Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you guys keeping your calipers (yellow, red or black with white script) clean? Is there some kind of tool that Griot's Garage sells for this purpose?

·
Registered
381 Posts
wheel brush

How are you guys keeping your calipers (yellow, red or black with white script) clean? Is there some kind of tool that Griot's Garage sells for this purpose?
here's the only one to use - especially if you have wheels that come with the factory Sport Package (US version)
works great - not cheap since it's Griot's Garage...comes in 2 sizes, I went with the JUMBO size since I'm also able to clean the inside of my wheels with it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
I purchased a very similar item as tipo949 on Amazon which I intend to use and do most washing in the driveway. US$17.99 plus free shipping with Prime: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RQJQ8P/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My son-in-law did detailing for a dealership for a few years and he suggested a pressure washer however an electric pressure washer is a PIA with 3 connections to keep track of (electric line, supply hose, and pressure hose). I have 2X gone to the spray hand wash bay in arctic weather with Stelvio and the pressure hose did a decent job on the wheels.

I have vowed no auto car wash with brushes (i.e. sand blasting scrubbers) will touch this vehicle for at least 40K miles because I HATE microscratches. See how this works out!:crying

·
Registered
49 Posts
Which chemicals are you all using for wheels/calipers? I am using the Adams Wheel cleaner and I am a bit nervous that they may have made them a bit dull.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I use Adams Eco Wheel cleaner for the regular washes and when real dirty the Regular Adams wheel cleaner. Never let the chemical dry on. I use a pump sprayer to make it easier to get the chemical on. I use a couple sizes of Wheel Whoolies to agitate the chemical and give a very good rinse. I had the rims powder coated black. After drying I wipe them down with Adams Detail spray and get inside the deep barrels to keep them all nice and glossy.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Soap and water because my detailer synthetic waxes them for me. Anything more elbow grease required can wait until my twice a year detail. Mostly because I hate cleaning things to the point where I’ve jobbed most of my cleaning out.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Ardex MAG OEM Wheel Cleaner 6226 is what the prods use. Keeps all my wheels and calipers clean even on track cars. Ardex makes product for the industry from finishers etc. Look in most detail, garages, dealership service areas and you will find Ardex products. They even have a stronger cleaner for those **** old metallic Brake dust laden BMW wheels etc. Very Toxic but will get off the worst nightmares of buildup.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Just out of interest, how long do most of you go without washing your cars?

I only ask cause I generally wash every 2 days with a wash/wax I make myself and I have been amazed at theses wheels/calipers. Without a doubt the cleanest wheels I've ever had and it seems like brake dust just doesn't build up at all even on the caliper.

It could be I rarely drive in stop and go traffic so I don't use my brakes in the same ways..or nearly as much as I did when living in LA (what I am comparing to really), but this is the first car I've owned where I don't think about cleaning the wheels, just wash with the car.

·
Registered
403 Posts
YES if the callipers are properly ceramic coated it will be easier to clean.

The Ceramic coating will not let the dirt "stick" as much and easier to blast off.

Ceramic coated wheels are the same, the inner barrels are much easier to keep clean in winter if you live in the snow.

Most important thing to remember is not to let the cleaning chemicals dry on the wheels or callipers and do it when they are cool to touch not hot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts