1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't have an account either and hate subscribing when there's recurring charges. Though from the imagine alone, I assume Clarkson is a big fan of the Stelvio's exterior design, as kids, wall space was reserved for posters of high performance cars we wish to own one day.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Absolutely gotta love Clarkson reviews and this one about the Alfa, although it may not seem so at first, is a glowing one. I think we can all agree with him to the extent that the Q5 is just... horrible. But after reading this passage:

And because of that — because it’s a big, practical car with a huge boot and folding seats and lots of cubbyholes that’s also an Alfa Romeo — it’s the only SUV that’s quite tempting. It may even be irresistible when Alfa launches the version with the 500-horsepower petrol engine.
It really says a lot.

·
Registered
149 Posts
That's high praise coming from someone like Clarkson as I've seen him pick apart the Maserati Levante, a vehicle I thought to be quite nice for a brands first foray into the segment.

But the Stelvio seems to be checking off every box that counts including a precise steering system. Most people I know don't really care if the sat nav is tricky to use, that's what Google Maps is for.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I never use the sat nav. I'll have my phone on a vent mount or something with Google Maps open. It's seriously a waste for me to have it, but I always keep the maps up on the nav screen because it looks pretty classy lol.

·
Registered
149 Posts
One problem that clarkson does notice is the 7in height difference it has compared to the saloon and it has longer springs, but with the the same superfast steering setup. Something to note when drivers need to make quick adjustments on the road.

·
Registered
205 Posts
At the end of the day not too many people will concern themselves with all these facts because the key fact is, THIS is the next best thing to a Porsche Cayenne/Macan, maybe better. We haven't had anything merely close to that since the Cayenne/Macan came out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think aside from the Jaguar F-Pace, the Porsche Cayenne/Macan has reigned the performance SUV segment for the longest time. The Stelvio will bring some much needed variety to the fold. There's also a beastly Jeep TrackHawk, but it doesn't have the same brand prestige as the aforementioned three.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The Trackhawk doesn't have the same brand prestige nor do people think of anything other than performance when it comes to that. A lot will think it'll lack the creature comforts and luxuries that the Cayenne and F-Pace undoubtedly bring.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think aside from the Jaguar F-Pace, the Porsche Cayenne/Macan has reigned the performance SUV segment for the longest time. The Stelvio will bring some much needed variety to the fold. There's also a beastly Jeep TrackHawk, but it doesn't have the same brand prestige as the aforementioned three.
The problem I see is size. The Cayenne can comfortably seat adults in the back seat. The F-Pace, Macan and Stelvio cannot.

Jeff

·
Registered
146 Posts
Most reviews don't really mention the rear seats, how spacious and comfortable they are. Did you get a chance to sit in one and find out?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Most reviews don't really mention the rear seats, how spacious and comfortable they are. Did you get a chance to sit in one and find out?
I sat in the back before my test drive and it was comfortable - plenty of headroom and leg room. I'm 6'1".

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's always good. Do you think it would be comfortable for 3 adults to sit in the rear for an extended period of time or would that be a bit of a squeeze?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hard to say since most reviewers don't really pay much attention to seat space back there. All I know is that the headroom is a little tight, but the rear seats can comfortably fit two adults. Three for a long trip may be pushing it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Even just looking at how the roof slopes down it shouldn't impact head room all that much. Alfa was conservative with styling and didn't go crazy like Mercedes and its GLE Coupe. How often would you have rear passengers?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts