Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a sports sedan guy for the last 25 years and have always enjoyed the driving experience. I'm currently in a GTI and have truly enjoyed every day that I get to drive the car. Whatever I wind up purchasing needs to meet or exceed that driving experience. I thought the next car would wind up being an Audi A5 or S5 - staying in the VW family of german engineered fun with a step up in the luxury category. I've also looked at a bunch of other cars and researched them ad nauseum - it's what I do.

However, after driving the Giulia (which I really liked but headroom for me was tight), I took a flyer and asked to drive a Stelvio as well. I was honestly shocked at the overall driving engagement of the car along with it's performance and handling. I've now narrowed the search down to the A5/S5 and the Stelvio. I want the total package that comes with the Audi (items that aren't offered on the Alfa), but I just can't get the engagement and connection to the Stelvio out of my system. It's like the car has a way of getting into my consciousness and connects with me - it gets me and what I like most about driving.

My question to the community is do you miss not having things like 360 camera, Lane Keep Assist, Heads up display, touch screen, Apple/Android carplay, and any other missing tech and wish you had bought a different car or does the driving experience trump not having those things every time you drive it?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've been a sports sedan guy for the last 25 years and have always enjoyed the driving experience. I'm currently in a GTI and have truly enjoyed every day that I get to drive the car. Whatever I wind up purchasing needs to meet or exceed that driving experience. I thought the next car would wind up being an Audi A5 or S5 - staying in the VW family of german engineered fun with a step up in the luxury category. I've also looked at a bunch of other cars and researched them ad nauseum - it's what I do.

However, after driving the Giulia (which I really liked but headroom for me was tight), I took a flyer and asked to drive a Stelvio as well. I was honestly shocked at the overall driving engagement of the car along with it's performance and handling. I've now narrowed the search down to the A5/S5 and the Stelvio. I want the total package that comes with the Audi (items that aren't offered on the Alfa), but I just can't get the engagement and connection to the Stelvio out of my system. It's like the car has a way of getting into my consciousness and connects with me - it gets me and what I like most about driving.

My question to the community is do you miss not having things like 360 camera, Lane Keep Assist, Heads up display, touch screen, Apple/Android carplay, and any other missing tech and wish you had bought a different car or does the driving experience trump not having those things every time you drive it?
I don't own one (yet) but struggle with the same things. I hated switching to SUV's from sports sedans/coupes too. I also research tirelessly and when I bought my last car considered all brands luxury or not as I was seeking the drive experience. I tell you I was already falling in love with it and then once I drove it I am stuck on it, even without the tech and I'm coming from a very high-tech car with all those options. The driving experience has me seriously considering doing without a lot of the tech. There are very few SUV's I've driven where I feel as connected to the car and road as the Stelvio. I recently test drive the Cad ST5 and that car could not be more "disconnected" from the road and driving for me. I will definitely need to adjust to no touch screen though. I would Love HUD but maybe future versions will have it. It does have lane keep "warning"(sound only) not assist like my current car. It has a really annoying sound though when you drift out of lane.I would probably shut that off.
It has some other things I'm spoiled with (auto high beam, auto wipers) A 360 camera is really nice, but as long as I minimally have the back up camera I can deal. I'm picky about my cars but realized in my last car search that I probably wont find something completely perfect and live without an option or two if I want to trade off the drive of the car.

I am waiting for Car play minimally though. It has the other tech basics I can live with (Bluetooth, USB port for music loaded on a stick, voice commands) I'm more waiting on pulling the trigger because of some of the conflicting or lack of info about some things. I'm also worried about reliability of the car and dealer/service support (I'm coming off a very bad experience so very sensitive to that). Lastly I was very disappointed on the paint jobs I've seen on the cars at the dealership. Fortunately I am not in a lease and do not have to buy right away. So I am researching and being cautious and hope to order when an official announcement comes out about Car Play and the Hands Free package. I'm hoping the cars I saw with the horrific orange peeling were isolated, others on here say their paint it OK so I'm hopeful.

I think it will really depend upon you personally, I feel I minimally need Car Play and since its coming (as they say) and I am able to wait I will. Others might not find it important and care more about the driving experience. I think Alfa has that nailed down with the Stelvio. I need a little bit of both worlds and have the luxury to wait so for now that's what I will do and see how everything pans out. Everyone's needs and dependence upon tech is different and I think we are both going to have to make a decision and live with it, pick what's more important especially if you plan to keep the car a while.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've gone from a vehicle with a HUD to one without before and it was the one thing I missed the most so I'm not looking forward to giving up the HUD in my current vehicle.
I typically disable the lane keeping features off anyways as it annoys me.

My decision came down to the Audi Q5/ SQ5 and the Stelvio. The Audi has the awesome reconfigurable virtual gauges and the HUD that I really liked but I just found the Stelvio more engaging to drive and made me feel like a kid again behind the wheel.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've gone from a vehicle with a HUD to one without before and it was the one thing I missed the most so I'm not looking forward to giving up the HUD in my current vehicle.
I typically disable the lane keeping features off anyways as it annoys me.

My decision came down to the Audi Q5/ SQ5 and the Stelvio. The Audi has the awesome reconfigurable virtual gauges and the HUD that I really liked but I just found the Stelvio more engaging to drive and made me feel like a kid again behind the wheel.
Yeah, HUD was my top want for my next car, my current does not have it. Its not a want that's entirely "fancy" or "fashionable" (although yeah its very cool) I really find it to be a big safety feature, anything that keeps your eyes on the road rather than a screen where your eyes are off the road. That Audi virtual dash is unbelievable but agree the Quattro is totally different type of ride. I never test drove an SQ5, curious how you think it compares to the Stelvio.

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Subject to aural migraines, the depth of field of a heads up would be a trigger. For the life of me, I can't think what it would add to the drive experience. Sort of like not liking the garnish on an amazing steak and ordering quiche instead. Maybe it's demographics but tech doodads are a frustrating distraction to me. Clean, functional design elegance without the bells and whistles is what turns me on. Or maybe I'm too much of a purist? Good design isn't always flashing like a pinball machine. I guess that's why we have so many clown car Lexi/Murano/Infiniti out there (or spell checkers that increase mistakes when you type)!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Subject to aural migraines, the depth of field of a heads up would be a trigger. For the life of me, I can't think what it would add to the drive experience. Sort of like not liking the garnish on an amazing steak and ordering quiche instead. Maybe it's demographics but tech doodads are a frustrating distraction to me. Clean, functional design elegance without the bells and whistles is what turns me on. Good design isn't always flashing like a pinball machine.
I agree to a certain extent but have you ever seen what it looks like? It doesn't really "flash" and I find it to be minimally distracting while you still see it..hard to explain I guess. And I believe you can adjust things on most systems like what and how much info to display and its brightness to suit your needs. Plus each manufacturer implements it a little differently

I like having the navigation turns and my speed right where I'm looking (at the road) instead of somewhere else. Again not something that is a totally necessity for most but some of us like the feature. I hope they offer it in the future.

Again everyone's tech needs and wants are very subjective, it does not take away from the awesome drive experience so in getting back to the thread topic I think its going to be personal choice and some are going to say they miss(tech) and some wont miss anything. It solely depends upon you and I think we are both going to have to actually take the plunge and drive the car for awhile before we can determine if we can live without the tech or not so that's why I'm proceeding slowly and at least waiting until Car Play.

·
Read Only
849 Posts
I'm very sorry for the features not included inside my stelvio but.....

But I like drive this sporty SUV, it's awesome and I well know what I wrote

Next steps, arctic circle and the desert

·
Registered
536 Posts
well I had an evoque which was a great car, but the 9 speed tranny was awful. The stelvio feels much tighter and sportier than the evoque even tho it's slightly bigger.

Not really super gadget interested so HUD isn't of any interest for me. I actually think they're putting too much gadgetry on all the cars now making it obscenely expensive to fix once the warranty is up. But the manuf. don't want you keeping cars they want you buying new ones!

·
Registered
111 Posts
We're not coming from a luxury brand so we weren't used to all of the tech stuff anyway, except CarPlay. That system just works extremely well for us so, like @mmorettli, we're willing to wait for it. I loved the test drive as did my wife, who's vehicle this will be, even though she only sat in the passenger seat. The Stelvio gives us just enough luxury while giving a phenomenal driving experience. The tech, once CarPlay is available, will be just enough as well. To be honest, I abhor most of the safety features as they seem primarily aimed at people who are prone to distracted driving in the first place. I appreciate what they can do, but I really have no use for them.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah, HUD was my top want for my next car, my current does not have it. Its not a want that's entirely "fancy" or "fashionable" (although yeah its very cool) I really find it to be a big safety feature, anything that keeps your eyes on the road rather than a screen where your eyes are off the road. That Audi virtual dash is unbelievable but agree the Quattro is totally different type of ride. I never test drove an SQ5, curious how you think it compares to the Stelvio.
The base vehicles of most manufacturers are more than quick enough so for me spending more to go into their performance model has to be an emotional response. That "gotta have it" factor and the SQ5 just didn't do it for me.
Sure it had bigger wheels and wider tires but it looks like every other Q5 on the road, nothing to indicate anything special. Fake exhaust tips on the back.....no thanks.
The interior was very high quality and the tech in it was awesome. It didn't seem as fast as it should be considering it's engine ratings and it's only about 3 tenths faster than the base Stelvio. In performance setting it made more noise but was still too subdued in its exhaust sounds.
I wouldn't begrudge anyone that bought one, but I just had no interest in driving it a second time.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've found HUD's to be a pain (even on my wife's former car, a BMW 650i convertible) in the day, since they seem never to be tuned to polarized sunglasses, so you have to til your head sideways to actually see the hud with polarized sunglasses on. With the center screen of the driver's dashboard in the Stelvio showing a nice large digital speed reading, I do not miss the HUD at all, and the speedo and tach are easy to see as well as the cruise control indicator light at the top of the center dash screen.

I have a fairly loaded 2018 TI Sport, and assume the same driver dash is on all Stelvios. There are three center screen options on mine accessed from the button on the end of the wiper arm, though I saw a 4th screen one afternoon last week, but it went away and I have not been able to get it back (or tried to with any real effort).

With respect to the Apple play or other technology, if that is your thing, go for it, wait for it, or whatever, but every day you wait is a day you could have been driving one of the most enjoyable crossovers ever built - you know, the drivetrain et al. on the Stelvio is the same as the Giulia, 2018 car of the year - I drove the Giulia Quadrifoglio and can attest to the difference in power (505 v 280, crazy in race mode), so there is the more exciting powertrain version of the Stelvio coming soon, but the 280 horses in the Ti Sport work for me ...

·
Registered
534 Posts
though I saw a 4th screen one afternoon last week, but it went away and I have not been able to get it back (or tried to with any real effort).
Could that have been the G-Force display screen which only shows up in Dynamic mode?

·
Registered
356 Posts
It was a time graph of mileage, and maybe it was just that I had the second screen up for a long enough time for the graph to appear? (I wish the G-force indicator icons were larger.)

·
Registered
356 Posts
picture of center dash - easy to see, so HUD not so big a deal for me...

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
So are the center screens different for each driving mode?

·
Registered
536 Posts
for dynamic and normal they are. A cool detail that was on the 4c I wish they'd have put on the stelvio,
when in dynamic modes all the readouts are in red.

I also just found out you have to hit the menu on the center console to be able see TPMS and oil level.

So are the center screens different for each driving mode?

·
Registered
356 Posts
and, driving an Alfa trumps just about everything (automotive at least)...

Reactions: CalgaryStelvio

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm thinking the hardware is likely to support a whole lot of visuals software not yet developed or deployed - thoughts on that?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you to everyone who has weighed in so far! The feedback is all very helpful and I think helping to confirm where I'm headed with a decision. For me, it comes down to what I'm willing to live without on a daily basis. The Audi comes with arguabley the best cabin and overall tech in the market with digital cockpit, a well adapted and striking HUD, 360 camera, and lane keep assist (vs Alfa's annoying warning). But the Stelvio (much cooler name by the way than Q5 or A5) should bring an engaging driving experience every minute I'm in the car and ultimately that is more important to me than the better technology.

Ultimately, I need to decide whether I want to wait for Android Auto in the car or just pull the trigger now and make a great deal given the inventory without it sitting on the lots here in Chicago. I'm also thinking about upgrading to the QV in a year or two and could add whatever additional tech is available at that time.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Sounds like the best solution is to get into a Stelvio now, and have a good time in a super ride! Good luck.

You'l appreciate the simplicity and artful interior of the Stelvio and if you get the sport seats, you'l constantly be stomping on the gas in the curves just cuz it feels so good...

Ciao!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts