen for almost every service issue on the 2018's (not sure if does/doesn't also apply to the 2017's), the dealer is supposed to be reporting the case to Alfa where they are supposed to do a phone follow-up to get customer feedback.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine was made in July 2017. Do you know if you have to disassemble many parts of the car to change the fan?

·
Registered
4 Posts
blower motor replaced

I was at the dealership yesterday and got the BLOWER MOTOR replaced on our Stelvio. The ride home is our only reference point but it was a positive first ride with no chirping. We will continue to monitor and advise the service team either way once we have logged more rides since the issue we were experiencing was intermittent and we want to ensure that it is 100% resolved. The chirping also did not start immediately when we purchased the vehicle in August2017. It started in the Fall months after 3K miles and when it got colder out.

For now though, we think we may have success. Make sure you have your dealer submit a case for you and press until you get supported. Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Initially, I thought the chirping was coming from my sunroof on the right side (and i have a post about that). It was only till I coincidentally turned off the air circulation while hearing it that I realized it was actually connected to that - for me anyway. So now, I just keep it off most of the time. I only notice it when I'm travelling over 75 MPH (which is my usual speed but...). If I turn it on at that speed, I hear the chirping / whistling. Once off, its gone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got the car back today with blower motor replaced. Good so far, but outside temp is far too high to reproduce the sound. Will also monitor and hope it's gone for good!

·
Registered
27 Posts
The chirping on my '18 Quad is driving me nuts and also believe it is blower motor. Is the issue solved for those who have had these replaced?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have the same problem with my ti sport also. i might need to contact the dealer.
i only had the car for 2 months. would this be cover under warranty?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts