Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my Stelvio Ti used and sight unseen off the internet. Fortunately, it came from a reputable Chrysler dealer who did a pretty job cleaning the vehicle. However, upon arrival and driving home, I noticed two things that need to be cleaned:

1. Makeup on the steering wheel and driver's door handle -- the steering wheel itself had sparkles on it (stripper?) but the main part is two or three streaks of what looks like base makeup (foundation according to my wife) on the hub of the steering wheel. I constantly stare at it. I saw 2 videos of YT from detailers who suggested A) wiping with the short nap of a microfiber cloth with Meguier's All Purpose Cleaner dilute 10:1 or B) same cloth but Citrol 266 4:1. I can't find either in small amounts, only gallons or aerosol. Any suggestions?

2. Subwoofer cover: Obviously, something white (milk, paint?) spilled through the holes on the subwoofer. Again, YT video showed spray it down and use an air compressor recirculated someway to create suction. How about just blowing it out with the compression? Or shop vac after spraying?

Any ideas welcome,

Thanks

·
Registered
428 Posts
I use Adams products and I feel they are some of the best out there. Chemical Bros is also one but I prefer the Adams line up

You can start with the Leather and Interior cleaner and the brush they sell. They have many videos as well on their site and You tube. The Leather conditioner is fantastic. Not greasy at all and just leaves a great matte finish. Same goes with the Interior detailer, not that awful shiny finish, just a nice non greasy matte clean look.

Check them out, they always post a 15% off code and their customer service is the best.

Their Detail spray and Ultra Plush Drying towel will have you out of the car wash in minutes looking so good.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My two cents would be to use a nonalcohol containing makeup remover towelettes like the Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes in a spot no bigger than a dime. I would dampen a Qtip with the cleanser and work on a small area, dime sized, in a least visible location. Your wife may even have these already. Then wipe off with water dampened cloth and dry. For the subwoofer cover, I would take a soft bristled toothbrush and using a vacuum hose lightly brush and vacuum while working with the brush. I too have a few spots in my car to clean off. As a cheap back up Lexol has leather cleaner and conditioner in small pint sized bottles. PS let us know what you did and the results of what worked.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Makeup Remover Towelettes is a good choice to try Angel Rain. I was going to suggest cold cream to remove the makeup. As far as the sub cover, I would remove it and put it in the utility sink and use a soft brush on it. While the covers off you could carefully wipe the cone of the speaker. If it is white paint with the cover off you could spray paint it black and it would look like new.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree with the subwoofer cover removal jttar, just wasn't sure if Emotional felt comfortable enough to take off the cover. Which would also allow inspection of the subwoofer behind the it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks so much for the help. I cleaned three areas of my Stelvio Ti today and made them look like new.

1. Carbon covered tips: Whoever had this vehicle before me let the chrome tips get covered in black soot/carbon deposits. I used a Meguiar's Chrome cleaner with a towel initially and got about 40% of the deposits. I sprayed liberally 4-5 additional time and used aluminum foil (I saw the trick on YT). That worked well. No scratches and cleared the deposits but I will say please keep a heavy layer of chrome cleaner and spray close with a towel protecting overspray onto the plastic bumper and paint.

2. Subwoofer cover: I don't know what spilled on it but it was white and tough to remove. Also, I found that part I thought was a white spill was actually where something had bumped it and changed the direction of the weave, creating a white look (reflection). I use Meguiar's interior cleaner, Simply Awesome and Goo Gone, all with a firm toothbrush. The Simply Awesome cleared 80% of the white but it was still apparent. Then, I took a fine tip Sharpie and used my art skills (pointillism) to gently put a tiny pin point of black ink over all the white and the weave that was reflecting. #Boom

3. Make up on steering wheel hub and steering wheel -- I looked at a bunch of solutions but my brilliant wife suggested Clinique Oil Free eye make up remover. That did it. Used the short nap of a micro fiber cloth to apply and the long side to dry. It took about 4 applications to make it look new. I thought about a moist towelette make up remover but the one's we had had mineral oil in it. I suspected not great for leather.

So, there you go, thanks for all your help. I was able to bridge up from your suggestions to find applications that work.

And Angel, I started to remove the cover but didn't want to dig that deep. Then the Sharpie idea hit me. We use brown Sharpies to cover scratches on our wood furniture so why not in the Stelvio?

Thanks a ton,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts