Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided it was time for a change and have listed my two older manual shift 6 Speed BMW X5s for sale. Once I free up a parking spot I hope to fill it with a Red Ti Sport. In the mean time I hope to find out all I can on what options to look for and what to look out for when buying a used one...

What I'm thinking so far is Definitely a Ti Sport and on top of that I Would like:
Large Pano Moon Roof.
the Upgraded Sound package with the Subwoofer.
Black Interior... maybe the Brown but wish the Dash was fully black. (Prob need to see it in person but buying used I know I'm limited)

I look forward to learning all about what the Stelvio has to offer.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Decided it was time for a change and have listed my two older manual shift 6 Speed BMW X5s for sale. Once I free up a parking spot I hope to fill it with a Red Ti Sport. In the mean time I hope to find out all I can on what options to look for and what to look out for when buying a used one...

What I'm thinking so far is Definitely a Ti Sport and on top of that I Would like:
Large Pano Moon Roof.
Black Interior... maybe the Brown but wish the Dash was fully black. (Prob need to see it in person but buying used I know I'm limited)

I'm flashy so I liked the red interior. I would skip the upgraded sound system. Just not worth it to me unless you are leasing. I'd replace the stock speakers and add a sub if you can.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Large Pano Moon Roof.

I pretty much have exactly the vehicle you want. My suggestions: HK stereo is seriously lacking in the bass department. Figure on buying a powered subwoofer and installing under the rear cargo area (yes, I know my car has a sub in it already, but you’d NEVER know it). I would also make sure you get it with as much of the factory warranty left as possible. This is for obvious reasons. Adaptive cruise control is AWESOME. Seriously, it’s a game changer for me. Never thought I’d enjoy it this much, but it’s really nice to have! I’d probably stick with a 2019 if you can find one. Seems like they have fewer glitches. You should be able to get a pretty smoking deal on one between now and the end of the year! Best of luck in your search!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the adaptive cruise control... that is a definite from what I've read. how can i tell if it has it by looking. is it just the sensors in the front lower grill?

regarding the stereo I'm not looking for super loud bass or anything. just figured the bass is enough to fill out the sound. If i were to spend money i would look into one of the android head units. I've used them in the past with good luck and see they make them for the Stelvio... can get my WAZE and youtube TV on there. I'd hate to be buying a newer car just to rip out the speakers.

Unfortunately as one would expect there aren't many used 2019's out there, and the ones that are out there are a bit more than i'd want to spend.

Regarding any glitches... is this something that I can have a dealer address with a software update if I say the right stuff?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have this car without the stereo. Its the one thing I had to give up in looking for the car on a dealer lot. I luv the brown interior with the black dash. This car is fun to drive every day.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes, the adaptive cruise control... that is a definite from what I've read. how can i tell if it has it by looking. is it just the sensors in the front lower grill?

You look at the steering wheel. There's a special button for it on the left that looks like a car on a railroad track. Stelvio without the adaptive cruise control should have a blank button there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First of all, hi all!

Sorry if this is deviating slightly from the thread origin.

Adaptive cruise control is AWESOME. Seriously, it’s a game changer for me. Never thought I’d enjoy it this much, but it’s really nice to have!
I have a Stelvio on order (no build date yet so am sure that I can make some changes to my spec) but didn't request the ACC. My reasoning was that, having experienced adaptive systems from other brands, I didn't particularly find it helpful as the radar pick-up , even when adjusted down was so far ahead (the faster the speed, the further ahead it looked) and so the speed would die rather noticeably even when a long way behind any other road users.

Am I right in thinking that with the Alfa system (unlike others I have tried where it is active only), both regular (fixed speed) cruise control is a usable function even with ACC spec'd? What kind of gap ranges does the Alfa ACC allow to the traffic in front? If it is as flexible as I am now inclined to believe, I may add it to my spec. Any guidance or user anecdotes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I find ACC very useful, it has 4 settings as how close you want to keep your distance from the vehicle in front. This distance varies with your speed (slower = shorter distance).

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The ACC varies how aggressive/calmly it drives by mode.

D will be most aggressive and A the least.

Personally, combined with the adjustable distance I find it very usable in traffic, slows down and speeds up quite nice. Not as aggressive as I would be....but that is probably good....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gator1, AlfaOffRoad, thanks for the input.

I can see and appreciate ACC being useful in certain situations, particularly where there is regulation in place for motorway (freeway) repair works - nearly everywhere it seems at the moment and on main roads/bypasses where traffic is moving but no chance of overtaking. Otherwise, I'll just drive (I'm not one for attempting to complete a whole journey only by steering input as some people I know have tried in some cars) or I'll set a speed and that'll be it. Normal motorway conditions, using standard cruise control, fix the speed and let it go feels like I'm more in control, for if I need to feather the speed and when to do this. It was the lack of this aspect that put me off specifying the option as at the time, I thought it was an instead of speed control option but from what I have now seen (please correct me if I am wrong) it appears to be an additional feature of the cruise control system?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yes.

Also, if you give it gas the system gives you control pretty seamlessly. This car doesn't out think you....and never tries to stop you from speeding up...seems happier....

I thought it was worthless till I had reason to use it for a trip..really did make a stressful thing less so. Still think it is something for certain situations only. Not everyday, I generally drive myself...but it can come in handy and works well when it does.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree...I'm impressed by the ACC, and it goes on the list of NEEDs for any future vehicle (along with heated seats).

What I like best is when you're on a 2 lane road (where you are not allowed to pass) you just set it and sit back and let it pace
the car in front.

·
Registered
268 Posts
ACC is a must-have (at least for your sanity) if you drive regularly in rush hour traffic.

·
Registered
63 Posts
ACC in the Alfa works quite well, better than the system I had in my Toyota and Lexus, not quite as well as Autopilot in Tesla, but that's sort of another level.

It is especially great in stop and go traffic. One "quirk" I've found that it requires you to hit the gas pedal to get going again from full stop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My dealer in Newport News found my Stelvio in New Jersey with what I thought was essential.

1) Dynamic driver assist - most important is the adaptive cruise including full stop
2) Static driver assist - really like the collision warning stuff
3) Performance package - while the adjustable dampers are a nice to have, the mechanical limited-slip differential was essential
4) Leather package - the leather covering and stitching on the dash and doors makes me smile every time I get in the car
5) Ti Sport package to get the paddle shifters

We waited until we could find one equipped like this (also in the Tri-colore competizione rosso!) because it's what we wanted and felt it best to get what we wanted rather than gribble later.

Phil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine pulls away when the lead car moves. You might (as I have in the past) not set the adaptive cruise to adjust the distance. At the far end of the range, you'll sit for a while until the car in front is far enough away before the car will follow.

Phil

1 - 17 of 17 Posts